Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-30-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Whats the word on Byerly's "glass" tech in his boards? Can't seem to find much info on it, anyone know the details? the website makes a big deal about it, so It cant just be simple fiber glass haha.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-30-2010, 10:54 PM Reply   
They run a fiberglass rope along the edge of a few of the boards so they arent as fragile. It's not too ground breaking. Company wake's urethane rails on the vandall boards are the real deal.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-01-2010, 5:42 AM Reply   
As Mitch mentioned, the urethane sidewalls are the ticket. It's the only thing that will really hold up to abuse over time. If you think about fiberglass, it doesn't do well with impact and more riders are putting their boards to the test than every before. I think more and more boards will offer the urethane set up in time. They have had it on snowboards for years. Remember, wakeboarding is no longer just riding behind the boat.
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-01-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Joey,

I wanted to shed some light on Byerly Boards glass technology. At Byerly we really pride ourselves on pressing the limits of fiberglass technology and board construction. Our “Evolution of Glass Technology” refers to the different internal construction methods we use throughout the line. Beginning with the Monarch Series, we employee a “Double Lap” construction which means both the top and bottom sheets of fiberglass overlap creating an additional wrap of glass around the perimeter that adds durability and strength to the lay-up. From here we move to the Assault and Conspiracy Series that feature the industry’s first woven fiberglass sidewall. The advantage to the .25” fiberglass sidewall material is that it is comprised of the same glass material that is used throughout the board. When the boards is produced and our resin system penetrates and infuses with this glass it becomes one and creates a very strong construction. Unlike ABS or Urethane sidewalls that do not allow for resin penetration and are ultimately a separate part of the board, the fiberglass sidewall fuses with the rest of the board and will not create a weak point where delamination can begin. The all new Blunt series takes this construction method one step further and adds Carbon and Kevlar strands into that fiberglass rope perimeter. These two elements add both strength and an explosive pop and responsiveness. We call this new side wall our “Flak Jacket Sidewall”. This new material runs the full perimeter of the Blunt creating an uninterrupted ring of strength, durability, and lively pop! All of these construction methods focus on material that are designed to be truly compatible with the overall construction of the board.

We hope this helps and thanks to everyone that has continued to support the Byerly Brand!

Corey M
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-01-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreym View Post
Joey,

I wanted to shed some light on Byerly Boards glass technology. At Byerly we really pride ourselves on pressing the limits of fiberglass technology and board construction. Our “Evolution of Glass Technology” refers to the different internal construction methods we use throughout the line. Beginning with the Monarch Series, we employee a “Double Lap” construction which means both the top and bottom sheets of fiberglass overlap creating an additional wrap of glass around the perimeter that adds durability and strength to the lay-up. From here we move to the Assault and Conspiracy Series that feature the industry’s first woven fiberglass sidewall. The advantage to the .25” fiberglass sidewall material is that it is comprised of the same glass material that is used throughout the board. When the boards is produced and our resin system penetrates and infuses with this glass it becomes one and creates a very strong construction. Unlike ABS or Urethane sidewalls that do not allow for resin penetration and are ultimately a separate part of the board, the fiberglass sidewall fuses with the rest of the board and will not create a weak point where delamination can begin. The all new Blunt series takes this construction method one step further and adds Carbon and Kevlar strands into that fiberglass rope perimeter. These two elements add both strength and an explosive pop and responsiveness. We call this new side wall our “Flak Jacket Sidewall”. This new material runs the full perimeter of the Blunt creating an uninterrupted ring of strength, durability, and lively pop! All of these construction methods focus on material that are designed to be truly compatible with the overall construction of the board.

We hope this helps and thanks to everyone that has continued to support the Byerly Brand!

Corey M
Sweet! thats pretty cool actually, I really like reading up on the tech that goes into board construction. I am a big snowboard fan, and really like how most snowboard companies will give a large amount of insight as to what tech,materials, and processes they employ to make there products, i wish more wakeboard companies were like that!
Keep it up!!
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-01-2010, 7:30 PM Reply   
dang, looks like corey beat me to it. one thing that he forgot to mention, another cool side effect of this Glass Rope Edge is that it is so strong and impact resistant, you can actually smash it with a hammer and it will not split open. Butch demo'ed this in wakeboard mag or something, if im not mistaken. Like he said its now the strongest part of the board instead of the weakest. probably the reason behind why my conspiracy has survived countless laps around the cable without even hinting at a split edge or shaved-down fin. my friends cant believe i slide my boat board, but its handled the abuse so well nobody can hardly tell. and the pop off the wake is super stiff and explosive. i would say that its a pretty legit innovation. hope this helps.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-02-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Bru... Conspiracy is to sick i ride it for Boat and Cable... It was the first byerly board i have owned. and i was super sketched on getting it i was headed down to orlando march of last year and i called HO Sports in canada and got me hooked up. anyways super Fast compared to what i was use to (i came of the watson 06) i didnt get to ride at all behind boat while in orlando but i was an addict at the cable and it held up amazing the first week i brought it home and yeah it looked like it has minor cable use if it was any other deck probably would have needed a quiver of them... I stand behind it it on the boat to super lose but on edge its gripping, OH tons of POP...
Old     (coreym)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-03-2010, 12:21 PM Reply   
Like always, Tom P always has some good info to contribute. Thanks Tom. And Dave, thanks for the testimonial. Its always great to find out the riders who are on our product feel the same way we do!

Corey M
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-04-2010, 5:05 AM Reply   
Not to mention that Byerly boards are made in the USA!
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-05-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
2011 conspiracy's have a big fat U.A.E. sticker on them
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-05-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Interesting....I guess that would be a rather quiet change, but still find this on web search for where they are made:

http://www.byerlywakeboards.com/company.php
Old    mojo            12-05-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
FYI, the guys at integrity wakeskates are the first in our industry that i know of to use urethane side walls. they also press a few company boards. i like it on their skates. haven't tried it on company stuff.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-05-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
mojo, i know. schmaltz builds the company boards that have urethane rails. I mentioned company instead of integrity because this was about wakeboards. Schmaltz is a genius