Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-15-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
I just launched a Surfing meetup group for folks from in and around KC. It's called www.surfinkc.com or better yet Facebook.com/surfinkc as the website is still a work in progress.

I've gotten really good response, including from our local cable park/Mastercraft dealer and it looks like we could have some good sized groups forming once Spring rolls around. If you're from KC, please check us out.

FYI, this is a meetup group for fun. It's not a business and I'm not intending to make a dime off of it. I've got plenty of jobs already. So if you're interested in helping out beyond just participating, hit me up. I can use the help.

Patrick Cuezze
2012 SAN 226
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       01-15-2015, 2:10 PM Reply   
i'll check it out.

Sean over at KC Watersports is a good guy to have involved. He has been involved in our Wake The World KC group for the last 4 years. We have about 20 inboard boat owners in that group, always looking for more (hint hint). I am sure a chunk of them would be interested in your group. I'll pass this along.

Great idea to help build the local community.
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-15-2015, 6:52 PM Reply   
I just upgraded from a jet boat and got my wakeboard boat at the end of last year and have a slip at Smithville Lake. I'd be interested in meeting up with people, I'm sure my wife gets tired of pulling me around the lake.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-15-2015, 8:17 PM Reply   
I would be interested in this as well. Where at do you normally ride at?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-16-2015, 5:25 AM Reply   
I'm interested. I have a boat on a lift from march thru November at Raintree in lees summit. 99 Malibu vlx with a makeshift surfgate.

Anyone interested in wake the world we could really use more boat owners. We have maxed out the number of kids we can get out on the lake. So the more boats we can get the more kids we can give a great experience to.
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-16-2015, 2:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
Anyone interested in wake the world we could really use more boat owners. We have maxed out the number of kids we can get out on the lake. So the more boats we can get the more kids we can give a great experience to.
Do you know when Wake the World is going to be this year? Is it going to stay at Smithville Lake?
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-16-2015, 5:20 PM Reply   
Yes smithville lake July 13 2015. You gonna make it this year? What did you upgrade to.
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-16-2015, 10:35 PM Reply   
I bought a 2014 Axis A24 with all the bells and whistles including the LS3 motor. I'll have some room for kids for sure.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2015, 6:06 PM Reply   
I mostly wakeboard but I would still be interested. I'm usually out 2-3 days a week in the summer. If anyone wants to exchange information just hit me up at mjc82610@yahoo.com.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-18-2015, 7:57 PM Reply   
Im out on Raintree lake as well with the Centurion Falcon V. Mark I believed we meet last year on the water? I would like to be at Wake the Worlds this year as well. Just depends if I can get off work.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-19-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
Kramer - I think you met me last year on the water i organize WTW KC. PM me with your info and i'll get you in the system.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-19-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz78 View Post
I just upgraded from a jet boat and got my wakeboard boat at the end of last year and have a slip at Smithville Lake. I'd be interested in meeting up with people, I'm sure my wife gets tired of pulling me around the lake.
John... I'm on smithville too, and know most of the guys up there with the wake boats. I've probably seen you out there if you've had the Yamaha the last couple years, there's a couple that are out there pretty often. If you're ever up north of the W bridge, come say hey and tie up to all the wake boats that raft up there. I believe I saw your boat towards the end of the year, did you get a Vandal edition? I noticed one of those appeared all of a sudden... if that's you, nice boat! I'd love to see it up close. I'm in a white/blue Supra with a blue bimini.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-19-2015, 3:36 PM Reply   
Hopefully this meetup thing works out. I've tried every year for the last three years I've been back in KC area to find some people in the area to ride.
Specifically looking for people on Smithville Lake as I live in Platte City now.

I am also more interested for wakeboarding not so much surfing so I'll check this out.

I have a couple buddies with Tige Z3s down on Hillsdale so I'll forward this to them also.

I just bought a 89 Supra Sunsport so will finally have my own boat, still would be nice to get a big wake pull every now and again without having to drive all the way to Hillsdale and looks like you guys have some nice rides on Smithville.

If anyone needs a solid rider to add to the rotation for weekend evenings or early mornings on Smithville look me up.
dustin.m.yost@gmail.com
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       01-20-2015, 4:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
John... I'm on smithville too, and know most of the guys up there with the wake boats. I've probably seen you out there if you've had the Yamaha the last couple years, there's a couple that are out there pretty often. If you're ever up north of the W bridge, come say hey and tie up to all the wake boats that raft up there. I believe I saw your boat towards the end of the year, did you get a Vandal edition? I noticed one of those appeared all of a sudden... if that's you, nice boat! I'd love to see it up close. I'm in a white/blue Supra with a blue bimini.

I don't have the Vandal edition, but I had a blue and white Yamaha SX210 with a tower last year. We beached our boat a lot last year so the kids could play in the sand. We normally go to the lake a lot during the week. We tend to the lake to ourselves during that time. I keep my boat at Paradise Point Marina.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-20-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
Nice, well I'll watch for you next season. Don't beach that new boat of yours... you'll tear the underwater gear off haha. Jetboats are nice for beaches, not so much your new one.

I keep mine off the lake down at Waits storage down 180th st. Paradise is where I launch.
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       01-22-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
Sorry I'm late back to this party, but thanks for all the responses. Assuming I'm not out of town, I'm totally in to bringing my boat to Wake the World. That's a really cool cause. As for meetups, I'd love for someone to run point on the Northland/Smithville. No reason we can't be at multiple lakes on the same day and I'm happy to use the web-infrastructure of surfinkc to promote it. If you're willing to help out with FB and the website, etc., hit me up and we can get it sorted out.

Once the season gets here, I'll be getting a Meetup account going and will be able to schedule some events. I'm also reaching out to board manufacturers this week to see if we can get some demos. I was thinking $15 in gas money per person for a full day 6-8 hours. Any thoughts? I know my boat is running at massive RPM's when it's fully loaded and I feel pretty confident I'm burning well more than $20/hour surfing.... The logistics of the meetup will include asking for those who have experience towing with an inboard so hopefully we can distribute drivers across multiple boats (so my sorry ass isn't just pulling people all day long). It'd also be nice to put goofys on one boat and regulars on another as best we can, especially for those of us without surf gates. If you have thoughts or commentary, let me know.

Patrick
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-22-2015, 10:05 AM Reply   
I'm down to wakeboard or surf pretty much every day of the week.. When the days are long i'll go before work ~530am in june ... and after work almost any day the water is nice. I'm in south lees summit. Raintree.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-22-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuezze View Post
Sorry I'm late back to this party, but thanks for all the responses. Assuming I'm not out of town, I'm totally in to bringing my boat to Wake the World. That's a really cool cause. As for meetups, I'd love for someone to run point on the Northland/Smithville. No reason we can't be at multiple lakes on the same day and I'm happy to use the web-infrastructure of surfinkc to promote it. If you're willing to help out with FB and the website, etc., hit me up and we can get it sorted out.

Once the season gets here, I'll be getting a Meetup account going and will be able to schedule some events. I'm also reaching out to board manufacturers this week to see if we can get some demos. I was thinking $15 in gas money per person for a full day 6-8 hours. Any thoughts? I know my boat is running at massive RPM's when it's fully loaded and I feel pretty confident I'm burning well more than $20/hour surfing.... The logistics of the meetup will include asking for those who have experience towing with an inboard so hopefully we can distribute drivers across multiple boats (so my sorry ass isn't just pulling people all day long). It'd also be nice to put goofys on one boat and regulars on another as best we can, especially for those of us without surf gates. If you have thoughts or commentary, let me know.

Patrick

Sounds like you're on the right track. I think I'd be more apt to having something more geared to getting those together who are on the same lake and getting a set in. I have no problem taking people on my boat, but I'm also not going to dedicate 6-8 straight hours of surfing for any set amount of money haha. Usually if I'm out surfing, I have no issues having someone take some time behind the boat. I don't really ask for gas money, but if people offer it I'm appreciative.

Finding more people that want to meet up with wakeboats just to try a different wave, or try someone else's surf board, or whatever would be cool. I started a facebook group last year late at the end of the year for some folks that head to smithville... more of a social thing for the time in between playing behind the boat when the water's too rough. Feel free to join, as during the season I'll be posting on it much more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/514503262018005/
Old     (Uplandbird)      Join Date: Feb 2015       03-03-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
Anyone on Perry Lake?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2015, 12:29 PM Reply   
Not in KC anymore but Rock Chalk!
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Would love to have any and all out at Lake Lotawana for some surfing. Just PM me with your contact info.

Not sure if anyone here has heard about the witch hunt happening at Lotawana right now, but the Association has sent a letter to all wakeboat owners demanding the following be done before before we can put our boats (some of which have been here for 10+ years) on the water this summer.

Remove fuses that control ballast system
Plug intake hoses with flat plugs under hull
Remove impellers that fill ballast systems
Remove hoses to ballast tanks and plug inlets
Disconnect any wires to fill systems (at the switches and at the pump)
Remove dashboard switches and replace with blanks.

None of this can be done by the boat owner, it must be done by a Lotawana Approved Certified Technician (signature required).

The estimate is about 10 hours of work x $100/hr or about $1,000 per boat owner.

Any and all ideas you have to fight this would be appreciated.

Patrick - any chance lotawana could get it's own page on your website. (e.g. surfinkc.com/lotawana)???
Old     (jdiaz78)      Join Date: Sep 2014       03-09-2015, 5:54 PM Reply   
What happens if you don't and run your boat with ballast?
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-09-2015, 6:51 PM Reply   
You get kicked off the lake for 1 year. Can't use your boat. Can't even keep your boat on your lift on your own dock, must be pulled out of the water. It's lame.

But I'm excited about the surfinkc.com meetup group. Because if you have 6 people or more you don't need ballast to throw a sick wake.

Looking forward to doing Wake the World again this year too. What a fun event.

TG
2007 Malibu.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-10-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
If I lived on Lotawana... my house would be for sale. F that. Can't use your boat's ballast system? Big middle finger to whoever passed that. This also eliminates the possibility of using your boat at any other lake. I'd never do that.

One thing it doesn't mention... external ballast. Never says anything about not bringing an "emergency bailing pump" in your boat. I'd just leave the bags and fill with an external pump if I absolutely had to.
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-12-2015, 2:49 PM Reply   
Wanted to give you an update...

The people of Lotawana united in force. Over 50 wakeboat owning families showed up to the annual meeting on 3/10/2015 and took turns voicing their opinion in front of the board of directors on why they made a terrible mistake in passing this policy without getting any input from the people they are representing (the residents of Lotawana). It helped a lot that the discussion was started by doctors and lawyers that are part of the group.

Happy to announce that the board listened to our concerns and have removed the ballast policy, and have agreed to rework it with input from the residents. Great when democracy works!!

Also - spoke with Patrick, so look for one of the first meetups of the summer to be at Lake Lotawana!!!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-23-2015, 1:22 PM Reply   
sweet that is awesome news TJ ... keep me updated on the rules as they change ... i have ruled this lake out of consideration b/c of their want to force out all wakeboarders/surferes
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-31-2015, 10:09 AM Reply   
Anyone near Longview or BlueSprings lake able to board weekdays between 9am & 4pm? you know, work hours
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-03-2015, 6:19 PM Reply   
I board a lot on the week days. Being a nurse has its perks to get good water on week days.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2015, 10:46 AM Reply   
Anybody in the water yet in the KC area?
I pulled the boat out of the garage on that killer day just this last Thursday (have had the whole week off). De-winterized, got everything running, was ready to call the wife to say lets go put in the water and she shows up with her dads truck and a bed full of trees/shrubs to plant. Brutal, so I spent the rest of that beutiful day digging holes instead.

Anybody else been out yet? My goal is next weekend, weather permitting.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-04-2015, 10:55 AM Reply   
Boat comes out of cave in 10 days

We also planted about 37 plants yesterday.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-04-2015, 8:41 PM Reply   
Got the boat out today and got the first run of the year in as well. We always shoot for getting the boat out the first week of April as long as there is no freezing temps in the long ranger.

Augie what caves do you keep your boat in? I use rock solid storage caves by Lakewood.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-05-2015, 5:27 AM Reply   
Kramer hit me up if you go out. My boat is still having gel work done. I'm down pretty much whenever I'm in town.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2015, 5:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Got the boat out today and got the first run of the year in as well. We always shoot for getting the boat out the first week of April as long as there is no freezing temps in the long ranger.

Augie what caves do you keep your boat in? I use rock solid storage caves by Lakewood.

First year using caves, used subtropolis. Nice guys, very clean storage. We need to compare notes on the caves though cause I didn't shop around for caves. Sold our old 'bu in August, got the new boat in November, it needed warranty work and finally took possession afterwards in late December. It's been a long winter. TG for snowboarding.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2015, 5:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I board a lot on the week days. Being a nurse has its perks to get good water on week days.

Let's get some may days in definitely. Try to convince some of these other guys to leave work at lunch, ha!
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-05-2015, 6:51 AM Reply   
I think rock solid may be the cheapest in town. And they are close by us down here in Raintree. I know I looked at them all 3 years ago.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-05-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartt3 View Post
I think rock solid may be the cheapest in town. And they are close by us down here in Raintree. I know I looked at them all 3 years ago.

Do they have paved floors and walled off from the rest of the cave traffic/businesses?

Subtropolis was 90 a month for the lsv I think.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       04-05-2015, 7:39 AM Reply   
its a limestone cave they only store boats rvs and cars. it has gravel floors and you will get limestone dust no your boat cover so i just use my old cover. many other put plastic over theres. its 70 a month for my VLX. i think it would be aroud the same... there is no minimum storage time my boat was in there a little short of 4 months this year.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-05-2015, 4:10 PM Reply   
The only complaint I have with rock solid is their hours. They do not have set hours, they are normally only there from 8-10 on Saturday. Other than Saturday it is very hard to get into the caves.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2015, 7:07 PM Reply   
Have boat, need drivers/riders (wakeboarding) for Smithville Lake

89 Supra sunsport, ridesteady speed control, tower, loads of ballast, definitely respectable wake.
Need people who want to ride weekday evenings and early morning weekends

Do surf some and open to it but will not burn early morning butter to surf and probably don't make many trips out if conditions don't support wakeboarding

Hit me up, or at least let me know who's out there (what boat) so I can come introduce next time I see you out.
dustin.m.yost@gmail.com
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-12-2015, 7:08 PM Reply   
All my riding buddies live in Olathe and frequent Hillsdale so been a bit of a challenge getting water time, definitely need to network the Northland crowd a little harder.
Old     (pcuezze)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-15-2015, 5:52 PM Reply   
I'm planning to be on Longview Next Thursday (June 24) from Dawn to Dusk weather permitting. We'll be wake boarding 1/2 the time and surfing the other halve. I've got a few people committed and possibly another boat or two. But if anyone is interested in riding or driving, PM me. See you on the water.

Patrick