Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-13-2016, 11:23 PM Reply   
Finally upgraded my old faded cracking gas cans this year before they started leaking. I had already trashed two that were leaking last year. The new cans have convenient pour handles too. I like the squatty cans that don't tip if I put them in the back of my truck. Anybody who had bought a new gas can in recent years knows how useless the spill proof spouts are, they are anything but spill proof. I found vents on Amazon and I used the flex spouts from the old cans. Now I have some nice new cans.

Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-14-2016, 5:23 AM Reply   
Nice cans,

Can you provide the model and size (volume).

Thanks
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2016, 7:42 AM Reply   
You still use your spouts? Nobody has taught you the hose trick?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-14-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
You still use your spouts? Nobody has taught you the hose trick?
What's the hose trick?
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-14-2016, 9:17 AM Reply   
Hose trick FTW...empties the can faster than the gas pump can fill it...probably about 20 seconds.

Find out whats the biggest poly hose you can fit in the gas fill port...probably about 1".
Get about a 3ft section of that hose, stick one end in fill port on boat, put the other end in the can.
I am sure there are other ways to do this part, but I put my hand around the hose at the opening of the can to form a seal and then squeeze the can between my leg and other hand. It will push gas up into the hose. Once it does, remove hand from hose and lift the can, which starts a siphon. Hold the can up, tilt it as it empties, and position the hose to get all the gas from the corner of the can. If you do this right, you can empty 5 gallons in 20 seconds without spilling a drop or getting any gas on your hands.
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-14-2016, 9:21 AM Reply   
Nice trick,

How do you manage to avoid filling up your boat gas tank and thus spill gas when full?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-14-2016, 11:48 AM Reply   
I still go with these. the hoses make it so much easier. no leaks. Easy to fill. If I take the hose off and put in the plug, they just fit under the hard tonneau cover of our truck. a ratchet strap from the rear tiedown cleats in the truck bed through the handles keeps them upright.

Most people have the VP racing ones...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-14-2016, 10:38 PM Reply   
I use jiggler most of the time but I like the old spouts/vents as backup too. The brass and glass jigglers are best, the plastic ones don't work well.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2016, 8:32 AM Reply   
With the hose trick - I do exactly what he said - I put it on my engine cover (no lifting while you are pouring). than I cover the opening between the hose and the can and blow which pressurizes the can and shoot the gas into the gas tank. Generally speaking when I get close to the top I turn ion the fuel gauge and make sure its close and most of the time I can hear when it gets close to full. I never spill a drop and it takes minutes for 25 gallons of fuel.
Old     (xxrb2010)      Join Date: Jan 2014       07-15-2016, 8:38 AM Reply   
Nice

Will definitively try
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-15-2016, 11:07 AM Reply   
Once you go HOSE, you never go back.
Old     (Killerbren)      Join Date: May 2015       07-17-2016, 7:11 PM Reply   
https://youtu.be/zY9bs7dUTvc
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2016, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb2010 View Post
Nice trick,

How do you manage to avoid filling up your boat gas tank and thus spill gas when full?
Not a problem for me...as I only do 10 gallons at a time. That is generally enough to get me through the weekend. I just throw the cans in my truck before work and stop on the way home whenever I need more.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-18-2016, 11:55 AM Reply   
I'm using these

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2016, 8:45 AM Reply   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PC-6FT-3-5G...8AAOSwKrhVcIdc

Best thing ever made!!!!! 3-1/2 gallons per minute.

Put the metal part in the gas can an the tube in the boat tank and shake the metal end a few times and walk away. You'll hear it quit dinging when its done.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-19-2016, 10:57 AM Reply   
I try to take care of you guys, but you gotta read the articles to share in my genius! Buffalow's onto the fastest method, but grab yourself a Turbo Siphon to make it even faster, easier and cleaner. Click here to see our review.

Name:  TurboSiphon.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  83.2 KB
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-19-2016, 6:10 PM Reply   
When i was on the chico state wakeboard team we would use these dump cans with an 8ft hose and siphon it through the side tube. With a 1inch hose it was quick! but we usually used a 1/2inch because it would seal better.

They say 11gal but they can be filled to 13gallon.

http://hunsakerusa.com/i-19894162-hu...our-spout.html
Attached Images

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-19-2016, 9:25 PM Reply   
^^^ I had one of those and it was nice, but it split down the side eventually. I still have an 8-gallon version and it's really the best if you have to pour your gas in. They don't tip over in your truck and they have a huge hose, so they fill quick. Too bad they're so expensive.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2016, 5:50 AM Reply   
^^^Dave did you ever decide on a truck????
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-20-2016, 10:31 AM Reply   
No. I kind of suspended the search until summer's over and I'm less busy. Plus, I'll hopefully have a new boat and I can color match by then!
Old     (Chris5084)      Join Date: Jun 2016       07-21-2016, 7:54 AM Reply   
who makes the non vp ones?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I still go with these. the hoses make it so much easier. no leaks. Easy to fill. If I take the hose off and put in the plug, they just fit under the hard tonneau cover of our truck. a ratchet strap from the rear tiedown cleats in the truck bed through the handles keeps them upright.

Most people have the VP racing ones...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2016, 5:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
^^^ I had one of those and it was nice, but it split down the side eventually. I still have an 8-gallon version and it's really the best if you have to pour your gas in. They don't tip over in your truck and they have a huge hose, so they fill quick. Too bad they're so expensive.
I have 4 Hunsakers as well and had one split and leak. Fortunately is was near the top and a very slow. Bad news none the less.

I do love the jugs; easy to handle, dump quickly, clear so you can see the level, don't fall over in the truck. Mine hold just over 6 gallons with is a good size for carrying.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-09-2016, 9:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5084 View Post
who makes the non vp ones?
I don't remember where I got the non-vp one that I have.

However, to find the pic I used I found it on a "farm supply" type site, so my guess would be some place that sells farm equipment.