Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-15-2014, 8:26 PM Reply   
I've been looking at wakeboard boats for a while now. Today I almost pulled the trigger on used Tige RZ2. My father-in-law talked to my wife about the purchase. He keeps saying I won't like the boat compared to a regular I/O like a sea ray, Chaparral, Larson, etc. because the wakeboard boats don't handle like these. I know that they are two different beasts but my kids want to do wakeboard and wake surf. The lake I will use can get a little choppy. For that reason I have been looking for used Avys, Enzo's, and Tige 22V, Ve, and RZ2s.

Have any of you regretted your decision to purchase your boats? I really like the boats friendly layout. I plan on using the boats to cruise, tube, and wake sports. Any other arguments I can use with my father-in-law would be greatly appreciated.

lbostons
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-15-2014, 8:52 PM Reply   
Unless he is paying for it buy what you want.
Old     (MBofTexas)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-15-2014, 8:54 PM Reply   
Oh and you will not regret the purchase if you are going to use it for wakeboarding and surfing. You will never get the wake you need or want unless you buy a boat made for that purpose.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       08-15-2014, 9:05 PM Reply   
He's entirely backwards on the "handling" comment btw. Unless he means they are very different.
At driving speeds no I/O can compare to a inboard at all.
At no throttle then yes an I/o is "easier" until you get used to the inboard.

Last edited by 99Bison; 08-15-2014 at 9:09 PM.
Old     (jordanh)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2014, 9:53 PM Reply   
Low speeds, at the dock, etc an I/O is easier. On the water an inboard is like a go kart where a I/O is like a truck. I have not for one second regretted selling my I/O for my inboard. Just curious, has your in law owned an inboard... Or is he blowing smoke?
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-15-2014, 10:41 PM Reply   
The Centurion Avalanche is an awesome big water boat. Some friends of mine were looking at I/O's and Purchased an 06 Avalanche. They love it and probAbly the nicest rough water ride. I have also spent time in an RZ2 and my experience is that it would be a horrible boat for large water. I like the boat but the nose is too close to water. I won't ever buy an I/O so that would not be a discussion we would have.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-15-2014, 10:57 PM Reply   
I absolutely love my 2013 VLX, loved my 2005 VLX before that, even loved my 1992 Sunsport dd before that. Like others have said he probably didn't like the low speed maneuvering near the dock, but after a little bit you will learn the finesse. Inboards will pop out of the water and will have torque like you won't believe. The bow rise isn't going to seem like it is trying to jump out of the water like the io. Your resale value will stay nearly static, you won't lose money like an io. Your maintenance will actually be easier and cheaper (ever seen what it would be to replace the bellows). Wakesurfing is dangerous behind an io. Unless you want to take a chance at killing or mangling your rider, don't get an io and surf behind it. Your wakeboarding wake will better formed in even an old DD than in an io. Yes, it would be ridable, but every io wake I have ever seen is washy even on the best of days, throw some weight in the boat (very little) and you will have a tough time getting it to clean up at all. Quite frankly, A tournament inboard is to ferrari as an io is to a camry. You would absolutely not regret your decision with the goals you have stated here.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2014, 11:18 PM Reply   
Not sure if this means anything to you and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but, you can't surf with an I/O.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2014, 11:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Not sure if this means anything to you and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet but, you can't surf with an I/O.
Oops. Ryan must have been typing at the same time.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-15-2014, 11:36 PM Reply   
I haven't missed my I/O from the moment it left my driveway. You will love a V drive boat for watersports. no comparison.
Old    dbrayton1            08-16-2014, 8:22 AM Reply   
I've owned everything from a 23 ft Chaparral to a 36 ft Cruisers yacht over the years. Our current boat is a Nautique 226. IMO, Without a doubt, if board sports are your main objective, vdrive is the only choice. You cannot safely, or legally in most places, surf behind an I/O for starters. That being said, I personally wouldn't take my vdrive out to texoma to cruise around and hang at the islands. A big I/O with a deep v will always work better in that scenario. So it boils down to priorities. We went v drive because we want the option to surf and a boat that could pop skiiers and boarders out quickly and comfortably with a full load.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-16-2014, 9:19 AM Reply   
I/o is a horrible family boat! These wake board are made for families! It's so nice just to shut the boat off let the kids run off the back and jump in the water and swim! Platform is Waterlevel don't have to worry about the kids banging heads a knees on that stupid I/o prop.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-16-2014, 9:59 AM Reply   
I/O is the biggest mistake you can make... it honestly combines the worst parts of outboards and inboards into one package.

.... The inboard will out maneuver the I/O in all ways but backing up, you'll have less control. Beyond that the inboard is going to be better for all watersports, keep in mind you SHOULD NEVER surf behind an I/O - EVER.

You will regret an I/O, I promise.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
A friend of mine was looking for a boat. He came to me in spring asking questions and of course I recommended a good used Vdrive. They went out and bought a brand new I/O 21 footer for like $60k. After using it this year and than coming on my X30 he wished he would have listened to me. No offense to I/O owners, but for wakeboarding and surfing I/Os suck, they just do. Speed control, wake, tracking are all sub par compared to a Vdrive.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-16-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
I'll kill your father in law!! Just sayin'. In a today voice tell him,"out your ass you are talking hmmm"
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-16-2014, 1:07 PM Reply   
Yoda^^^
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-16-2014, 3:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Saw someone doing this the other day - we cringed so hard. I almost stopped them to say something, but realized that nobody ever wants to be told anything - so I let them take their lives into their hands.
Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-16-2014, 4:00 PM Reply   
Guys (and gals?) it truly appreciate the solid feedback. This was my attitude the whole time. I think I was convinced after the first reply posting because that is what I told my wife.

I will continue my search... When I finally buy I will post some pictures.

lbostons
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-18-2014, 6:13 AM Reply   
I bought a Centurion Enzo after owning a couple of I/Os. I live on lake Erie and it is anything but flat. My Enzo handles great. My buddy has a SAN 226 and my brother in law has a moomba xlv both handle the lake but are way ruff and slam a lot.
I love the open cockpit of a v-drive. My kids love summer on the boat.
Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-20-2014, 2:16 AM Reply   
Thanks nailem for the reply. I know how rough Erie (I'm an Ohio guy) can get, it's no joke. I would really love an enzo if I can squeeze it in my budget.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-20-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Where at in Ohio? Have you ever surfed behind an Enzo? Seasons almost over but if your ever in Erie I could give you a tow.
Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-21-2014, 6:09 AM Reply   
No not yet Nailem, I'm just south of Columbus and pretty much work right across from OSU. If I'm ever up that way I would gladly take you up on the offer.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       08-21-2014, 6:14 AM Reply   
haha... Sounds like the "father in law" is totally old skool and won't give up his 72 Ford Pinto for nothin!
Old     (chriscno)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-26-2014, 4:38 PM Reply   
I love my 2014 Malibu LSV. Puts out a great surf wake and wakeboard wake without additional ballast. The boat can hold 15 comfortable and is a ton of fun.
Attached Images

Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-27-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Very nice looking boat. I'm pretty sure I would have to sell internal organs for me to afford that boat. Three kids will affect anyone's budget I guess. I'm totally envious.
Old     (rznhales)      Join Date: May 2012       08-27-2014, 2:42 PM Reply   
How about this one?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...arch=&ad_cid=8
Old     (lbostons)      Join Date: Jul 2014       08-27-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
Yep that's definitely in my price range but I have my heart set on an Avy. I just missed out on one for $~28K. I was bummed for 2 days.