Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2014, 1:20 PM Reply   
In my 2014 Enzo I have a factory installed heater. The fan works at all three speeds but only blows cold air. One of the things the dealer has asked me to do is hook up a garden hose to one heater hose and flow the water out the other heater hose (into the bilge) to check for kinks or blockage.

With the garden hose on full pressure there is only a 1/4 flow coming out the other end. Should the flow be greater than this?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2014, 2:31 PM Reply   
The flow will be less than the open hose would be as the passages in the heater restrict the rate of flow some. It should be more than 1/4.
The heater will not get hot water to it unless the engine is running at 1600 RPM or higher. That's about the speed where the internal flow in the engine creates pressure enough to get good flow to the heater. If you are running the heater at low engine speeds or idle it will not blow warm air.
Is the engine warm and how fast are you running it when you are testing for warm air from the heater?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2014, 2:53 PM Reply   
Running it on the lake at all rpm's for 15 hours and still no heat. Now in driveway with garden hose plugged in trying to determine if flow is restricted.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2014, 4:11 PM Reply   
You should have had lots of heat then so something is not getting the hot water through the heater. Look at where the exit line is from the block. It's normally before the thermostat as that has the best flow and highest positive pressure. The return side from the heater going into the block should be on the water circulation pump on the suction side. That is normally where your raw water pump would feed into and return lines from thermostat or a transmission heat exchanger.

Following the lines and checking the core are things the dealer should do on a new boat. Also fixing where the lines are connected if they are installed wrong. From the factory I would not expect that. I expect there is a restriction in that you are only getting a small part of the flow of the hose through. It's at 40-60 psi which is a lot more pressure than your water system could come close to.
You'll love the heater when it works. I've got two on mine hooked up in series.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2014, 5:52 PM Reply   
Got it figured out. One of the hoses is pinched under or in front of the gas tank. It is a non accessible area. We can pull/push the hose into a position with full flow. Should we leave it there now that the flow is good? The other option would be to clamp on new hose and pull it through. My only concern would be the clamps catching on something.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-13-2014, 6:10 PM Reply   
If its working I'd leave it. Or take it in and let the dealer do their job…this is a 2014 with warranty I assume.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2014, 6:26 PM Reply   
Warranty, yes. But a $225 ferry ride each way and a full day or two of my time.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-13-2014, 10:36 PM Reply   
I'd leave it but write a note to the dealer to inform them, in case of a future problem.
Good job finding the problem.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-14-2014, 12:12 AM Reply   
I would pull it into a position where it has full flow and then see if you can secuire it in that position with zip ties or something.