Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Cheenan)      Join Date: May 2013       06-23-2014, 7:54 AM Reply   
A friend of mine just bought a used X-Star.

I am asking the Elite minds of Wake World answers for the following questions:
- Using stock ballast what is going to produce the best wake
- Using stock ballast what is going to produce the surf wake

I have done a little searching around the forum for these answers, but most people I see have added extra weight over stock.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-23-2014, 8:21 AM Reply   
Just being honest and not trying to be negative by any means but for the surf side of things you will want much more than stock ballast in that boat. I doubt you'll get any kind of decent wave out of that boat with only factory ballast. As far as wakeboarding, it has one of the best wakes out there. If you and your buddy only have recreational needs than factory ballast wiil be fine. The wake with factory ballast is very rampy and very easy to learn behind. The rule of thumb is always 60/40 weight ratio. 60 % in the back and 40% in the front. Most factory ballast systems are set up this way. If you are capable of inverts, mobes, etc, you'll want much more weight.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-23-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
I have an 06 star. Can't help on the surf set up but I run sumo 600s in the back, fill the 500 KGB center tank and run a flyhigh 750 in walkway into the bow. I only fill the 250 hard tanks to balance boat . The hard tanks in these boats are not in the rear, they are mid ship.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2014, 9:15 AM Reply   
Using stock ballast, the best way to produce the best wake is to fill the stock ballast.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-23-2014, 5:16 PM Reply   
^^Haha^^ Also check out the Fly High kit. I ordered just the bags and did my own three-way ball valves, they're brass and more durable than the ones in the kit. Plus with this kit you can tune your wake. Wakeboarding wake with this kit is huge! As for surfing with this kit, I fill KGB and port hard tank plus the Fly High port rear bag. Works ok, but swim deck cuts into surf wake pretty bad. Remember, this boat designed to throw an awesome wakeboard wake, not a surf wave. Have fun with it!
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2014, 5:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Using stock ballast, the best way to produce the best wake is to fill the stock ballast.
I was thinking the exact same thing LOL
Old     (Cheenan)      Join Date: May 2013       06-24-2014, 5:10 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info guys

Looking forward to some glassy water and a monster wake!