Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
I am considering all three of these tires for my 2500 Yukon XL. I had a set of the Generals on my last Suburban and they were excellent but I have also heard great things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers and the BFGs. I would love to hear some opinions from you if you have run one or more of these tires on your tow vehicle.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Pics
Attached Images

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-18-2010, 6:41 AM Reply   
I am in the same boat and can't find a straight answer anywhere on the web. I am leaning toward the Nitto Dura Grappler because I do more highway than off road driving. I have a 2007 Tundra with 45,000 miles and am getting ready to install my third set of tires!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-18-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
You should also look at Toyo Open Country AT. The best tire I ever put on a truck for mainly on road performance.

Last edited by ajholt7; 08-18-2010 at 6:47 AM.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-18-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
i would go with the toyo's also. either there all terrains or mud terrains are a great choice
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I've had the Toyo's before and liked them..... But I'm now on my second set of BFGs on my current truck and love them.... The BFGs are a different tire than the rest, they have 3 ply sidewalls, and basically everything else has 2 plys from my understanding.... The BFGs ride a little stiffer, but that stiff sidewall makes them handle much better. Last fall I tried a set of the new Bridgestone Revo2s on my truck, and ended up bringing them back inside of a month. They just felt squirrelly due to the softer sidewall. I brought them back and they put the BFGs on for me. The guy at the shop said it's not uncommon for someone that had BFGs to try a different tire and not like them. Once you get used to the handling difference, it's hard to go back! I'm running 285/75/16s on a 1/2 ton Silverado, so with that tall sidewall the handling difference was very noticeable. Noise wise, the BFGs aren't bad at all, not any louder than the Toyo ATs I had before the BFGs. Also- I've been told that the Toyo At's and the Nitto Terra Grapplers are the same tire.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
I've owned probably 10 sets of BFG All Terrains over the years on various vehicles. Trucks and Jeeps, every single set has been fantastic. long even treadwear, good mannered on the road and serviceable off road (unless you're in sticky mud)... Heard good reviews on everything Toyo as well, just pricey.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about the MT ATZ

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
+1 for Toyo MT's. Had them on my last truck and got over 40k miles our of them. I have Dick Cepeck on my current truck and hate them. I was just quoted $1475 for 4 Toyo MT's mounted and balanced. That is for 35's too.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-18-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Check out the Nitto Trail Grapplers, pretty new tire.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
Cocheese. 3rd set in 45K? I have an '08 V8 4 Runner and still have a ways to go on my original tires at 63k miles. Curb weight on the tundra is only about 600 lbs more. Probably going to replace them with BFG All Terrains this fall before the winter snows.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-18-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have tried most of them as we have a fleet of trucks and go through lots of tires. Personally I hate loud tires. the Trail Grapplers were great but a little noisy for my taste. I would go with the Toyo Mt's personally.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-18-2010, 7:30 AM Reply   
I had the Toyo Open Country A/T's and got over 50k on them. Currently running Nitto Terra Grapplers because they were about $100 cheaper and are made by Toyo and have the same tread pattern. So far, so good but I only have about 20k on them.
Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
I'm thinking about the MT ATZ

I have been thinking about the Nitto Grapplers but it seems like everyone has them now that I am looking.

OffTopic
Hunter.....are those MB rims in this pic? I love that combo.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have the BFG AT KOs on my Titan and have almost 40k miles on them now, still plenty of thread left, I think these will give me 70k miles easily. Have never break traction on any launch ramps and towing on the freeway is great. Great snow tires also since these also are rated as winter tires with the snow/winter symbol.

You will notice the weight difference and acceleration will be a little slower with the BFG AT KOs since they are 3-ply (heavier) tires. If mileage is not a big concern, I'd go with the BFG, since it will drop your mileage by at least 1 MPG.

Another option is Michelin AT (cost the same as the BFG AT KO) since it claims to have better gas mileage.

With your Yukon 2500 XL, I'd go with the BFG AT KO - it's a heavy duty tire and would match your vehicle in case you ever use it for the designed purpose of the 2500. If it was a 1500, then other tire options may apply.

Last edited by kvoman; 08-18-2010 at 7:54 AM.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-18-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Anyone tried the Open Country HT Tuff Duty? I know its a less aggressive but 99 times out of 100 I'm on the highway.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-18-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Nitto Trail Grappler
Attached Images

Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       08-18-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have heard nothing but good things about the Toyo's....only downside I have heard is the life of them. Two people I know burned through them pretty quick. I have the BFG All-Terrians.....LOVE them! They do great in every situation I have put them through snow, mud, wet, and dirt. I have almost 50,000 miles on my truck and they still have plenty of tread life on them. I was most impressed this past winter when I was up at Big Bear and we got snowed in to the town up there. Every morning I would have snow up to mid door and would have to dig to open the door....NEVER got stuck and NEVER lost control. They stayed planted. Great tires IMO
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-18-2010, 8:38 AM Reply   
These are worth a look...I have 20k on mine and they are wearing well, are quiet and ride great:

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_ltz

I had discount tire do a price match and got mine for for $156 each for 275/60r20s

Last edited by tdc_worm; 08-18-2010 at 8:39 AM. Reason: .
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-18-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajholt7 View Post
You should also look at Toyo Open Country AT. The best tire I ever put on a truck for mainly on road performance.
I had these on my 2wd lifted Armada and loved them, 325-60-20.

However, I am now back in a 4x4 and looking at Hancooks and Cooper Dynapro! I have had the BFG's and they wear good, no noise, clog only a little in the thick mud we get. I have never had the Generals.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-18-2010, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my Silverado 2500HD for 30k-40k miles now and they have performed flawlessly. Handel great and there is very little road noise. The rears are starting to wear a little more than the fronts but that might have to do with the resent Banks Power kit, a lead foot, and towing the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (mutau052)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-18-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Nitto TG wear pretty fast on lighter SUVs so I bet they don't make it long on that 2500 burb. I would go the the generals if you want an e rating and don't want to pay the hight cost of BFG.

The. BFG is really unfairly become the standard in at's - mostly due to there looks. The nittos will do better of road but have really a soft compound. I have destination at and they do fine on my tahoe.

Read the neg reviews on all of them, most people will say good things about there own tires so look for the bads and then take with a grain of salt.

Sorry for spelling on my phone.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakecumberland View Post
Anyone tried the Open Country HT Tuff Duty? I know its a less aggressive but 99 times out of 100 I'm on the highway.
Look at the Michelin LTX M/S2. I know a couple people that have them on 3/4 tons and they LOVE them. Just not aggressive enough look for me.

Old     (AP)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-18-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
I loved the Grabber AT2's on my Land Rover! I wanna try out the Nitto Trail Grappler next though!
Old    SamIngram            08-18-2010, 9:35 AM Reply   
Just an FYI on buying tires...

If you go to Discount Tire they have price match. Go online to http://www.discounttiredirect.com and price out the same tires that you want to buy. Take the printout and your Discount Tire store will match the online price. In case you didn't know, Discount Tire will negotiate even lower.

If anyone knows a cheaper way to buy tires please let me know!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
I had the Terra Grapplers on my Tahoe. I thought they were great. Awesome snow tires and long wearing. I didn't think they were quite aggressive enough in the looks department, but made up for it in utility.

Right now I've got Dunlop Radial Rover M/T (maxx traction) on my F250. They're awesome tires and look great. I've got about 15k on them right now and am very impressed with how quiet they still are. Plus they've got a commercial snow rating. They're great when the weather turns south.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-18-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
These are worth a look...I have 20k on mine and they are wearing well, are quiet and ride great:

http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...?page=zeon_ltz

I had discount tire do a price match and got mine for for $156 each for 275/60r20s
I'm running these right now too and like them.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-18-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Toyo Open Country A/T - love em
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-18-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
I'm running these right now too and like them.
I wish they made the Cooper Zeons for 22" wheels. I currently use 285/50/22 Nitto TG but the mileage is not that good compared to 75,000+ miles I got on the factory Michelins but that was on stock wheels
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       08-18-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
They're all terrible off road. BFG AT are decent street tires and wear well. My buddy has Terra Grapplers on his truck (35"x12.5") and likes them for on the road. Avoid General, I've cut sidewalls in several, they're thin and weak. personally given the choice of those street tires for a truck I'd probably go with the BFG Mall Terrains simply because I know they handle well on the road, towing, and last a good amount of miles.
Old     (jacobs0222i)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=285

I just purchased these, Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10.

just so you know i got them off of ebay from discounttiredirect and they were 5%off right now.
Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-19-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
I have the BFG AT's on my 2500 burb and so far so good. Deffinately ride nice and after putting 2K miles on them this summer in 4 days, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I guess they do have one negative. When making sharp turns on pavement, the edges f the tread do get a little torn up. I thought it was and alignment thing, but they said no. I was told by discount that the tread on the BFG's are a little on the soft side, that kind of ballances out the 3 ply side wall to give a good ride. I will say that I have always read great things about Cooper tires, and they are always competatively priced. Discount tire also has an ebay store that is even cheaper than discount tire direct and they offer free shipping.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-19-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
i have the cooper discoverer stt and so far so good
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-19-2010, 4:27 PM Reply   
Super Swamper Boggers all the way! Super quiet, great ride..... Ha ha ha!

Take a peek at Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-19-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
I would stay away from the Silent Armors. I know of three people that have had bad luck with them, my father is one. He was happy for about the first 4000 miles, then started having a vibration. He rebalanced, it was better, but not gone. A few miles later it was back and was worse. Another balance and once again, it was better, but not gone. He went through this every 4-6k miles and got fed up and bought another set of tires with 20k on the Goodyears.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-19-2010, 11:01 PM Reply   
I have a dodge ram 1500 and when the stock POS tires went bad I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueller Revo AT's. What a great tire. Very quiet, super smooth, durable, handled great, improved my MPG and got excellent traction on street with good performance in the dirt as well. The only downside was they only lasted about 30k miles. I now have about 10k on my BFG all terrains. Horrible POS tire on the street. They ride so bad compared the bridgestone. I should note that I put the more rigid load range E tires on my half ton. I only did the BFG's for tire wear. Everyone claims excellent life and I didnt want to spend another 1300 dollars in 30k miles. So far the BFG's are wearing great at 10k. They get awfull traction on the street compared to my bridgestones. They do okay off road but not that much better / if any better than the bridgestones. If I were to buy another set of tires, I would buy the Bridgestones again. They may wear quicker but the fuel economy helps offset the cost of replacement and they are just a way superior tires in every category. I should also note the BFG's do look great but they also pick up rocks int eh tread all the time. It really gets annoying.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
I just put Cooper Discoverers & powdercoated 20s on the Av. Hoping they will survive winters around here.
So far their quiet & do great pulling the boat out of the lake on a soft sandy beach. The truck sees snow in the winters, mud & snow on a trailhead or a slick boat ramp but rarely off road. Time will tell how they do.
I've also had great luck with the BFGs. And heard numerous people complain about terribly mileage from the NIttos.
Attached Images