Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (superwake220)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-30-2016, 5:09 PM Reply   
I have a 2012 Supreme V226, at 39 hrs the prop shaft coupler bolts broke. Shop but new bolts on and said have fun. At 143 hrs bolts broke again. Took it back to the same shop and now they say that the prop shaft is bent and that the strut needs to be replaced and eng aligned. I have never hit anything or never beached it. WTF. The question I want to know is " Is this common with these boats?" and "Where can I get a shaft and strut?" I don't want to have to pay the shop $1000 in labor costs. Help me please!!!!!!!!
Old     (flatbroke)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-02-2016, 10:05 PM Reply   
Something is definitely bent or out of alignment. The bolts that hold the coupler together can last the lifetime of the boat with normal service. That said, if I were to mess with it myself, I would first verify that the transmission to shaft alignment is correct by separating the coupler enough so that you could visually check the match up. If no misalignment is apparent, have an assistant spin the prop to see if there is any sort of wobble in the coupler. My guess is that if the shop said that a new strut is needed due to being bent, you may be able to see one side of the coupler closer to its mating surface than the other. If the shaft is bent, it will present itself with a wobble in the coupler. I would also give the strut a good visual, looking for and indications of damage i.e. nicks, gouges bending or uneven wear at both ends of the strut bushing.
As to the cause... could be anything from an accident at the factory while loading it onto the trailer, missing the alignment step during assembly to something that happened in one of the first outings on the water. In any case it needs to be corrected.
Ive done a couple of the old Sanger flats that I've had. Easy access. With my V221, I would consider 1k in labor a deal for having to remove all of the interior necessary for access, removal of the strut and possibly the rudder,replacing the strut, shaft and possibly the coupler. The alignment process and finally the reassembly of everything that needed to come out for access.
As far as parts, I would check the strut for a casting stamp and the prop shaft for markings as well that may have a model / part#. Internet search is your friend here.

One word of caution though if you bring your own parts to the shop to put in. Some shops may not warrant their work on customer supplied parts. Could be penny wise and pound foolish. Just something to think about.