Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (gator808)      Join Date: Jun 2014       07-12-2016, 4:57 PM Reply   
how many of you guys are using this out there? Those who are using it, is there an easy way to remove it from your feet? I love how sticky it is but it can cause a mess in the boat.....
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-12-2016, 9:01 PM Reply   
Peanut butter or vegetable oil will take it off.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-12-2016, 11:17 PM Reply   
Are there any pros that use wax instead of traction pads?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-13-2016, 4:52 AM Reply   
Yep lot's of them but normally they use traction in the rear and wax up front
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-13-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
Most competitive riders use wax in some form. Often straight wax up front. You start with a base coat, then top coat for the temperature you are riding in. If you want a small very thin layer of a stickier formulation. Sticky Icky, Punt, Dream Cream are the more popular types. There are pluses in grip, minuses in being able to move your foot an toes easily, and minuses in your hands, feet, socks, clothes will have that sticky feeling. Lots of household product will clean it up or you can use wax remover.

Riders only using traction more often than not wax their traction. This makes it more grippy, but will deteriorate your traction in time.

Sticky waxes are not real popular in the surfing world, only a small segment uses them, as you can imagine paddling with it would suck. Like most thing, it is pretty divide with advocates and people truly against it.

Nick
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2016, 6:23 AM Reply   
I use punt wax and love it. We keep a rag/towel in the back of the boat specific for cleaning off. The best thing I have found to remove the wax is to get a CostCo size bottle of cooking spray. Coat the feet, scrub with water from the lake, the wipe clean with the towel. The cooking spray is better for the boat interior compared to traditional wax removers (and it always smells like your about to cook breakfast...).
Old     (DuckHuntin1)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-30-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
I've been using Mrs. Palmers surf wax for over 20 years, IMO best bumps and best smell. I stay away from base coat (all brands) and just rub down in a small circular motion with cold, warm or tropical wax depending on the season. To remove wax I would the hot south Texas sun or a hair dryer and scrape it off with a wax comb (provided in a good pair of board shorts) then apply the new wax. When I retiring a board, after the scrape I like to use a little acetone and rub for total wax removal.

Now lets bring boats to the surf scene.... I've retired my wax because it's very messy around my boat and others boats. Out of self laziness and respect to others I went with VersaTraction and I'm 100% satisfied with this wax alternative.

https://versaworld.com/index.php/boa...-traction.html

On my next boat I might just try something like this....

Wax for beach, Traction for boats.

Keep it clean and good luck.