Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-07-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
Sanger v230, black scorpion engine. Just got back from a sunset cruise with the wife. Boat ran great last weekend. noticed a whining noise at 2000-2500 rpms and up. pulled the hatch up and I have water spraying everywhere, from the back of the engine where the belt is. tried searching, but couldn't find a damn thing. this site seems to have deteriorated a bit...

It was too dark to see where exactly it was coming from so we just idled around for a bit then put it back on the trailer. Auto bilge came on quite frequently, but I also noticed a leak when the engine wasn't running.

i'm new to vdrives and already learning how hard they are to work on. my water pump obviously needs some attention. i think this boat sat for a while before i bought it. i seem to remember something about the bearing going and it leaking from a weep hole?

all in all, loving it! and looking forward to putting some serious hours on it this year.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-07-2014, 8:16 PM Reply   
Could be your prop shaft seal??
Did the engine get hot? If not I would think the water pump would be okay.
Or a cracked hose??
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2014, 8:57 PM Reply   
Sounds like a blown impeller gasket. If it is, it's a cheap (like 3 bucks) and quick fix. I'd change the impeller to while you have the plate off.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-07-2014, 9:27 PM Reply   
I was thinking the gasket too. I think the boat sat for a while before I bought it. 300 hours on an 06. how hard is it to get the pump off? I know.. grab a wrench and go pull it. will do impeller while I'm in there. good call. Never thought l'd miss my direct drive, but I do when it comes to working on it.

thanks for the replies fellas!
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2014, 11:06 PM Reply   
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1206
Size:  26.6 KB
Try this drain plug for water spraying on belt. Or your raw water pump seal may have gone bad either the shaft seal or the O-ring on the impeller cover. Remove the port side engine panel you should be able to see. Also if you remove the clips that hold the gas struts to the engine cover it will open 90 degrees and make it easier to see and work on. Good luck, I know this engine pretty well if you have ?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2014, 3:20 AM Reply   
Have you fully checked around your muffler
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       06-08-2014, 3:25 AM Reply   
Try revving the boat in neutral to increase the water flow through the engine while checking, sometimes checking at idle won't help. If it's not the water pump check your muffler and if it's the muffler replace it asap those things can explode. Muffler crack is usually caused by overheating so if it's the muffler, the problem probably started elsewhere (impeller, water pump, overheat, etc).
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2014, 5:50 AM Reply   
Like said above if the engine did not get hot the impeller should be fine. Best guess is the shaft seal. The engine sits low in a sanger if the water level in the bilge gets to high the belt will pick it up and fling water all over the place. My friend has the merc engine in his boat. We slam it hard for surfing and tend to take on a lot of water. When the level in the bilge gets to high the same thing happens on his boat. I would bet your bilge pump is located to the side of the bilge and not mounted in the bottom back of the bilge. Look at its location if it is mounted up and over this will be a normal problem. By the time the water level gets to the pump it has also reached the belt.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-08-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
Sometimes you can drive around all day with a partially blown impeller gasket shooting water all over the engine bay without the engine overheating because there's still enough water going through the block to keep everything cool. Those water pumps throw an amazing amount of water. You shouldn't have to remove the entire water pump just to change the impeller and gasket - just remove the 3 or 4 screws on the cover plate and everything's right there.
Old     (WheelerWake)      Join Date: Mar 2013       06-08-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
Could be a hose too, I had the same symptom, was a loose clamp on the recirculation hose.
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-09-2014, 5:11 PM Reply   
I had similar on my V230. A hose wore through from friction and as the got incresing larger I would take in water.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-11-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
You may have a bad water pump. Not the pump at the bottom of the engine, rather the water pump kind of at the top of the engine. Who knew these things had 2 pumps. It is driven by the serpentine belt. Anyways, pretty cheap part and overall EZ to swap out. Mine had corroded.