Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2019, 12:17 PM Reply   
The skin doc thinks I have basal cell carcinoma on my forehead, I am getting a punch biopsy next week. I have been doing a lot of reading about longevity, cancer and Alzheimer prevention before getting this diagnosis and have been intermittent fasting for 5 months. I've come across this new therapy which is starting to be used in cancer treatment called push/pulse. The idea is you put the cancer in a disadvantaged environment then you hit it with a traditional therapy, chemo, radiation etc. So I thought why not try the push therapy before the biopsy to shrink the tumor down before they cut it out. The less they have to cut out the better. So I thought I would document the process so if anyone else has the need they can see the process and if I make any difference with torturing myself.

So to be 100% clear to everyone THIS IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR TRADITIONAL CANCER MANAGEMENT, it is a technique you can use along with the normal stuff.

The push treatment for this type of tumor is water fasting. Most tumors are Glycolytic which means they use glycogen for energy, this is different from most other tissue which is metabolically flexible and use either Ketones,fats or carbs depending on whats available. This is know as the Warburg effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warburg_effect_(oncology)

The cancer I have is a (suspected) BCC. I have a sore on my head which has been a bit weapy for 4 months, it would develop a scab then fall off and bleed a bit then scab over again. I did a 5 day water fast about a month ago and it healed over for the first time and then a couple of weeks later I went in to the see the doc for my normal annual skin check.

The heart of the therapy is to manage your Glucose to Ketone ratio to starve the tumor of the fuel it needs and ideally give it such a kick in the balls that your normally healthy immune cells can gobble it up.

https://keto-mojo.com/pages/glucose-ketone-index-gki

The plan is to do Keto for a couple of days to ease the transition and then water fast for 5 days. For me 5 days seems to be a pretty good sweet spot where I can get the therapeutic benefits without loosing too much muscle mass. If want more therapy then I would do 5 days then recover my body weight then do another 5 days until I get the number of days I want. The main component is diet but I will be exercising for a couple reasons also. Gym work to help maintain muscle mass, aerobic exercise to drive down the blood glucose. The target is to get my GKI between 1&3 and maintain it for 3-4 days.

So this thread is a daily log of my amateurs metabolic therapy for BCC.