Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 8:18 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I have a 2002 hydrodyne v drive ski boat with a mercruiser tow sports engine with only 140 hours. thinking about putting it for sale, and wanted to get opinions of how much yall think it is worth. I was thinking maybe in the 28k range?? here are some pics! Thanks for any opinions good and bad!

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/Co...6f81d.jpg.html
Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 8:20 PM Reply   
http://i1347.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4d7c84d0.jpg
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-19-2014, 8:55 PM Reply   
There are none of those for sale anywhere I can find. Tough to find something to compare it to. I did a quick search of other discontinued brands that were similar. Looking at that and a few existing brands in those years I'd say closer to the 22K range. I think your 28K is way high. You can get better known boats with current company support(brands still in business) easily for that kind of money. There was a guy on here that redid one maybe he can chime in with what he paid. His and your are the only ones I have ever seen or heard of. Have seen the late 90's Gran Sport Direct Drives and around here they sell in that 10K range. I passed on a very nice one 2 years ago for $8700. Can't see yours being worth more than 3 times that. Plus lets not forget you have a very lengthy thread on here about how it doesn't run right!!!

Bottom line is like anything else….It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it!!!

Last edited by boardman74; 04-19-2014 at 8:58 PM.
Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 9:02 PM Reply   
Thanks for the opinion! Cleaned a few lines and it seems to be running great now. I havent seen a whole lot of them either, because by this year it seems most of them were rebadged Calabria. I believe the Calabria Pro v 23 is the exact same boat so thats all i have been able to compare it to. just looking to get opinions I appreciate it!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-19-2014, 9:12 PM Reply   
I wish you luck. I have had a couple lesser known brands over the years(Ski Challenger and a Pro Am) while they were good boats they were tough to sell as people just have no clue what they are. Your going to run into that and it will for sure affect value. Calabria's aren't much better know outside California/ West Coast. So relating it to that may or may not help your cause. If you really want it gone I'm betting your going to have to get into that low 20K range. If you don't really care whether it sells or not then you can list higher. What I am saying is you are going to have to be a more motivated seller than a guy selling a MC, Nautique, Malibu, etc.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-19-2014, 9:13 PM Reply   
low 20s at best assuming you have ballast and perfect pass too.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-19-2014, 9:16 PM Reply   
^And a tower.

I thought about that after typing my post. I was saying around 22K based on the fact you have typical features for that era, i.e. Ballast, Speed control, Tower, stereo, etc. If you don;t have that stuff you are probably going to be sub 20K.

Last edited by boardman74; 04-19-2014 at 9:19 PM.
Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 9:26 PM Reply   

Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 9:27 PM Reply   

Old    Coltj11            04-19-2014, 9:29 PM Reply   
Heres some photos to give you guys something to go off of... should have posted them first but im still learning around here
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-19-2014, 10:52 PM Reply   
I gotta say that is one sweet looking unique ride. The interior finishes it off. I always liked their gel scheme. Hydrodyne makes a super solid boat. They don't have the name recognition, but anyone that knows boats knows they were built with quality.

I say list it at 26 see what happens, but that's me as a Midwesterner where boats fetch a premium. Only downside I see is that mismatched carpet section. This all based in pics only

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-19-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-20-2014, 12:07 AM Reply   
Coltj, Do some research but I believe you will find that your hydrodyne is the same hull/boat as a Calabria Pro v. Although Calabria is still a small boat builder there are many more pro-v out there than your Hydrodyne branded boat. Boattrader has 4-5 2002-2003 Calabria pro-v listed in the $24-27k range. Not sure what you can get out of yours but knowing you have the same (or very similar) boat may help. From what I can tell Hydrodyne closed around 2003/2004 but Calabria was still making that hull (or similar) in 2008/2009. I do not see any Calabria boats built after 2009.

I owned a 1996 Hydrodyne grand sport as well as a few other small boat builder brands and they have all been great boat. When selling these smaller builder boats the key is to get as many people to know that your boat is for sale.

1. Remember that very few if anybody is going to be searching for that specific brand or model so you need to have your boat pulled in when they are searching for similar wake boats.
2. Research what other wakeboard boats are selling for in your area and price accordingly.
2. Know what level of quality your boat is compared to the other brand options. The more knowledge the better you can inform on how your boat compares to others that they are familiar with.
3. When listing the boat use a title like "Hydrodyne professional wakeboard wakesurf boat similar to Mastercraft" (or whatever is the local brand favorite).
3. Include in the body of the listing all the major wakeboard boat brands (similar to Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Supra, Tige, Moomba, Axis...)
4. Know a local mechanic or dealership who can service this brand of marine engine (Mercruiser, Indmar, PCM)
5. If you get someone interested who is truly a wake boat buyer try to get them out in person to look at the boat and if possible out on the water in the boat.

Good luck.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-20-2014, 5:23 AM Reply   
Neat boat but I'd give up the 28k dream. People in that budget and year range are looking at stuff from the Big 3; Wakesetter VLX's, X-Star's and SAN's. You'd have to find a pretty rare buyer looking for your specific boat and willing to pay top dollar for it.

Low 20's is much more reasonable.
Old    Coltj11            04-20-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Thanks swatguy for the compliment! It is definately unique! I love the redone interior and it feels so large that it's like being in your living room at home! Thanks for all the tips/opinions I'll be sure to look into them!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Well It all started back with Ski Brendellas. Mike Brendel was the founder, he got 2 other co-owners on board. Mike lost control of his company and left to form MB Sports.

Ski Brendella became Calabria. Calabria bought Hydrodyne back in 1997 and used a lot of the Hydrodyne stuff in the Calabrias, which is why they are essentially the same boats from 1997 on.

Eventually they stopped making Hydrodynes. Calabria's web page has last been updated as of 2009. Last I heard, they stopped making them and the factory that made them started making Supremes.

It's a confusing origin with lots of hear say here and there, but that's the gist of it.

Either way, if someone knows what a Calabria is, they can be told, sold, and shown, that your Hydrodyne is a Calabria

I think low to mid 20s would be a good price for it. 28k seems a little on the high side.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
Might as well be a clone of mine, except mine has the stargazer PP.
Attached Images

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-20-2014, 4:14 PM Reply   
Yup. Brother from umm, the same mother with a different name?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2014, 4:25 PM Reply   
I really like the 2 toned interior id like the grey and orange on mine. Is the grey super hot in the summer?
Old    Coltj11            04-20-2014, 4:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the background I knew they were closely related, but wasn't sure on the timeline! It could come in handy trying to make a sale! And bill nice boat it does appear to be exactly the same. The grey/ silver isn't really too bad in the sun. It has a little texture to it which might help a little it's not the plain flat vinyl. That would look sick on your boat I get compliments on mine all the time.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2014, 5:22 PM Reply   
Does yours have the pure vert ballast system too? Its really fast i just wish the tanks were a lilttle bigger.
Old    Coltj11            04-20-2014, 6:00 PM Reply   
It does have the pure vert system and I enjoy the simplicity of it although it could be bigger for surfing. If you don't mind me asking when did you buy yours, and how much did you pay?
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
Ive had mine for a little over 4 years paid 26 for it. Prob could have gotten a diff boat for a little less, but i like having a different boat. Im on the east coast and having a westcoast boat is kinda rare.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-20-2014, 6:48 PM Reply   
You trying to sell yours? Ill but that bimini from you.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       04-21-2014, 10:22 AM Reply   
Phathom's mostly right on some of the history stuff. Hydrodyne built their own boats up until 1997 basically, with the last models being the Grand Sport/Comp (direct drives) and the Nexstars (V-drives). As far as I know, only the name got sold to Calabria, so anything built after that point is just a Calabria with a different name on the side.

The direct drive molds got bought by Cobalt who made a few ski boats in 97/98 and gave it up. Not sure on the Nexstar mold, but it's definitely different than the 02 Hydrodyne/Calabria Pro-V.

As other's have mentioned, you should price yours according to what you find for Pro-V's, and you're probably looking at low 20's to get it out the door.

Nice looking boat, by the way - really like the interior colors.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-21-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
Post it for sell around Seattle. I think any Sea Hawks fan would love it.

P.S. I really like your interior.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-21-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Or in oregon. A schmuck fan might buy it.

I am right there with others. I think a 2002 ProV is worth right around 25k in good condition and with all the options. That would make that boat worth a couple grand less. I would make sure and list it with Calabria and Pro-V mentioned. Hell, if on craigslist I would probably put "same boat as Calabria Pro-V" right in the title. If listing on boat trader or onlyinboards I may list it under calabria rather than Hydrodyne as well. Just make sure to mention it is a hydrodyne badged boat and not a Calabria.

Also, don't do what calabria did and lie about the length. It is a 21-21'6" boat, not a 24' boat like they say.

Cool boat by the way. I dig it. Minus the whole Duck colors.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-21-2014, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm curious if these rebadged Hydrodyne carry Calabria Hull ID numbers?
Old    Coltj11            04-21-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice/ compliments. I really hate to sell the Bimini cause I will be using it until it sells! The Hull I.D is BCPO0170E202 if anyone cares to check the calabria hull theory!
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       04-21-2014, 3:43 PM Reply   
Well if they dont want it when it sells i do.......just sayin
Old    Coltj11            04-21-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
I'll keep it in mind! I appreciate it.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       05-14-2014, 5:07 AM Reply   
Hey Colt....you ever surf your boat? If so got any pics of the wave and the setup you use? I'm having a tough time getting anything decent out of mine.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-14-2014, 7:21 AM Reply   
We have a pro v in town for 23 in good condition and low hours that has been sitting for well over a year. I'd say 20-22. For the little cost I'd prob get the carpet fixed.