Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-02-2014, 6:29 AM Reply   
what are you road bikers carrying for road-side repairs for flats?? I was looking at mini pumps and it seems very few are high pressure, or do most of you use the CO2 cartridges??

Fairly new to being a road biker and had my 2nd pinch flat, first one was close to home... the most recent this weekend kinda messed up my day... looking to carry the stuff needed to get me back on the road quickly. Let me know your thoughts....
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-02-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
I keep a multi-tool, two spare tubes, and a quick-stick tire lever in my saddle bag. I don't bother with tube patch kits typically. I also usually try to keep a few strips of duct tape or candy bar wrappers, as they're a pretty effective barrier between the tire and tube on the rare circumstance that you get a puncture or slice through the tire (enough to get you home). Otherwise, your new tube will just try to push through the tire puncture/gash and blow your tube again.

I have one of the small hand pumps that mounts by my lower bottle cage. Supposedly, it'll go to ~110/120 psi, but I think physically, the best I ever get is ~90 psi before I can't get any more in. For me it's an emergency pump, and if I have to swap a tube, I just ride easy until I hit home or a shop to top off the pressure. Otherwise, look into frame pumps that mount under your top tube. There are several that will hit road bike pressures, but depending on your frame geometry, they may or may not fit.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-02-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
I typically carry:
- Latex or Nitrile glove
- 3 CO2 16G cartridges
- Mini tool
- Tire lever
- Two inner tubes

I put the CO2 and mini tool into the fingers of the glove, stops the rattling noises and can save your hands from grease. During the winter I carry two gloves and use them as liners in case of freezing hands.

CO2 will leak out of inner tubes. So when you use it on the road remember to deflate the tire and pump it back up when you get home.

A dollar bill folded up makes for a great tire boot.

Remember to carry inner tubes or valve extenders long enough for your wheels. This sounds obvious till you find yourself on the side of the road with a short stem inner tube and deeper section wheel.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-02-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'm old school and use a frame pump. I carry one spare tube and a patch kit. C02 is great for the first flat, but is pretty useless when you are out of gas. With a pump and a patch kit I can suffer multiple flats in one ride and still make it home. Yes, it takes a few minutes to pump up a wheel with a pump. But it's kinda one of those "zen of cycling" things for me and I just try to enjoy the process and the fact that I can suffer a mechanical and get myself back on the road.

As noted by others, for a true "tire" failure, a folded $1 bill is the classic boot.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       09-02-2014, 10:16 AM Reply   
personally, I think the best tire boot is done by cutting a small strip out of an old tire that you're done using. cut maybe a 1" section and cut off the bead. I mean, what better to use for a tire boot than a piece of TIRE!?!?

That's what I've always done.

Oh, and what do I carry for flat tires? A cell phone! hahahahha!
"honey, can you grab the Audi wagon and come get me?"
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2014, 2:18 AM Reply   
Contents of my caddy sack:
Room for smart phone
Eftpos card
Race licence
Tube
Multi tool
Valve extender
CO2
CO2 head
Lever
Mini pump
$20

If I am riding more than 80 miles I'll take another tube in the pocket or taped to saddle rails.
Attached Images

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-04-2014, 2:22 AM Reply   
I use the CO2 because when you are riding in a group and they are waiting for you to fix your flat it is best to be as quick as possible. Pump is a good insurance policy if you mess up the Co2 or get a second flat
Old     (Lopott)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-04-2014, 4:02 AM Reply   
4 more flats and you will have it down. I carry a cell phone and my wife or a buddy pick me up. Also carry co2
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-11-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
I carry a spare tube in my saddle bag with a multiple tool. I have a small frame rail pump. I have it it for 10 years it works great .