Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (gforce)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-23-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Can I get peoples thoughts, likes/dislikes on an MB B52 23', an Axis A22, and a Mastercraft NXT 22? Trying to figure out which one to go with?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2015, 4:47 PM Reply   
Nxt 22. It's in a different league.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
Yeah, bush league
Old     (Josh4mc)      Join Date: Aug 2015       09-23-2015, 8:37 PM Reply   
First, be prepared for a fire storm from the brand loyalist. What are you primarily looking for in a boat? Space, surf, wake boarding, fit/finish/, price, etc?

The MB B52 23' is not a fair comparison to the A22 and NXT 22 because it is a larger boat and not a pickle fork. The MB F22 would be closer. I have not stepped foot into a NXT 22 and they just came out so I don't know how much feedback you will get for it. I have been in a B52 and the A22. I think they are both nice boats.

The vinyl on the Axis boats seemed nicer this year compared to last and they extended the warranty to 5 years. They have some of the best surf waves and wake boarding wakes and have great technology locked down with the wedge and surfgate. Being made by Malibu and having a national presence is assuring. They are known for their performance behind the boat. Some concerns are the interior quality and that you have to add a lot of options to get to an equivalent of what MB offers standard.

The MB's interior is pretty impressive quality wise. They are using the new Ford Raptor motors which are supposed to be more fuel efficient and provide good performance. They just started using Go Surf Assist this year for their surf system and while I have seen a few impressive videos of the wave I have also read about people having a hard time dialing it in. They also added PnP ballast to the rear lockers and a complete Exile stereo system this year. I think most of the concerns for the MB come from aesthetics like the tower and dash(Axis too). They are a regional brand so you may not have a dealer close to you and they are not as well known which could affect resale.

Go climb in, drive and get towed by them and you will start to form your own opinion. I would suggest looking at the A22 vs F22 and the T23 vs the B52 23. I don't think you could go wrong and I know I would be happy as hell to own any of them.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2015, 4:57 AM Reply   
Might as well throw the Moomba Craz into the mix as well. All of the boats are great. It really comes down to personal preference.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-24-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the MB or the NXT, but I can speak for the A22.

I have a new A22 and it's been great. 160 trouble free hours in 5 months. With the new gear ratio you can get away with the standard 350 motor and still have the giant wake. Between stock tanks, PNP, and wedge, there's no need to mess with filling up sacks. The interior is really nice now. And you have the support of Malibu behind the brand.

Shameless plug....mine is for sale so that I can buy a 2016.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-24-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
I'd love to ride a loaded up a22! No body seems to ever say anything bad about that boats wake.
Old     (gforce)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-24-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Delta Force, what makes you say the NXT is in a different league?
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-24-2015, 12:26 PM Reply   
^^because he read the MC marketing? Just a guess.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-24-2015, 3:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
I'd love to ride a loaded up a22! No body seems to ever say anything bad about that boats wake.
There isn't anything bad about the wake. It delivers. I still prefer it over the x20 wake and G21 wake. I am not skilled enough to ride the G21 wake. It feels like I am running into a vertical wall and then getting punted into the air like a football.

If surfing is your thing, then all of them are good quality surf wakes with good push and clean lips.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-24-2015, 5:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
There isn't anything bad about the wake. It delivers. I still prefer it over the x20 wake and G21 wake. I am not skilled enough to ride the G21 wake. It feels like I am running into a vertical wall and then getting punted into the air like a football.

If surfing is your thing, then all of them are good quality surf wakes with good push and clean lips.

Sounds like u and I have the same wake preference! I've heard the g21 gets alittle abrupt if that's the case I'm probably not a fan. I do love the g23 wake however!
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-06-2015, 4:02 PM Reply   
I just went through the same dilema. I also added in the Mojo to the mix. Guys above throw the Tomcat in the mix instead of the B52. But I wasnt comparing boats with similar characteristics as much as I was comparing boats in similar price ranges(probably what your doing) The NXT22 had just come out and they didnt have any to drive. The local dealer had a couple on order here and actually let me customize one just how I would like it with $1000 down(fully refundable upon test drive).

Here is what my assesment was on all of them.

MB: Pros: Great build quality, huge boat, includes the best stereo out of all 4, vinyl was top notch, infinite color options, best surf wave from factory. My favorite. Cons: Tower looks eh... kinda goofy to me. No transom controls available for the boat, no local dealer

Axis A24: Build quality was by far the lowest, but it had the most interior room, great wetsounds stereo(needed heavy tuning), ugly dash. Just felt very sub par on quality to all others

MC NXT22: Quality was GREAT, smaller than others, interior seats and cushions were super plain, did not handle as well as others(especially weighted), best looking dash by far, would require $5K+ worth of stereo just to get started, due to hard tank placment in lockers, there is no room for larger ballast bags. Includes built in igloo cooller... but its the smallest igloo they make. Goofy bmini. The 5.7 was severely underpowered compared to the others

Mojo: Handled the best, 2nd best surf wave, local dealer, lowest cost, stereo sux,

I am deciding between the Mojo and B52, will pull trigger in spring.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-06-2015, 7:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMZAK View Post
I just went through the same dilema. I also added in the Mojo to the mix. Guys above throw the Tomcat in the mix instead of the B52. But I wasnt comparing boats with similar characteristics as much as I was comparing boats in similar price ranges(probably what your doing) The NXT22 had just come out and they didnt have any to drive. The local dealer had a couple on order here and actually let me customize one just how I would like it with $1000 down(fully refundable upon test drive).

Here is what my assesment was on all of them.

MB: Pros: Great build quality, huge boat, includes the best stereo out of all 4, vinyl was top notch, infinite color options, best surf wave from factory. My favorite. Cons: Tower looks eh... kinda goofy to me. No transom controls available for the boat, no local dealer

Axis A24: Build quality was by far the lowest, but it had the most interior room, great wetsounds stereo(needed heavy tuning), ugly dash. Just felt very sub par on quality to all others

MC NXT22: Quality was GREAT, smaller than others, interior seats and cushions were super plain, did not handle as well as others(especially weighted), best looking dash by far, would require $5K+ worth of stereo just to get started, due to hard tank placment in lockers, there is no room for larger ballast bags. Includes built in igloo cooller... but its the smallest igloo they make. Goofy bmini. The 5.7 was severely underpowered compared to the others

Mojo: Handled the best, 2nd best surf wave, local dealer, lowest cost, stereo sux,

I am deciding between the Mojo and B52, will pull trigger in spring.
Good deal. The mojo is a nice boat. I am guessing you tried one with the flow system and not the manual surf system. I am not impressed with the manual system. I would avoid a boat with it.
Old     (RAMZAK)      Join Date: Aug 2014       10-12-2015, 11:16 AM Reply   
Yes, it was a 2016 with automatic flow