Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
I just completed this last Saturday. What an amazing event! Everyone should do this sometime!

www.toughmudder.com
www.facebook.com/toughmudder
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-19-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
My friend wanted to go do this but I wasnt sold on it. How much did it cost to enter?
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
If you get the tickets early it can be as low at $80. I paid $150 about 2 months out. Was worth every penny!
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-19-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Looks like a good time. Anyone know of anything similar in the Seattle area?
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
They look to be bringing it to Vancouver BC next year. There was talk of it being in the Seattle area, but that event was removed for some reason.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-19-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
Good to hear, I am preregistered for next year.

can you give us the highlights?
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-19-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
Oh man, I can't even begin to put it into words. I hope to do a better job of writing it down later. The elevation killed me. I live at 500 feet. We started at 6200 feet. A guy wearing a gps says it was 13.3 miles long and 4700 feet up and 4700 feet down!

The Chernobyl Jacuzzi and Walk the Plank were the two that were just brutal. So freakin' cold! Doing the Mt. Everest took teamwork. No way you were doing it without help.

The help people received and gave was just amazing. Most people couldn't give a care less about how long it took ( I was one of those ) it was about the challenge.

I'm already looking at doing SoCal in February. Kinda freakin' stupid I know.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
My neighbor did it as well on Saturday. He said just as you did that the elevation straight killed him as well as The Chernobyl Jacuzzi. Cold as hell he said.

I definitely want to sign up next year.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2012, 9:30 AM Reply   
A friend and I just signed up for the May 13th one in Pennsylvania. Anyone else from the forums gunna be there?
Old     (joecs)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-11-2012, 11:26 AM Reply   
Doing the SoCal event Feb. 25th. Any training tips?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-11-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Signed up for Norcal September 2012!

Moved to Patterson, CA so very close to me actually (and the Delta for that matter). Would have liked to try it at Squaw Valley simply for the setting etc. but I guess now we won't have the elevation to fight. I am sure it will be tough indeed. Only 9 months to train.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-11-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
I guess i missed the Tampa event. Didn't even know it going on. There is a Miami venue listed but no scheduled dates. I have been looking for something like this since I quit smoking. Is there anything else like this going on I should look into in S Florida?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Try the GoRuck. A bunch of athletes from my office did it. A lot of people fail before it's over.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-11-2012, 12:25 PM Reply   
http://goruckchallenge.com/
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-11-2012, 1:53 PM Reply   
I'm definitely gunna look into the GoRuck after this thing is done. I'm pretty stoked for the TM though.

Our training plan is to follow the P90X workouts for the next month, month and a half, and run on the lifting days. I'm probably gunna swap out the kenpo days with Sprint training. When Blacksburg warms up a little, we're going to start trail running on the weekends and doing the Tough Mudder circuit workouts. I'll probably throw in random days of some of the P90X stuff as well.

Our goal is to be able to run 8 miles without stopping by the time we get to the contest. We think we can do it, but it's going to be hard as hell. My friend is a runner, whereas I'm usually a lifter/sprinter, so she's gunna force me to distance run while I push her on the resistance training stuff.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-11-2012, 9:10 PM Reply   
I've done three tough mudders. They're a blast especially with a good team. My recommendation is to go hike up and down the steepest hills you can find. I was used to hiking, but with boots on, not running shoes, so the lack of heel lift was causing my back to lock up on some of the steeper sections. All three were at ski resorts and we pretty much went up and down the black diamond runs.

Going into the first one I did, I thought that it would be running between all the obstacles and fast paced. It's not. There's usually so many people backed up at the obstacles that you are often waiting for a while to get through.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-13-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
It's definitely a blast. I was bummed to hear the nor cal one won't be at Squaw this year. It was such a challenge I was looking forward to it again. Not sure I'll make the trip down for this one.

I'll at least do the Vancouver, BC one in June. Need to sign up here soon before the price goes up.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-27-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
Northstar has been added in place of squaw. We were bummed to not be in the trees again but now we can again. They moved patterson back a week, so northstar is sept. 22 23 Great time and challenge for the active person to test their gusto.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-29-2012, 5:03 PM Reply   
Yeah, kinda bummed they aren't doing Squaw again. I was soooo doing it again if they did. I'm signed up for Vancouver and Seattle. Vancouver should be awesome at Whistler ski resort.

I can't wait! Got my bro in law to come with me as well. He's in for a whole lotta pain!
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-01-2012, 6:35 PM Reply   
I'm definately signing up for Dallas next year. Looks like an awesome time.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-18-2012, 4:51 AM Reply   
Reviving a very old thread...

I'm doing the Tampa Bay/Sarasota Tough Mudder on December 1st, anyone else here doing it? I figure there are probably a fair number of Florida people on here and at least one person is doing it, hah. My sister is talking like she has decided not to sign up for it, so I might be alone and wanted to see if I might be able to link up with some wakeworld people for a little bit.