Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ShredNCwake)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
It's that time again... water is getting cold... full suits are coming out.

Why are we throwing shorts on over our full suits ???

any other opinions on this? (all in good fun)
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-20-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
Agreed... No trunks. From a crew that wore a full suit for 2/3 of the season .
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-20-2013, 2:53 PM Reply   
its weird when my crew can see an outline of my goods... and its usually cold, so it makes me feel less manly (I would be more accepting of this if my riding made up for it, but my riding is pitiful as well) then again.. maybe not so weird. We makeout when were drunk.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-20-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Sportin' the surfer look.
Attached Images

Old     (ShredNCwake)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-20-2013, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
its weird when my crew can see an outline of my goods... and its usually cold, so it makes me feel less manly (I would be more accepting of this if my riding made up for it, but my riding is pitiful as well) then again.. maybe not so weird. We makeout when were drunk.
haha... rock on, brother
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-20-2013, 3:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
its weird when my crew can see an outline of my goods... and its usually cold, so it makes me feel less manly
HA! I have never heard of that excuse before.

My feelings on this are the same as they are for those wearing shirts over their vests (that aren't sponsored by the name on the t) . It seems a bit unnecessary....unless you're a little self-conscious of your shrunken dong-piece . To each his own...
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-20-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
I wore these for one lap at WTM just for you all, because I know you guys love boardshorts over a wetsuit SO MUCH.
Attached Images

Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-20-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
^you sure it wasn't for another reason?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-20-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
Nah, they came off right after the second lap. They held too much mud and it was still brutally hot at this point. I just didn't want to make the other runners feel inferior. Which I'm sure they did as I trudged along later in the cold wearing my XCEL Drylock 5.4 suit (get one they're AMAZING) as they all ran past me over and over.

Ahahahahahahaha.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-20-2013, 5:41 PM Reply   
Always wear boardshorts over my shorty. Not sure why full suit would be any different except I never need one here.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-20-2013, 6:38 PM Reply   
We have 2 mid 30's guys and 2 mid 40's guys on our crew. The mid 30's feel it is cool. The mid 40's guys (myself included) don't see the point. I do think it looks better but figure why get something wet completely unnecessarily.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-20-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
I have never worn anything over my wet suit. but now y'all got me self conscious! that's it, I'm wearing my speedo over my wetsuit! starting.... MEOW
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-21-2013, 12:04 AM Reply   
I've done the shorts over a full wetsuit, but not any more, it's a tough call imho, looks dorky with shorts but looks pretty dumpy without them too.
I do wear shorts over a shortie though, I don't think it looks as dorky.

Maybe it's me but we are not surfers, wakeboarders spend way more time on the water as opposed it in it and it's faster sport with more spins and rotations and things flying around, like long hair, just make them look cooler.

The latest trend of wearing t-shirts over full wetsuits I really don't get, especially when they are not wearing shorts, I mean if you think shorts over a suit looks dumb them why would you think a t-shirt looks better?
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-21-2013, 4:23 AM Reply   
shorts over shorty, no shorts over full
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-21-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
^^ agreed^^
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-21-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
I think I'll sport some shorts over my drysuit
Old     (jcon44)      Join Date: Aug 2012 Location: denver, NC       11-21-2013, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
I hope you have some chicks in your crew. Actually scratch that, if your comfortable with it so am I.

I'm more concerned about what to wear under the wetsuit. I've always worn boardshorts in the past but its certainly not easy getting them situated.
Old     (Ansorge10)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-21-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
I did once because I saw Randall Harris do it so I thought if I did it it would help my riding... It didn't help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-21-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
It's the vest that changes this argument. If you wear a full suit and no vest, then fine. But if you're wearing a vest over your full suit, it just looks silly to not have shorts on.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-21-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
We must be a blessed group of people, if the most we have to worry about is whether or not to wear board shorts over our wetsuits!

All I own are full suits. As to whether or not I wear shorts over them - it depends on what color my mood ring is that day, as well as if I'm wearing a 4/3 or a 3/2. I go comando underneath them all, and the 3/2 is MUCH more light weight and I reallllly feel naked in it, so I'm more prone to wear shorts over the 3/2. In the 4/3 I tend to go without.
Old     (ShredNCwake)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-21-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
It's the vest that changes this argument. If you wear a full suit and no vest, then fine. But if you're wearing a vest over your full suit, it just looks silly to not have shorts on.
ehhhh... I don't know about that one..

I think it looks a little sillier to look like a chick with leggings on under her shorts
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-21-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
If it even made me ride half-way like Randall Harris, I'd be sporting shorts over my full suit in July at Parker, AZ (geeky helmet included).
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       11-22-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Wake pants need to come back. Then, nobody knows if you're wearing shorty or full
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-22-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
How about the fall riding special:

-Full wet suit
-Shorts
-Saskatchewan dinner jacket
-Rubber boots
-Tweety bird touque
-Work gloves

I believe I had jogging pants on at one point as well, water was still a liquid, but not by much
Attached Images

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-22-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
Dri fit type material athletic underwear. Supportive, obviously dries faster than other stuff, and allows the wetsuit compression fit which is the whole point of a wetsuit, a thin layer if any of water between skin and neoprene that is warmed via body heat. Wearing shorts under the wetsuit defeats the whole point in my opinion, and to each his own on whether to wear them on the outside. I think it's looks silly with them on, just as some think it looks silly without. Even with the vest, still looks silly to wear shorts over a wetsuit to me, but I could really care less. If someone thinks something because someone else does or doesn't wear shorts over a wetsuit then they've got some hardcore mental issues. I also like to have a dry pair to change into out of my wetsuit, or just generally save the amount of gear lugging and laundry.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-22-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
This: shorts over shorty, no shorts over full

...and Joe......FREE BALL IT!
Old     (RideGull)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-23-2013, 5:35 AM Reply   
Wear shorts. I don't want to catch a glimpse of your junk. Wetsuits already look dumb anyway, so are we really worried about wearing shorts or not?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
Have to agree with Jarrod on this. Shorts over wetsuit of ANY kind. No one in the boat wants to see the outline of your junk. Be kind to the rest of the people in the boat and on the rest of the lake. Please wear shorts over your wetsuit.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-23-2013, 9:03 AM Reply   
Boy how "cool" has changed...
Attached Images

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-23-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
Why are you looking at people's junk anyway? I'm there to ride, not worry about what my outfit looks like.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-23-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
Shorts over a suit looks like the guy in the gorilla suit wearing boxers. A fashion statement, yes, but why?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-23-2013, 11:12 PM Reply   
You people worrying about seeing the outline of another guy's junk crack me up. Are you looking at that spot? Because unless you want to really focus on it then you're not going to see much. You're more likely to see something when someone is only wearing board shorts. Should guys wear something to hide that too?

This argument has been going on for a long time and it is seems it's mostly West Coast people that think you should wear shorts over a full suit. If it's just a style thing and that's what you prefer then I'll disagree but respect your style choice. But I'll never respect the junk argument because it's a BS argument. Seriously, what do you see that is so awful? And do you quickly turn the page or skip video when you see the pros wearing their full-suits? "Man, I almost saw Murray's junk. Good thing I'm a fast page turner."

At least 7 years ago I remember people talking about wearing shorts over a full suit to prevent seeing "another guy's junk" so as a joke I bought a dress at a thrift store and threw it on for a set. I have pictures somewhere and will try to find them. It was really easy to put on and totally hid my "junk" from the prying eyes of all the other dudes that day.

Maybe you junk-shy riders should have a dress in the boat you can all share?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-24-2013, 12:02 AM Reply   
^lol at the dress.

Personally I only wear a shorty, no full suits for me. By the time I would consider having to wear a full suit everyone is done for the season even after being out with their full suits and dry suits. I'm a polar bear though, so 50 degree water ad a shorty is good for me.
That being said, I typically wear shorts over my shorty to prevent from intimidating everyone out on the boat and having all the girls jump my bones jk
I think it adds a little bit more padding for some wakeboarding falls and just looks a little better IMO. With my shorty and shorts and a vest it just looks like I'm out there normal pretending it's not so cold.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-24-2013, 5:52 AM Reply   
Gentlemen, half of you sound like you've never been in a gym locker room.

I'd like to settle this argument.
Confidence is something I've got, it allows me to wear my full suit without shorts over it, allows me to free-ball it under a pair of mint colored boardies. If you've got confidence, you don't worry about who sees or doesn't see your junk. If someone is looking for it, chances are they wanna see it.
So just remember this next time you hit the lake.

Are you confident? No? Then keep wearing boxers under your board shorts and shorts over your full suit, we will all know you lack that confidence.

Last edited by simplej; 11-24-2013 at 5:54 AM.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-24-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
Don't look so deep into it with the confidence thing. I wear boardies over my suit, but I also enjoy doing a few "balls out" sets in mid July when it's nasty hot. The early beach goers get a laugh out of it and no one reports it because they know wakeboarders own the lake.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-24-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
'confidence is someting i've got'

Not said by a confident person ever. :-)
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       11-24-2013, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooya View Post
'confidence is someting i've got'

Not said by a confident person ever. :-)
This^
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       11-24-2013, 6:44 PM Reply   
Nothing over. Nothing under. #YOLO
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-24-2013, 8:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwake133 View Post
Nothing over. Nothing under. #YOLO
#winning

I'll just leave this here...
I guess it's fashionable to wear shorts over your full suit.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-24-2013, 10:16 PM Reply   
#boom
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-25-2013, 3:15 AM Reply   
Those guys would look even sillier without the shorts. Skin tight pants are for guys who ride bicycles and went out for everyone else after the 70's.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-25-2013, 7:04 AM Reply   
I don't wear shorts if I don't have to, but I don't wear a T-shirt over my vest either. Not for style, but because I don't want to do any more laundry than I have too. I will sport a shirt at the park on crispy days in the middle of summer for sun protection. I can't wear it over though, I grab it too much when I pass the handle.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-25-2013, 8:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcon44 View Post
I hope you have some chicks in your crew. Actually scratch that, if your comfortable with it so am I.

I'm more concerned about what to wear under the wetsuit. I've always worn boardshorts in the past but its certainly not easy getting them situated.
"I'm more concerned about what to wear under the wetsuit. I've always worn boardshorts in the past but its certainly not easy getting them situated. "
the answer is nothing. but i have found wearing compression shorts like procombats or under armour shorts make it easy for changing in public. so if i am in public compression shorts. if i am at my lake nothing. and shorts over is gay. if you are that worried about your junk outline and it being cold the put a roll of dimes in there bud i am sure it will make you look bigger for your guy friends cause lets face it in cold weather you rarely have that many chicks on the boat.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
I think Mick Jager used a roll of quarters. This thread is nothing if not fun for a few chuckles...
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-25-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Let's face it, anyone that wears shorts over a wet suit has a small dingle worm. They are not trying to protect others from seeing them. They are trying to prevent themselves from being seen.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-25-2013, 11:11 AM Reply   
The one thing that grinds my gears more than wearing shorts over a wetty (which i honestly could care less about) is when kids wear tshirts over their wetty and NO shorts. Adub does this all the time and he looks silly. If your gonna wear a shirt then wear the shorts too, but really the consensus seems to be that you should do neither. I say BRING BACK WAKE PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by devildog_ra; 11-25-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-25-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Let's face it, anyone that wears shorts over a wet suit has a small dingle worm. They are not trying to protect others from seeing them. They are trying to prevent themselves from being seen.
dude i am hung like a field mouse. i just dont give a crap. let everyone see. i still rock no shorts over the wetsuit shorty or not.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-25-2013, 2:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Gentlemen, half of you sound like you've never been in a gym locker room.

I'd like to settle this argument.
Confidence is something I've got, it allows me to wear my full suit without shorts over it, allows me to free-ball it under a pair of mint colored boardies. If you've got confidence, you don't worry about who sees or doesn't see your junk. If someone is looking for it, chances are they wanna see it.
So just remember this next time you hit the lake.

Are you confident? No? Then keep wearing boxers under your board shorts and shorts over your full suit, we will all know you lack that confidence.
Ah man....you figured me out. I lack confidence. This must be the issue. Thank you for helping me figure it out. How did you get to be so smart?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-25-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
Most board shorts go below the knee. And most boots these days span half way up your shin. So are we really debating whether the 4 inches of visible neoprene between your boot and your shorts looks stupid?

As stated, many west coast riders like shorts over their suits. Girls included. You think we lack confidence and have small junk. We think you look silly.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-25-2013, 3:11 PM Reply   
This same discussion was on wake space almost 10 YEARS AGO......
(2004)
LOL!
Sagin back then...

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-25-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
SOOO much butt-hurt in this thread from the underwear over pants camp, i mean shorts over full suit...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-25-2013, 4:19 PM Reply   
and no we don't think you "have small junk" that just highlights the hilarity of the argument that you guys make to support shorts over your suit "i don't want the boat to see my junk". we just think its weird that you feel a need wear a redundant piece of equipment, which is what makes you look silly, thick neoprene all black suit with shorts over it cmon these aren't yoga pants

uhhhwhy?
and don't mention vandal rocking weird combos, he wears cutoffs to shred so thats a moot point
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-25-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
I'm sure this guy is worried about his junk showing...
Attached Images

Old     (gibbs114)      Join Date: Oct 2013       11-25-2013, 6:04 PM Reply   
I rock the shorts, even if it looks funny!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385431438.844319.jpg
Views: 9134
Size:  105.0 KB
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-25-2013, 8:18 PM Reply   
Man that's a tiny wake..... Tiny wake, tiny junk?.... lol
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       11-25-2013, 10:45 PM Reply   
I've honestly never understood putting boardshorts over any type of wetsuit (shorty OR full). It serves no functional purpose and to me screams "I am embarrassed by my weeny" just like the wearing jersey fad screams "I'm a tool". I also think shorts over looks really dorky. To each their own I guess.
Old     (rugbyballa3)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-26-2013, 4:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs114 View Post
I rock the shorts, even if it looks funny!Attachment 33040
now i can understand this guy trying to wear as much as he can. i mean dude is so small his wet suit dont even fit properly.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-26-2013, 5:51 AM Reply   
I'm hot and cold on both. Sometimes I throw them on, sometimes I don't.

I will say, that it DOES look a little funny to be wearing a life jacket and no shorts. A surfer with JUST a wetsuit looks normal and uniformly sized with nothing else on. A wakeboarder with a bulky vest on looks funny, like a body builder who never does legs. Wearing trunks sort of evens out the look and makes it look uniform.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-26-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
Funny that so many people worry about what other people are doing.

If you live in a cold part of the world and wear a shorty for most of the season with shorts over and if you extend your season in to full suit territory are you mean to stop wearing boardies despite wearing them for the previous 5 months to please people who have big or small "junk"? I am confused

I definitely would be more worried what chics thought than guys but even that dissipates as you get older. When you hit your 30s+ doing things to please others really doesn't rank high on the agenda.

At the end of the day unless you are young, slim (girls), well built (men) no one looks "good" in a wetsuit. Just do what you want.

There's quite a move here in the UK to just rock up wearing normal clothing shorts jump on the cable, do your sets, jump off and dry off and go home. I am sure we will be having a debate about whether you should be wearing fashion clothes whilst riding rather than boardshorts soon enough.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       11-26-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
^I think we already see that quite a bit here. I've never tried it (nor will I) but riding in skin tight cut off jean shorts like a lot of wake skaters now days does not seem very comfortable to me. I'm from the west coast and I usually ride with shorts over my wetsuit but sometimes I don't and nobody I'm my boat cares. I can agree with both sides of the argument. Does it seem silly to get another piece of laundry dirty that is unnecessary.... Yes.
Do I want to be in a boat all day full of dudes wearing skin tight clothes... not exactly.
Do I care either way.... not really

It seems like a lot of people that are against wearing shorts over full suits still wear them over a shorty... can I ask your reasoning? Do you lack confidence in your pasty white chicken legs? haha Seems a little hypocritical to me but hey.... as long as we are all out riding and having fun that's all that matters to me
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-26-2013, 10:30 AM Reply   
I dont know. Ive got a buddy who rocks a shorty and his entire piece is on display. I wish he would out shorts over it. Wakeboarding is no place for hanging dong
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-26-2013, 10:32 AM Reply   
Maybe the anti shorts crowd just doesn't like it when you cover up your junk. Why u wanna look at our junk?
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-27-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
I am not sure I have ever seen the word "junk" used so much (in fact I am not sure I have ever used it before this thread)
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-27-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
There was once a time that I thought it looked better to have shorts over the full suit, but then i realized if i wanted to change when i got out of the water I would need an extra pair of boardies or pants for that. Now I just embrace the no shorts look and change into my cozy, dry boardies when i get out.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-27-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs114 View Post
I rock the shorts, even if it looks funny!Attachment 33040
Apparently Abe Lincoln does it.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-27-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
There was once a time that I thought it looked better to have shorts over the full suit, but then i realized if i wanted to change when i got out of the water I would need an extra pair of boardies or pants for that. Now I just embrace the no shorts look and change into my cozy, dry boardies when i get out.
Surely one just changes into what they were wearing before regardless of whether they wear shorts on top?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-01-2013, 4:24 PM Reply   
Jason, that's just too obvious. I always have a extra pair of boardshorts in my car.
Old     (Brett002)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-02-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
Let's hope "Josh Palma" wears shorts over his wetsuit, if not we are all done...
Old     (mark197)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-02-2013, 2:53 PM Reply   
Always every time. I live a couple minutes from the landing and throw my suit on at home then drive to the landing with shorts on over. I don't need to be prepping the boat to hit the water in just my wetsuit. Then when I am done riding I throw a pair of sweats on and feel like money. Oh and you have to freeball underneath no questions about it.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       12-05-2013, 10:09 PM Reply   
Free ball under is the only way. When you pee in your suit nothing else gets dirty. All you need is a beach towel to change into your suit. It's so easy.

This is the first time I have ever even heard about wearing shorts over a suit. Really? Grew up surfing all over and can't remember anyone ever wearing shorts. Seems so weird to me. My girl always loves when I put my shorty on so why cover it up.
Old     (tristan)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-06-2013, 4:11 AM Reply   
If skin tight jeans or leggings are something you wear in public you'll have no problem wearing some skin tight neoprene to display your manliness in a sport where you'll mainly be surrounded by - men
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-06-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
Never have worn shorts over my full suit, never will. Just my personal preference....to each his own.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-12-2013, 9:20 PM Reply   
Use a XXXL cup to eliminate mooseknuckle oogling