Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 7:56 AM Reply   
Hi, I'm new to the forum and to the sport of wakesurfing. Last summer, my son and I both had an opportunity to go to a wakesurfing demo day while we were on vacation at Lake Martin, AL and absolutely fell in love with it. We both wakeboarded at the time behind our Sea Ray sterndrive but neither of us could get rid of the wakesurf bug. Now we have our boat up for sale and are in the market for an inboard that we can mostly surf but occasionally continue to wakeboard as well.

I've spent a considerable amount of time online trying to research boat brands and prices. I've ended up here in hopes of getting feedback from all of you here that have considerable more experience as boat owners and as surfers. We are going to buy something used because unfortunately there's no way I can touch these new boat prices. My current range is mid 40-50K . I have a few questions that hopefully you can answer:

What brands/models are better for surfing in my price range?
What year boat should I start my search from? (Basically I don't want to drop a bunch of money to get the boat and then have to immediately start having to add on stuff just to get a surfable wave. I want to get into the year/make/model that will get me in the game and allow me to surf. ** I'm fine with adding ballasts, ect. to tweak things later**)

Also, am I correct in that the MC GEN 1 system is a no go and a 2012 X2 with the Medallian software system isn't a wise investment? I was set to buy one (very good price) until I started reading about their software issues and the GEN 1 system.

Last edited by Dswitz; 03-07-2018 at 8:00 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-07-2018, 10:45 AM Reply   
You could probably get into a new or close to it Moomba Mondo or Helix for that price range.
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-07-2018, 3:45 PM Reply   
There are a LOT of options in that price range. For ME, I'd stay away from the Mastercrafts in that price range as I don't think their surf systems were very good.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 7:09 PM Reply   
Thanks. I've looked at a few used Moombas for sale online but haven't been able to find one close to me at the right price.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-07-2018, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by getssum View Post
There are a LOT of options in that price range. For ME, I'd stay away from the Mastercrafts in that price range as I don't think their surf systems were very good.
What brand would you recommend and around what model year should I try to stay within as far as when surf systems started being installed on them.

The MC Gen 2 system isn't very good?
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-07-2018, 11:37 PM Reply   
Mc surf boats really weren’t anything great for the price point you’re interested in..
like others have said newer used Moombas would be great. Older Tige’s put out an amazing wave as well. You could get into a 24ve for way under budget add a surf system, custom ballast and be set.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-08-2018, 9:32 AM Reply   
Get a used MB or Supreme if surfing is your priority
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-08-2018, 1:15 PM Reply   
Like someone said, you have A LOT of choices lol.. even more when you have no restriction.

First thing to consider is where you want to buy it. Dealer proximity is a must. Those type of boat break, it’s just a normality. Having a brand dealer near by is VERY helpful.

Personally i would take a boat still having a year or two warranty. If it’s your first surf boat maybe it’s a good thing to know your back is protected in case of proplems and don’t spend 2-3K on a new steering wheel or something like that.

You have the option to have a new boat at this price too (or very near) Like a Moomba Mondo or Helix. If not easily get a 2017 leftover for sure.
They are solid bang for the buck boat.
The surf well and simple. It’s a perfect first surf boat.
They are only 20ft boat tho. Kind of little but I don’t know what kind of boat you used to.
I find Moomba the best economic brand for beginners. Not a world class surf wave but definitely does the job well.
Wave not big enough, change rear fatsac and it’s done.

It’s up to you, do you want a new boat all 5year warranty in the economic brand or a used boat more luxury..
It’s like cars some may prefer a new Honda Civic over a used Acura TL. Some would prefer the opposite.

In your price range. Maybe avoid Nautique, MasterCraft, Supra. They are expensive boats so they gonna be too old, too used and maybe not up to date with surf technology.
but it’s just my personal opinion. (Yes i would prefer a brand new 2018 Honda Accord over a 2008 Mercedes C63 )

Best bargain are in the first 3years. Boats lost a lot of money in the first 3 years. So buying a 2016 Moomba mojo, centurion, MB sport could be very interesting.
Price dropped 10 even 15 sometimes if your lucky and fall into a big deal. Still on warranty and not much hours.

Had few problems with Tige brand. So for me it’s not the most «*reliable*» brand.

Some Malibu may be in your range too with not so much year on the clock. (They loose a lot in their prime years because it have so many on the market)
Axis, I would definitlely buy a Moomba before that putting my money on one.

Don’t forget that all «*surf*» boats surf well for a beginner theses days.
All boat have their pos and cons. But in the end pretty much all does the same job, more a personal preference choice.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mike88; 03-08-2018 at 1:22 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-09-2018, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Like someone said, you have A LOT of choices lol.. even more when you have no restriction.

First thing to consider is where you want to buy it. Dealer proximity is a must. Those type of boat break, it’s just a normality. Having a brand dealer near by is VERY helpful.

Personally i would take a boat still having a year or two warranty. If it’s your first surf boat maybe it’s a good thing to know your back is protected in case of proplems and don’t spend 2-3K on a new steering wheel or something like that.

You have the option to have a new boat at this price too (or very near) Like a Moomba Mondo or Helix. If not easily get a 2017 leftover for sure.
They are solid bang for the buck boat.
The surf well and simple. It’s a perfect first surf boat.
They are only 20ft boat tho. Kind of little but I don’t know what kind of boat you used to.
I find Moomba the best economic brand for beginners. Not a world class surf wave but definitely does the job well.
Wave not big enough, change rear fatsac and it’s done

It’s up to you, do you want a new boat all 5year warranty in the economic brand or a used boat more luxury..
It’s like cars some may prefer a new Honda Civic over a used Acura TL. Some would prefer the opposite.

In your price range. Maybe avoid Nautique, MasterCraft, Supra. They are expensive boats so they gonna be too old, too used and maybe not up to date with surf technology.
but it’s just my personal opinion. (Yes i would prefer a brand new 2018 Honda Accord over a 2008 Mercedes C63 )

Best bargain are in the first 3years. Boats lost a lot of money in the first 3 years. So buying a 2016 Moomba mojo, centurion, MB sport could be very interesting.
Price dropped 10 even 15 sometimes if your lucky and fall into a big deal. Still on warranty and not much hours.

Had few problems with Tige brand. So for me it’s not the most «*reliable*» brand.

Some Malibu may be in your range too with not so much year on the clock. (They loose a lot in their prime years because it have so many on the market)
Axis, I would definitlely buy a Moomba before that putting my money on one.

Don’t forget that all «*surf*» boats surf well for a beginner theses days.
All boat have their pos and cons. But in the end pretty much all does the same job, more a personal preference choice.

Good luck!
Wow, thanks for that info. I really appreciate it.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-09-2018, 7:59 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for all the information and suggestions, I really appreciate it. It sounds like Moomba is a general consensus among many for being a quality entry level boat at the price point I'm considering. If anyone comes across one, please pass the info on to me. I've spend at good amount of time on onlyinboards but no luck so far.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-09-2018, 8:09 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say ALL surf boats surf well these days. See MC comments above. with your price range, you'd be wise to consider the gently used market.

how many folks in your regular crew? i don't know about Mike, but no way in hell i'd have a 20' boat. put 3 ppl in it with their crap and it starts feeling crowded.
lake size would also dictate what size you'd start looking into. bigger lakes need a bigger boat. you could find a 24' in your price range or a 20'. huge difference. for me, 23' is perfect.

Moomba's doing a lot of things right. but there's a ton of boats within your budget. better appointed boats too IMO.

personally, i'd look at a Centurion enzo 24 if surf if your priority. MB makes a couple good surf boats.

if warranty is for some reason a priority (better to know a good boat mech) make sure its transferrable. most manufacturer warranties are not.

bottom line: which boats have "curb appeal" to you? If you don't get a chubby the first 100 times you look at it, it's the wrong boat. EVERY maker has something in your range. give us a little direction and we can pick out best models. you're gonna be listing it and likely adding a wakeshaper, so options are endless.

Last edited by denverd1; 03-09-2018 at 8:12 AM.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-09-2018, 10:10 AM Reply   
We are really big Fans of Mid 2000s Supra 22 SSV. The second shot is of a Tige' 24V another good one that produces a HUGE wave. Both these would likely land you under budget.
Attached Images

Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-09-2018, 12:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I wouldn't say ALL surf boats surf well these days. See MC comments above. with your price range, you'd be wise to consider the gently used market.

how many folks in your regular crew? i don't know about Mike, but no way in hell i'd have a 20' boat. put 3 ppl in it with their crap and it starts feeling crowded.
lake size would also dictate what size you'd start looking into. bigger lakes need a bigger boat. you could find a 24' in your price range or a 20'. huge difference. for me, 23' is perfect.

Moomba's doing a lot of things right. but there's a ton of boats within your budget. better appointed boats too IMO.

personally, i'd look at a Centurion enzo 24 if surf if your priority. MB makes a couple good surf boats.

if warranty is for some reason a priority (better to know a good boat mech) make sure its transferrable. most manufacturer warranties are not.

bottom line: which boats have "curb appeal" to you? If you don't get a chubby the first 100 times you look at it, it's the wrong boat. EVERY maker has something in your range. give us a little direction and we can pick out best models. you're gonna be listing it and likely adding a wakeshaper, so options are endless.
Yeah that was the primary issue,
Like I said in my comment. 20ft boat are little. (And me too I would never owned a 20ft again)
But passing from a 16´ jetboat a 20´ v-drive is a big step for someone too. (I don’t know his past on boat owning)
I’ve said that because the OP was saying pretty much him and his son.
But yes it’s a good thing to know that few people in a 20footer is a mess haha.
That’s why a barely used mojo, MB or centurion is a good thing to check,

Personally I have a 21ft and I found it perfect (since my lake is weight restricted 4,999 pounds dry).
We are MAX 5 or 6 people in the boat and 80% of the time just my gf, my little boy and me.
23ft was definitely too big for my needs and little bit too tall for our snake shaped lake.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-09-2018, 9:45 PM Reply   
For your first true watersports boat a 20ft boat is more than enough.. I have so many memories, behind our old r20. I’d go have some fun surfing with the big boy boats, trying new tricks but I would always come back to our little baby and land them there first. Easily competes with a bigger boat when she’s all dialed in.

https://www.gtperform.com/product-page/2014-tige-r20
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2018, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Yeah that was the primary issue,
Like I said in my comment. 20ft boat are little. (And me too I would never owned a 20ft again)
But passing from a 16´ jetboat a 20´ v-drive is a big step for someone too. (I don’t know his past on boat owning)
I’ve said that because the OP was saying pretty much him and his son.
But yes it’s a good thing to know that few people in a 20footer is a mess haha.
That’s why a barely used mojo, MB or centurion is a good thing to check,

Personally I have a 21ft and I found it perfect (since my lake is weight restricted 4,999 pounds dry).
We are MAX 5 or 6 people in the boat and 80% of the time just my gf, my little boy and me.
23ft was definitely too big for my needs and little bit too tall for our snake shaped lake.
Yes, for us, it will be just myself, the wife, and 13 yr old son in the boat 90% of the time. My son will have a friend or two on occasion and we may have another 2 people in the boat every now and then.

As far as previous boat ownership, I've had a j21' Sea Ray 210 Select sterndrive for the last 3 years and just sold it a few days ago. So a 21' will probably suit us just fine being our first true inboard.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2018, 12:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
We are really big Fans of Mid 2000s Supra 22 SSV. The second shot is of a Tige' 24V another good one that produces a HUGE wave. Both these would likely land you under budget.
That Tige wave IS HUGE. You mention being a fan of the MId 200s Supra. I guess my biggest questions when it comes to that is how do you produce a surfable wave with an older model boat like that? (more ballast and a suction gate?) And will a more current model boat with a "surf system" give you a better more consistent wave? I apologize if these appear to be dumb questions, I just want to learn as much as I can and make an informed decision bc I plan to have this boat for a while. I want to make sure I get what I need.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-10-2018, 1:34 PM Reply   
If it’s just the 3 of you, you could easily get away with a 20ft boat. Today’s 20ft boats feel similar to a older 22ft boat.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2018, 1:44 PM Reply   
Quote:

It will primarily be just myself, wife, and 13 yr old son. He'll have a few friends occasionally but for the most part, it will just be the 3 of us. As far as where we'll be boating: mostly in the river on the Alabama Gulf Coast and Lake Martin in Northern Alabama. My previous boat (I just sold it) was a 21' Sea Ray bowrider with sterndrive.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2018, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
If it’s just the 3 of you, you could easily get away with a 20ft boat. Today’s 20ft boats feel similar to a older 22ft boat.
Thanks, Surfer.
Old     (Surfer101)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-10-2018, 2:17 PM Reply   
The Searay you had before was most likely 22ft including the platform. Wake boats are measured by the boat length without the platform, so size wise a 20ft surf boat would be like a 22/23ft searay.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-10-2018, 3:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer101 View Post
The Searay you had before was most likely 22ft including the platform. Wake boats are measured by the boat length without the platform, so size wise a 20ft surf boat would be like a 22/23ft searay.
I did not realize that. That's good to know bc our Sea Ray was a good size for us but if I find a good used 23' , having more room will be a plus.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-11-2018, 6:42 AM Reply   
23’ wakeboard boat is pretty big. My Craz is 22.5’ and it’s plenty big.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       03-11-2018, 6:05 PM Reply   
If you don't need a 23ft boat then I would seriously consider 21ft boat.

With a 23ft boat you will be on the upper limit of coming capacity of a 1/2 ton Truck or similar SUV.

You also mentioned you still want to wakeboard but there has been no discussion on wakeboarding wakes. In all likelihood any of the boats discussed would be a step up in terms of Wakeboarding from your SeaRay but still worth knowing which of these boats still wakeboard well.

I think it would be helpful if people chipped in with details of the Wakeboarding wakes on the boats discussed.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-11-2018, 7:24 PM Reply   
Thing is, most best «*waksurf*» boats wakeboard great. And on the other side best wakeboard boats aren’t the best surfable ones.
But it’s really a «*pro*» whim lol..

For example (my personal opinion) Axis is the wakeboard master (my top 1) But is my last surf boat. for me surfgate is the worst surf system but for others it will be the best, each person is different.
In the other hand Centurion could be my favorite surf boat and it wakeboard great like almost every other top surf boats. A wakeboard wake is easier to achieve and set than a surf wave.
Tigé is the only brand that comes in my head to have a wonderful surf wave and a not so much good wakeboard wake. Due to the hull, the hull is super for surfing and fuel consumption but at higher speed it’s a bit more difficult to dial perfectly and it’s easy to unbalance.
I will say it another time it’s just simple whim tho. Because for a beginner it does the job perfectly

As you said Paul instead is a very good point, 23ft are usually limit capacity for a 1/2 truck.
I wouldn’t take a 23footer for my first towboat either For few other reasons too.

I love the 21ft. It’s not too small, it’s not too big. It makes a BIG difference between a 20 (even if it’s just one feet) and i found it drove more easily than a 23.
When you haven’t owned a surf boat you got to acclimate with driving, docking, towing and things like that. A 23ft boat is kind of a big boy.
But in the other hand some people would prefer that. It’s very relative to each person

A 22ft sea ray could be compared approx to a 20,5 ft surfboat because the wakeplate is counted on the sea ray and is not on wake boat

Last edited by Mike88; 03-11-2018 at 7:31 PM. Reason: Tapping
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-11-2018, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Thing is, most best «*waksurf*» boats wakeboard great. And on the other side best wakeboard boats aren’t the best surfable ones.
But it’s really a «*pro*» whim lol..
As you said Paul instead is a very good point, 23ft are usually limit capacity for a 1/2 truck.
I wouldn’t take a 23footer for my first towboat either For few other reasons too.

I love the 21ft. It’s not too small, it’s not too big. It makes a BIG difference between a 20 (even if it’s just one feet) and i found it drove more easily than a 23.
When you haven’t owned a surf boat you got to acclimate with driving, docking, towing and things like that. A 23ft boat is kind of a big boy.
But in the other hand some people would prefer that. It’s very relative to each person

A 22ft sea ray could be compared approx to a 20,5 ft surfboat because the wakeplate is counted on the sea ray and is not on wake boat
From what I have read and heard from others is just what you said, that the best wakesurf boats will wakeboard well but not the other way around.
Every boat that I have looked at so far has been in the 20'-21' range pretty much for the reasons you've stated: My truck is a 1/2 ton and I realize its towing restrictions, my typical crowd in the boat will be 3-7 people max, and being my first inboard I want to be comfortable with driving, docking, ect. Since we are new to wakesurfing, In the beginning we will be happy with whatever wave we get but as we progress I want to have a boat that produces a wave that we will be happy with and not be limited and disappointed in after a while.
I appreciate all the responses and general info from everyone. I found a couple Moomba Helix's and Mojo's online over the weekend so I've got a couple of emails out that I am waiting to get replies from.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-13-2018, 8:51 PM Reply   
There’s a really nice and fairly unique A22 2014, vandal edition in premium condition loaded virtually missing no options from Texas on TMC and probably only inboards and Craigslist, loaded, surfs very well as I have an a20 that surfs well and that cabin on a22 is huge compared to mine.

A bit above your price but not much. A lot of value in that boat and it is in immaculate condition, colors are red white and black

This design allows a 950 mushroom sac that fills to 850-875. Still will want some lead but you don’t lose your bow seats to bow bags. Later years changed walkway and reduced greatly the size of that sac. Rear lockers can easily House 1100’s. Though pickle forks have smaller cabins this one is huge in cabin for a 22 footer, really big bimini, and a large pickle fork bow with no sacs to really have a crowd , or space for teenagers to spread out

Last edited by granddaddy53; 03-13-2018 at 9:00 PM.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-14-2018, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
There’s a really nice and fairly unique A22 2014, vandal edition in premium condition loaded virtually missing no options from Texas on TMC and probably only inboards and Craigslist, loaded, surfs very well as I have an a20 that surfs well and that cabin on a22 is huge compared to mine.

A bit above your price but not much. A lot of value in that boat and it is in immaculate condition, colors are red white and black

This design allows a 950 mushroom sac that fills to 850-875. Still will want some lead but you don’t lose your bow seats to bow bags. Later years changed walkway and reduced greatly the size of that sac. Rear lockers can easily House 1100’s. Though pickle forks have smaller cabins this one is huge in cabin for a 22 footer, really big bimini, and a large pickle fork bow with no sacs to really have a crowd , or space for teenagers to spread out
Sorry, but what is TMC?
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       03-14-2018, 1:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswitz View Post
Sorry, but what is TMC?
http://www.themalibucrew.com
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-14-2018, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl019 View Post
Thanks!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-15-2018, 5:09 AM Reply   
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-ax...xas-45938.aspx oops this might not be it, thought it was red and white and black, I’ll keep looking
Here it is, you won’t find a better value and it’s 55000
I exchanged forum posts with a regular rider in this boat and he confirmed it is immaculate
If you want to surf an axis, 20 foot, I would be glad to demo mine, but this boat is bigger and will surf better than mine if properly weighted
Take a drive to Texas snd I would be glad to go with snd I can dissect the axis for you and show you where to look for it’s flaws or problems. I have a stripped one, evaluating a loaded boat would be fun!

Would love to have a new friend with a bigger boat on the coast!!!! Ha ha

Last edited by granddaddy53; 03-15-2018 at 5:18 AM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-15-2018, 5:59 AM Reply   
http://www.axiswakeboardboats.com/vi...hp?f=20&t=4492
Here it is but the 55000 was for a T22 same year, trying to see if the t22 is already sold at 55000

This is a loaded boat
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-15-2018, 6:14 AM Reply   
Here is the T22 though it’s in Michigan
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/b...520126301.html
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-15-2018, 6:25 AM Reply   
The loaded loaded, loaded vandal is 63, but you would be amazed what a $10000 downpayment refundable based on demo will do to get someone to reduce a price
I wouldn’t let this slip away. The 14 Axis is an extremely reliable boat and this version is sick, and you will probably have the most unique boat in your area. The z5 bimini is awesome as it is large and low (actually reduces the late or early sun) and is a natural surfboard storage with or without surf pockets, I use a cargo net on mine . That z5 was an extremely expensive option. This things has 2 410’wetdounds, meaning 4 huge tower cans in two units

Last edited by granddaddy53; 03-15-2018 at 6:29 AM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-15-2018, 6:36 AM Reply   
The only problem with either would be dunking the trailer on the coast(salt or brack over time will eat a non galvanized).
The vandal trailer looks like it might be painted galvanized as I think some of the tricked out trailers are painted galvanized. If it is that Trailer alone is worth north of $5000. I paid $5000 fir mine not tricked. It’s how the dealer got me back on my ordered 14 rock bottom price. I had to have it here as I dunk each weekend 4 or more times in a weekend
Old     (jwl019)      Join Date: Aug 2014 Location: N.E. Louisiana       03-15-2018, 2:52 PM Reply   
My VLX is for sale as well and will fall in your range. I am in NE Louisiana so no brackish or salt water, trailer is not galvanized either though. It does not have surf gate, but with a Nauticurl stuck to the side the wake is really good.

https://monroe.craigslist.org/boa/d/...503007605.html
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-15-2018, 8:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2014-ax...xas-45938.aspx oops this might not be it, thought it was red and white and black, I’ll keep looking
Here it is, you won’t find a better value and it’s 55000
I exchanged forum posts with a regular rider in this boat and he confirmed it is immaculate
If you want to surf an axis, 20 foot, I would be glad to demo mine, but this boat is bigger and will surf better than mine if properly weighted
Take a drive to Texas snd I would be glad to go with snd I can dissect the axis for you and show you where to look for it’s flaws or problems. I have a stripped one, evaluating a loaded boat would be fun!

Would love to have a new friend with a bigger boat on the coast!!!! Ha ha
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the boat listing. I'll take a look at it. Do you like your Axis? I ask because everyone has pretty much recommended I stay away from an Axis. I know everyone has their preference so I want your honest opinion bc I'm still researching brands. I'm leaning pretty heavily toward Moombas right now but still looking. You in Louisiana?
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-15-2018, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwl019 View Post
My VLX is for sale as well and will fall in your range. I am in NE Louisiana so no brackish or salt water, trailer is not galvanized either though. It does not have surf gate, but with a Nauticurl stuck to the side the wake is really good.

https://monroe.craigslist.org/boa/d/...503007605.html
Thanks Jeremy, that's a nice boat you have, but I'm looking for something with a surf system on it without having to go the suckgate route straight out of the gate.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2018, 12:34 PM Reply   
You can find a good boat for that price. I just picked up a mint 2009 Nautique 230 team with every option at the top of that price range and it only has 49 hours. Well below my budget to boot. No fancy electronics, old school gauges, exactly what I wanted....Wahooo. It took over a year to find but I held my existing ride and kept looking for exactly what I wanted.

I think you first need to define what size boat you desire based on crew size, body of water, towing, storage.... Second you need to consider if you must have built in surf gates. With that, I would define my boat(s) and start specifically searching for what you want.

Start with this forum and boat specific forums, only inboards, boat trader, and my favorite for good deals Craigslist. Craigslist can be less picked over and not as widely advertised. With Craigslist put in a automatic search in markets you would considering traveling to get the boat. In my case I ending up finding a boat in Missouri, negotiated a price based on condition, caught a plane to see it in person, and had it shipped to South Florida for $1,200.

It does help if you have the "cash" in place becasue bank financing kills great deals and pushes you toward a dealerships who have the financing mechanism in place.

Good luck.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-16-2018, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
You could probably get into a new or close to it Moomba Mondo or Helix for that price range.
I appreciate that info. After you posted this, I started researching Moomba's and because of your recommendation I'm currently in negotiations on a 2017 loaded Helix.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-16-2018, 3:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dswitz View Post
I appreciate that info. After you posted this, I started researching Moomba's and because of your recommendation I'm currently in negotiations on a 2017 loaded Helix.

Glad to be of help. They are great boats for the money. I have a 2017 Craz, myself.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-16-2018, 8:24 PM Reply   
Nice. Keep us posted.
Old     (Dswitz)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-17-2018, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Nice. Keep us posted.
Will do. I've got a few I'm looking at but one is particular is shaping up to be a good deal if I can make it happen. I should know something Tuesday.
Old     (Kwclark)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-18-2018, 7:42 PM Reply   
50k buys you a nice mastercraft. Go surf assist can be added to anyboat then you have the best surf system on the planet. I would stick with 2010 and under though. That was the last year mastercraft used indmar. The red mcx engine is one the best engines ever built and you can buy just about any part you need for it at any auto parts store. If you look hard enough you can even find a 2010 with no vdig screen. I’m not a fan of electronics on boats at all especially out of warranty boats because the manufactures give us the middle finger after about 6-7 years and quit selling parts. I would try to score an x15. 2006 year is my favorite because of the tower and no cat exhausts either with sensors. Great surf and wakeboat. Goodluck.
Old     (White94RX)      Join Date: Mar 2018       03-28-2018, 11:30 AM Reply   
I may be late to the party here, but I wanted to say a few years ago, I paid $55k for our brand new Moomba. Point being that if you could pay a little more, and have a new boat, the piece of mind that warranty brings is a good feeling.

Though I do realize that new Moombas are probably $60k or more.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-28-2018, 3:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwclark View Post
50k buys you a nice mastercraft. Go surf assist can be added to anyboat then you have the best surf system on the planet. I would stick with 2010 and under though. That was the last year mastercraft used indmar. The red mcx engine is one the best engines ever built and you can buy just about any part you need for it at any auto parts store. If you look hard enough you can even find a 2010 with no vdig screen. I’m not a fan of electronics on boats at all especially out of warranty boats because the manufactures give us the middle finger after about 6-7 years and quit selling parts. I would try to score an x15. 2006 year is my favorite because of the tower and no cat exhausts either with sensors. Great surf and wakeboat. Goodluck.
I can't say GSA is "the best" but it's damn good. The nice thing with GSA is you get the killer GSA wave, you can turn it off throw a suck gate on the side of the boat & viola you have the Surf Gate wave. So it's the best of both worlds. Can't get the GSA wave with a Surf Gate boat unless you actually install GSA, so my opinion is it's the better of the two systems.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-29-2018, 4:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I can't say GSA is "the best" but it's damn good. The nice thing with GSA is you get the killer GSA wave, you can turn it off throw a suck gate on the side of the boat & viola you have the Surf Gate wave. So it's the best of both worlds. Can't get the GSA wave with a Surf Gate boat unless you actually install GSA, so my opinion is it's the better of the two systems.

The GSA is simply not worth the money over a suck gate. My buddy has both on his Moomba XLV, and the suck gate I made for him creates a far bigger and more consistent wave. It’s is unfortunate, because he spent close to $4000 for the GSA and it just doesn’t come close to the suck gate in terms of wave shape, curl and push. Not to mention that we consistently had to fart around with the adjustment on the controller to get the same wave as the previous session as it would not replicate it, even if we didn’t touch the dial or change the speed or ballast levels from one session to the next.
I think two main issues with it are the adjustability/sensitivity/consistency of the controller and the deployment angle of the plates, combined with their (massive) size is far to much at even the lowest settings, causing to much stern lift, consequently counteracting the effect of the rear ballast.

Trust me, we have spent an entire season effing around with it to find the best combination of speed, ballast, trim pot settings, speeds, you name it, and just gave up frustrated because the $100 stuck on gate just worked better and was consistent every time. We WANTED to make it work to justify the money he spent on it.

I know some people say it works awesome on their boat, and maybe it does. I’d like to see an unbiased comparison of their boats with a suck gate and the GSA.

Regardless, to me it’s not worth $4000. Surely not in the components, and definitely not in the results.

Last edited by Stazi; 03-29-2018 at 4:30 AM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-29-2018, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
The GSA is simply not worth the money over a suck gate. My buddy has both on his Moomba XLV, and the suck gate I made for him creates a far bigger and more consistent wave. It’s is unfortunate, because he spent close to $4000 for the GSA and it just doesn’t come close to the suck gate in terms of wave shape, curl and push. Not to mention that we consistently had to fart around with the adjustment on the controller to get the same wave as the previous session as it would not replicate it, even if we didn’t touch the dial or change the speed or ballast levels from one session to the next.
I think two main issues with it are the adjustability/sensitivity/consistency of the controller and the deployment angle of the plates, combined with their (massive) size is far to much at even the lowest settings, causing to much stern lift, consequently counteracting the effect of the rear ballast.

Trust me, we have spent an entire season effing around with it to find the best combination of speed, ballast, trim pot settings, speeds, you name it, and just gave up frustrated because the $100 stuck on gate just worked better and was consistent every time. We WANTED to make it work to justify the money he spent on it.

I know some people say it works awesome on their boat, and maybe it does. I’d like to see an unbiased comparison of their boats with a suck gate and the GSA.

Regardless, to me it’s not worth $4000. Surely not in the components, and definitely not in the results.

If you don’t have enough ballast, or enough displacement for whatever reason—what you say is exactly true.

I did an unbiased comparison of these on my MB F24, written up in MB forum, and in that scenario and on that boat the GSA wave was clearly more powerful. The suck gate did GREAT, don’t get me wrong, but the ultimately better wave came from GSA.

Enough to justify cost difference? Hard to say. Everyone’s value scale is different of course.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-29-2018, 7:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
If you don’t have enough ballast, or enough displacement for whatever reason—what you say is exactly true.

I did an unbiased comparison of these on my MB F24, written up in MB forum, and in that scenario and on that boat the GSA wave was clearly more powerful. The suck gate did GREAT, don’t get me wrong, but the ultimately better wave came from GSA.

Enough to justify cost difference? Hard to say. Everyone’s value scale is different of course.

We have a huge amount of ballast in his boat. 1100’s in each rear locker, then an 1180in the center locker for built in ballast. We even bought an extra triangle bow sack that was another 1000lb, but it didn’t help. To get the best wave we fill all the permananet sacks and we add another 750 on the rear seat and a 400 on which ever surf surf side we are running, and the suck gate and it makes an excellent wave.

Again with the GSA we tried everything. Even ballast, listed ballast, less ballast, more ballast, but even with over 5000lb of ballast the GSA wave was worse than the suck gate.

To be honest I’m a Moomba guy and I will say that the Malibu surf gate system is far superior to any other surf system on the market. It creates wake convergence delay without creating stern lift like all the other systems that use trim tab style surf systems. I think this is why the suck gates work much better than the trimmtab systems, as they work on the same principle of wake convergence delay without lifting the back of the boat out of the water.

Last edited by Stazi; 03-29-2018 at 7:07 AM.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       03-29-2018, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
We have a huge amount of ballast in his boat. 1100’s in each rear locker, then an 1180in the center locker for built in ballast. We even bought an extra triangle bow sack that was another 1000lb, but it didn’t help. To get the best wave we fill all the permananet sacks and we add another 750 on the rear seat and a 400 on which ever surf surf side we are running, and the suck gate and it makes an excellent wave.

Again with the GSA we tried everything. Even ballast, listed ballast, less ballast, more ballast, but even with over 5000lb of ballast the GSA wave was worse than the suck gate.

To be honest I’m a Moomba guy and I will say that the Malibu surf gate system is far superior to any other surf system on the market. It creates wake convergence delay without creating stern lift like all the other systems that use trim tab style surf systems. I think this is why the suck gates work much better than the trimmtab systems, as they work on the same principle of wake convergence delay without lifting the back of the boat out of the water.

Oh wow. Maybe it’s that hull specifically? My MB testing was clear to all of us who helped. We did find that plate deployment of 8-9 degrees was optimal, not the 12 that is recommended. And bow high was preferred—so your bow bag would not have helped.

Regarding your Malibu claim (which borders on blasphemy)—you need to come surf with us. And yes, one of our crew has the vaunted Malibu Surf Gate on his 2017 23LSV. It is a very very distant third in our pool: 2016 Supra SE 450, 2016 Tige RZX (2018 on the way).

It’s not even close. The Bu has a nice wave, but nowhere near the others.

Furthermore if you are getting a lot of stern lift with plate deployment things are not quite right. Never try to muscle the stern out of the water with a surf tab.

I’m sorry your experience was poor, it certainly doesn’t match other folks.

Last edited by dakota4ce; 03-29-2018 at 8:02 AM.
Old     (TimbrSS)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-19-2018, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
...To get the best wave we fill all the permananet sacks and we add another ... and a 400 on which ever surf surf side we are running, and the suck gate and it makes an excellent wave.

I think this is why the suck gates work much better than the trim tab systems, as they work on the same principle of wake convergence delay without lifting the back of the boat out of the water.
I think of the tab system more of slightly lifting one side of the boat (or rolling it over), vs lifting the whole rear. Has to be a similar effect as running a bit of extra weight on the surf side that you run with suck gate.

I'll admit the GSA controller isn't the greatest execution, but once you figure it out, it works OK. (I just showed someone who had it for a year how it really worked.) For everyone's info: No matter where the dial is positioned, when you turn on the system, it will put the tab out 100%. You should always start with dial full clockwise, then figure out how many clicks back CCW you need from there. I am usually about 3-4 clicks back from full. If you start with the dial all the way CCW, CW adjustments don't do anything... adding to the confusion.

GSA throws an awesome wave on my Malibu 247.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-21-2018, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
That tige wave is mine! Best wave out
Old     (tkvaale)      Join Date: Sep 2017       06-19-2018, 7:43 AM Reply   
What dakota4ce said is 100% accurate. We loved our wave until we rode his Supra SE. However with some more ballast that is going to be here by this weekend, we are getting closer to replicating it. Maybe you have found a boat by now, but for my 2 cents. We have a 2008 MasterCraft X45 that we paid roughly $50K for back in the spring of 2015 (I've seen some on the marketplace in the 40k range now). It's a 24' boat which is almost necessary for our very busy, choppy lake. We couldn't surf it right away, but once we added more ballast, particularly in the bow, it threw a pretty nice wave. Then we were part of the first set of preorders of the Mission Delta and that was a game changer. Literally doubled our wave overnight. Now we continue to tweak it, and gonna try some more ballast this weekend trying to get closer to the dakota4ce's Supra. Hope you find something you like, but we love our boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2018, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
That tige wave is mine! Best wave out
it looks legit!