Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-11-2010, 10:22 PM Reply   
I have what I believe to be an electrical or battery problem happening. I am running 2 optima blue tops. One is older and won't hold a charge, so I usually start on the same battery then switch to all. Lately right after I turn the motor off, its like the good battery has gone completely dead. No turning over, nothing. I usually just wait a couple of minutes and after some frusteration it seems to come back with enough volts to start. Any ideas what may be going on? I am totally stumped.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-11-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
I'm no electrician or battery expert, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but won't that bad battery drain that good battery faster? Maybe instead of switching to "all" you should just experiment with the good battery and keep it on that switch. Start it on the good battery and keep it there while you're out. Once you've shut it down, see if you can start it right off the bat or still have to wait a few minutes. Also, running your switch on "all" will put more strain on your alternator, probably even more so if you've got a battery that doesn't charge. I'm sure others will chime in who have way more knowledge then me.

Moon

Last edited by moon; 08-11-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2010, 4:12 AM Reply   
have you tried pulling the batteries out and haveing this tested?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-12-2010, 4:18 AM Reply   
x 2 Get them tested.

Try and take them to a Sears Auto or somewhere where they can load test them. You want to see how the battery is responding under this condidtion.

That is the only well to tell if you need a new battery.
Old     (nautique830)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-12-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
If you have 2 batteries and switch them in parallel with each other the voltage between the two will equal out. So you don’t want to be paralleling a 10V and 12V battery…especially if one of them is not holding a charge (probably a bad cell). The good battery should in a sence recharge itself after sitting, which allows you to start the motor. Just run on the one battery and don’t switch to ALL until you get the bad one replaced.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-12-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
you have an old battery that won't hold a charge and you are stumped ?
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-12-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
I am stumped as to why that would make my other battery act the way it is since im not starting on the weak battery. Thanks for the helpful responses. Gonna buy a new battery tonight.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
Ryan, when you have batteries in parallel (switched to all), they will only charge to the battery of the lowest voltage. So, if you have a bad battery that, for example, is only putting out 10v, that's all you're gonna be able to charge the batteries to.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-12-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Ryan, when you have batteries in parallel (switched to all), they will only charge to the battery of the lowest voltage. So, if you have a bad battery that, for example, is only putting out 10v, that's all you're gonna be able to charge the batteries to.
Add to that that the bad battery and good battery will try to equalize and you can see where the problems can come from.

As suggested just run the good battery and see if your problem goes away. If it does, you have eliminated the problem. If it doesn't, keep looking.

You could also find that your good battery has a shorter life since the bad battery is keeping it from getting a full charge.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
The bad battery is robbing the good battery, simple as that.

Take them both out and have them checked. If the good battery is still 100% then you can get away with changing out just the one. However, if it has been compromised even a little you should change them both. This is if you intend to run them in parallel.
Old     (rektek)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-12-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
replace the bad optima, or replace both at the same time.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-12-2010, 9:52 PM Reply   
Replaced the bad battery and the problem seems to have gone away. I didn't have time to get it tested etc as I am going on a trip tomorrow with the boat. Thanks for the help everyone