Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (michelle69)      Join Date: Feb 2010 Location: Chico, CA       05-15-2014, 11:31 AM Reply   
I would like to know the best place to order an Impeller through?

I watched a couple of you tube videos on how to change an impeller, but my question is..."how the heck do I get back behind the engine to see what I'm doing? Flash light and mirror? It's hard enough finding the plugs around the sides of the engine once/year

Any advice would help
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-15-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
Its tight fit, I always pay someone to do it
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-15-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
Lol pull your boat out in to the daylight! Black scorpion there is pulley bracket that holds your housing pill that whole housing off makes it easier!do NOT PAY SOMEONE ! Cuz if it ever goes our and your on a trip or something your screwed but if you've done it before you can be back on the water in 30 min!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-15-2014, 4:30 PM Reply   
The cheapest and easiest place for me to order impellers for my Indmar LTR is amazon. $29 shipped. If you can figure out what you need you can check there. I've also ordered them from SkiDim.com but they're a few more bucks and they charge for shipping. If you aren't sure what you need they'd be more helpful than amazon.

It's a black scorpion? This might be you:
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBB136327

"AROUND 2002 UP MERCRUISER
#47-862232A2, Black Scorpion S/N OM391600 and up, S/N OW690000 and up. MX 6.2L S/N OM317000 and up. 5.7 MPI SKI S/N 1A090000 and up. New style pump that has the blue water drain petcock on the side."
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-15-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
I've had both the MPI and the black scorpion of that era of Mercruiser. Just loosen the belt and take the bracket holding the water pump off of the block (I believe it's 2 bolts). It's a lot easier to pop the water pump apart on a bench. While you have it out, take a look at your housing. Mine failed last year, and I lost a weekend of use.
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-15-2014, 9:06 PM Reply   
I just finished mine yesterday. I have the newer style housing with the drain holes, a vacuum hose, and 2 air lines connected to it. I had to loosen fuel filter assembly, (2 nuts- on either side of the motor mount and 1 bolt on the front of the block), remove the muffler (8 hose clamps), and take off the serpentine belt. There are two fasteners holding the pump bracket to the block. the upper is a stud and the lower (1 1/2" below stud) is a bolt. It took me about 2 hours to take it all apart and 45 min to put it all back together.

Make sure you take a pic of the rotation of the impeller when you unbolt the cover, it makes reassembly a lot easier! I used a zip tie to squeeze and fold over the impeller fins to shove it back in the housing.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-15-2014, 11:51 PM Reply   
Man you guys got it rough! Mine is tight to get to but I just remove three small screws take a plate off, pull the old one out with needle nose and stuff the new one in. Literally 5 min or so job. A mirror and a good light will always help you in those tight spots especially if its unfamiliar to you. I'd take the time to learn how to do it now so you can be prepared in case you have a failure down the road.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-16-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
2nd for checking the housing if you have the plastic one. I fried and impeller last year and the inside of the housing was paritally melted and beyond reusable. Upgrade to the brass housing if you have the time and budget.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
I know how to do it, just lazy, and i have a guy that will do it for me for super cheap, just sayin.........
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-16-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
I'm with Anthony.
I know how to change the oil in my truck. No damn way Im doing it.
But you should do it at least once to prevent being stranded some day or having a whole vacation shot in the ass over something so simple.