Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-30-2017, 8:04 AM Reply   
I have seen so many people mentioning dealer importance and so fourth so my question is regarding warranty service. I know typically a it's nice to buy from a dealer, have service and warranty work etc done at the same place and build a relationship. But am I correct that a new boat is like a new car, it has a factory warranty that must be upheld by any dealer nationally? For instance if you buy a new Boat out of state because it is $10k less than your local dealer then your local dealer could and would do warranty work if needed etc? I do typically prefer to buy local but at the same time not if it is at a higher expense for the same product.

Thanks for any input.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-30-2017, 8:07 AM Reply   
I mean yeah any dealer on the boat can do the warranty work.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-30-2017, 9:33 AM Reply   
True they should and will.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2017, 9:58 AM Reply   
If you're buying a brand that has a local dealer, that could be an issue. First off, the other dealer isn't allowed to sell the boat to you if you have a local dealer. Out of territory. When you go in for the service or warranty and the local dealer realizes what you did, you could be treated differently. You shouldn't be, but you could be. It would be best to try and work the deal with your local dealer. They want to build a life time customer relationship, and they're more likely to get you back on the water faster if you are buying boats from them.

Nothing worse then going in for a minor issue in July and spending a month without your boat.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       03-30-2017, 10:19 AM Reply   
Your right they will do the work. I have however run into situations in which i am not a priority when they get busy with clients that bought from them. They will always or usually serve the customers that bought from them first.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-30-2017, 10:38 AM Reply   
Having first hand experience in working with a dealer, yes they would service your boat if any warranty issues came up. However, when you chose not to purchase from the servicing dealer, they will put their customers before you in the service line and it ultimately becomes a question of when. In this hypothetical situation, they wouldn't know you from any other Joe off the street and are more obligated to make sure their customers are happy first, especially if yours is a brand new boat that was bought in another territory. The customer-dealer relationship is vital to a positive boat ownership experience. Technically, most manufacturers penalize dealers for selling out of their respective territory, but some dealers choose to do so anyway. I don't know of any off hand in the southeast, but I know it's a practice that some choose to employ. Bottom line is, when something breaks down (it will eventually, and always at the most inopportune time) it's best not to put yourself in a bad situation from the start.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-30-2017, 11:37 AM Reply   
I appreciate the advise and input guys. In my particular situation I have found a demo boat with very low hours in the exact color combo I want so it is much less than a 0 hour boat from the local dealer. I would much rather purchase local if he opportunity was there but I can't spend more on a boat I like less just because it is closer. We shall see what the next couple weeks hold.
Old     (NoCO570)      Join Date: Mar 2016       03-30-2017, 1:25 PM Reply   
Any chance they could work out some kind of dealer trade or transfer so you could buy that non-local boat from your local dealer?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-30-2017, 1:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadssv View Post
I appreciate the advise and input guys. In my particular situation I have found a demo boat with very low hours in the exact color combo I want so it is much less than a 0 hour boat from the local dealer. I would much rather purchase local if he opportunity was there but I can't spend more on a boat I like less just because it is closer. We shall see what the next couple weeks hold.
Have you tried talking to the local dealer about working out an inventory trade of some sort with the other dealer for your boat?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-30-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
I know with the brand I worked for they do not have to and usually don't. The responsibility for the warranty has to be transferred to the new dealer by the factory. Its their way to answer the question "how exactly did you buy a boat out of territory". The selling dealer gets reprimanded and the receiving dealer gets paid from the offending dealer.

Its not like a car at all where any chevy dealer will honor your chevy warranty. The boat world is much smaller and they want to know why you bought a boat in Texas last week and are now looking for warranty in Minnesota this week. Many a dealer has been caught poaching just like that.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       03-31-2017, 8:15 PM Reply   
Exactly like almost everybody said. If you have warranty issues any brand dealer of your boat will do it.. but thats not all. I'm pretty sure you would'nt just make warranty issues on the dealer haha.. all services, check up, oil change, winterizing if needed. You can almost do everything by yourself but most people gonna go at their dealership so the relation you establish when buying your boat is pretty important because you gonna return there at least once a year. If you go at another dealership to buy and do all the things at the other they gonna be mad so they will surely charge you more and pass all their real customer before you. Personal opinion when I was shopping for my new boat the dealer proximity and how they treat their client was one of my first thing on the list.
If like you said the boat is really 10k less in the other state maybe something wrong lol. I can't believe the really same boat with same options could be that big difference couple hours away. I would try to deal in my local dealer before thinking of buying somewhere else. Buy the boat is a thing but taking care of it 10years long is another! I would like the local dealer by my side working with me instead of working against just to save few bucks.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-03-2017, 5:24 AM Reply   
With some dealers trying to sell for MSRP and others willing to go 20% off prices can EASILY vary $10,000 or more!!! That is why many people have B%^&*ed about the whole territory thing. Means there is no competition and a dealer can sell for whatever they want and technically you can't shop them to the next dealer.
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-03-2017, 5:59 AM Reply   
Yeah even territory dealership map is weird. I checked on Nautique web site to know where is the official dealership based on a lake zip code in NC. Guess what, the official dealership is 2 hours drive away on another lake. So according to Nautique instead of buying my boat on a local lake without the need for a trailer, I should drive 2 hours away, go figure
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-03-2017, 8:18 AM Reply   
If you buy of out territory you can still get your boat repaired or serviced unfortunately without a doubt you will be the last in line every time behind the customers that purchased from that dealer. It is completely different then buying a vehicle, the marine industry is a small world and dealers talk to each other as well. I would use caution buying out of territory, it has come back to bite quite a few people or just be prepared to tow your boat hours to wherever you purchase from.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-03-2017, 11:15 AM Reply   
He's talking about buying a demo boat. Doesn't that fall under 'used' so territory doesn't apply? Still he won't necessarily be high on the list for service...but if the financials make sense....
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-03-2017, 4:01 PM Reply   
It does not matter either way, demo or brand new. He just needs to be prepared for what he is in for if he needs service or something repaired. Saving money is great until something goes wrong and your boat is down for half the summer.
Old     (Onebadssv)      Join Date: Feb 2016       04-03-2017, 6:26 PM Reply   
Guys, thank you for all the advise and input. I get where everyone is coming from and did consider that when making my choice. Had it been a $3-4K difference that would be one thing but at the money I'm saving I could do a lot with the additional funds. Luckily the lead mechanic at another local marina is a good friend of mine and has always done all my work so absolute worst case scenario I need something fixed quickly and don't have time to wait on axis dealer for warranty coverage he always knocks stuff out quickly for me at a great rate