Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (DKidneyBean)      Join Date: May 2010       08-18-2017, 10:34 AM Reply   
So I've seen some boats going with the Soundbars with the built-in amp in the them.

Are there any Tower Speakers or Tower Speaker Systems (not soundbars) with built-in amps?

(re: I don't want an amp/wires in my storage area)
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2017, 11:04 AM Reply   
Just don't LOL
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2017, 11:18 AM Reply   
OMG This is brilliant. Just like motors used to have one coil, with a rotor and distributor cap, and then they moved to each spark plug having it's own coil.

Each speaker should have it's own amp. Awesome idea.

In the engine example above this eliminated the need for messing with turning the distributor to adjust timing as the engine computer manages timing instead.

So then in an audio system there could be a controller unit that would allow adjustment of power output and sound to each and every speaker. You could tune every speaker independently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could does this wirelessly from an app on your Blueberry phone. They you don't have to crawl under there and tinker with those tiny little knobs and switches on the amps.

Someone should patent this NOW!!!

P.S. There should at least be wireless amp tuning...urgg.. It is kind of dumb that you gotta crawl down by an amp.

Last edited by scottb7; 08-18-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2017, 11:55 AM Reply   
this thread
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-18-2017, 12:13 PM Reply   
So you think is it's going to be easier to run at least 5 wires through the tower for each speaker (Power, ground, remote, RCA's . Two of those wires are going to be big wires power and ground so thick wires.

yea 20 wires for 4 speakers does sound bad!!!!!!!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2017, 12:34 PM Reply   
Hater...What you never heard of nano-technology? It can be done. I looked it up on my Blueberry phone.

You combine the 5 wires into one very thin wire. And then you turn that one wire into wireless, and you have...wait for it...no wires!!!!!!!!!!

nan·o·tech·nol·o·gy
ˌnanōˌtekˈnäləjē/Submit
noun
the branch of technology that deals with dimensions and tolerances of less than 100 nanometers, especially the manipulation of individual atoms and molecules.

wire·less
ˈwī(ə)rləs/Submit
adjective
using radio, microwaves, etc. (as opposed to wires or cables) to transmit signals.
"wireless broadband"
noun
broadcasting, computer networking, or other communication using radio signals, microwaves, etc.
BRITISHdated
a radio receiving set.

Last edited by scottb7; 08-18-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-18-2017, 12:37 PM Reply   
Create a Amp Board that you mount the Amps vertically too and then glue the board to the side hull. You won't take up much room:

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2017, 12:38 PM Reply   
It is like science fiction. Only better. It is real!!!!!!!!!!

The amps will take up no space at all. Because....

wait for it....

they will be in the cloud.

P.S. With everything else!!!!!!!
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-18-2017, 12:43 PM Reply   
Dang you guys are on good one today hahahaha

To the OP I dont want that crap in my storage area either but until someone comes up with something better thats what we got
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2017, 1:13 PM Reply   
Mr Bean,

If there was a more efficient method that was cost effective and delivered acceptable results, we'd be using it. Even so-called "wireless" speakers, still require wires unless you bungee your 80's boom box to the tower and keep a case of D cell batteries on hand.

Could a speaker pod with an integrated amp be done? Sure. Beats and a couple others have portable speakers that are wireless and can be pared to run stereo. Issue is, they run on a rechargeable battery. So not feasible for a wake tower application. IMO< if you are going to run wires up a tower, ID rather have speaker leads over 12DC cabling.

Amp size an issue? Wet Sounds and Kicker both offer marine amp that are smaller then a cigar box. With a planned out clean install, an amp in your storage locker is nothing.
Old     (DCross)      Join Date: Jul 2016       08-18-2017, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
OMG This is brilliant. Just like motors used to have one coil, with a rotor and distributor cap, and then they moved to each spark plug having it's own coil.

Each speaker should have it's own amp. Awesome idea.

In the engine example above this eliminated the need for messing with turning the distributor to adjust timing as the engine computer manages timing instead.

So then in an audio system there could be a controller unit that would allow adjustment of power output and sound to each and every speaker. You could tune every speaker independently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You could does this wirelessly from an app on your Blueberry phone. They you don't have to crawl under there and tinker with those tiny little knobs and switches on the amps.

Someone should patent this NOW!!!

P.S. There should at least be wireless amp tuning...urgg.. It is kind of dumb that you gotta crawl down by an amp.
I'm pretty sure Bose already has a patent on amps in speakers... my old 1985 Corvette came factory with amps incorporated into the speakers.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2017, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCross View Post
I'm pretty sure Bose already has a patent on amps in speakers... my old 1985 Corvette came factory with amps incorporated into the speakers.
Hater. This is different.

Why are you on the left trying to incite violence?

Last edited by scottb7; 08-18-2017 at 2:02 PM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-18-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
I've always wanted to control my speakers on a molecular level
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-18-2017, 2:38 PM Reply   
Another great idea. Imagine if you could wirelessly change the tweeter and cone materials to suit your song choice, mood, or the phase of the moon? It will be awesome.

I think I will do so tomorrow.

"Tweeters have to vibrate at very high speeds (20kHz range) and are often made from metals such as aluminum, titanium or silk. They must be very stiff while remaining light weight. Mids and woofers are often made with paper (with additives), Kevlar, ceramics or exotic items such as wood."
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-19-2017, 7:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKidneyBean View Post
So I've seen some boats going with the Soundbars with the built-in amp in the them.

Are there any Tower Speakers or Tower Speaker Systems (not soundbars) with built-in amps?

(re: I don't want an amp/wires in my storage area)
You should get over this idea real quick. A tower speaker with a built-in amplifier would be limited to small power and moderate output applications.
Does a soundbar work well? Sure, in the boat, or in the UTV, but not for long projection while on the move. You can change the shape from a single bar to two pods, but the same restrictions will apply.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-19-2017, 9:25 AM Reply   
David, be reminded. This thread is about creativity and problem solving...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-19-2017, 12:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
David, be reminded. This thread is about creativity and problem solving...
Oh, I see what you mean. Like when one creative solution creates two more problems in its wake.
Old     (Reddog78)      Join Date: Mar 2017       08-21-2017, 7:33 AM Reply   
Why doesn't everyone just wear waterproof bluetoof headphones? Then each person can control their own volume.
Old     (DKidneyBean)      Join Date: May 2010       08-25-2017, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thank you for all the helpful responses.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-26-2017, 5:03 AM Reply   
Speaker mounted amps have been around for a while. Back in the '70s (high School days), I bought a set of 6x9s that had amps attached to the back of them.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-28-2017, 9:41 PM Reply   
Active loudspeakers have taken over the pro audio industry. They have internal amplifiers. Wouldn't be that hard to port it to a tower speaker.
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-31-2017, 7:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog78 View Post
Why doesn't everyone just wear waterproof bluetoof headphones? Then each person can control their own volume.

I could just imagine taking a slam and having to dig a earbud out. Ouch!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2017, 7:34 AM Reply   
used one many years ago. Was actually cool to fall and keep hearing music. Belonged to a riding buddy, I think it eventually got water inside the "ipod" and stopped working. wasn't terribly expensive, but definitely doesn't replace a good set of tower speakers
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-31-2017, 10:36 AM Reply   
http://www.underwateraudio.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle/

I would think the earbuds would protect the eardrum...
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2017, 11:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
http://www.underwateraudio.com/waterproof-ipod-shuffle/

I would think the earbuds would protect the eardrum...
but bro, you can't tune each speaker independently!!!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-31-2017, 12:04 PM Reply   
You can't, and DavidAnalog can't. But I can.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-31-2017, 12:13 PM Reply   
still never figured out what you're talking about or why. are you deaf in one ear or something???