Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2016, 6:50 PM Reply   
It has happened with 2 different head units as well as 2 different amps that are pushing the tower speakers. When I turn the volume up loud (speakers are not distorting) the head unit powers off and restarts. 2 new batteries and it has been rewired by dealer and another stereo shop. It has always done this since day one. The way it is set up is the head unit pushes 6 wetsound 6.5" in the interior, an amp pushes the 4 wetsound 6.5 on the tower, and separate amp pushes the 12" kicker comp. It did it before the sub was added years ago. Is it possible the 6 interior speakers draw too much from the head unit, shutting it down, and I need to have an amp added to it? It will even do this in the winter time when I first crank the stereo up so I'm ruling out an amp overheating. Trying to save myself from having it dropped off at the shop again.

Thanks!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2016, 7:29 PM Reply   
No way the head unit can push 6 wet sounds 6.5's. My head unit wouldn't push 4 kenwoods without cutting out.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-05-2016, 7:31 PM Reply   
Try unplugging the interior speakers from the head unit and see if if cuts out now.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
I'll try that and see if it solves the issue. I wonder why the factory had it set up like that and never suggested it be changed. It originally had Kenwoods and wouldn't push those either.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-05-2016, 8:19 PM Reply   
Are the two pair of in-boats wired in series like they should be wired in parallel? Six speakers with 2 pair wired in series would actually be less of a load then four 4 ohm speakers. Brand and size makes no difference in load, head units internal amp only knows impedance. # pair can be safely wired and run on a simpl ehead unit, just wont get the most out of them.

Could be low voltage to head unit circuit on either the ground or B+ side.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-05-2016, 8:49 PM Reply   
I will have to check it out when I get some time to pull them this next week. Definitely going to unplug them first to see if there is a power supply problem. I appreciate the suggestion guys.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-06-2016, 5:06 AM Reply   
Most any HU will fall on its face trying to drive a 2-ohm load (two speakers in parallel per any channel).
You really have no choice but to wire the two cockpit coaxials per side in series.
This should get you by until you add an external amplifier for the in-boat coaxials....which is highly recommended.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-06-2016, 7:16 AM Reply   
can you even hear the in boats over the tower? weird setup for sure. add an amp and call it a day
Old     (jibsta210)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-06-2016, 8:56 AM Reply   
there is no point in owning such expensive speakers without an amp to power them
Old     (rasorjb)      Join Date: Nov 2011       07-06-2016, 9:38 AM Reply   
I agree that your deck probably isn't stable at 2Ohms. It isn't worth having those speakers without a decent amp/source to run them from.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-06-2016, 10:28 AM Reply   
I had a similar problem on my old boat. the head unit was tapped into the dash wiring and it was a hot mess. getting a clean power and ground for the head unit made the problem go away.

That said, I agree your 6 cabins should be on an Amp and not deck power.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2016, 10:53 AM Reply   
Just saw you have a supra 21V. They are know to be wired wrong from the factory. My 24V had the same problem as you, trust me just put them on there own amp.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-06-2016, 2:54 PM Reply   
The XS-650's are actually 3.6 to 3.7 ohm on my multimeters. If they're wired in parallel on that head unit, then it's seeing less than 2 ohms.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-06-2016, 10:24 PM Reply   
It just hit me this week that there was no amp pushing the 6 interior speakers. If the dealer would have told me I needed an amp I would have had them add it to the bill. They worked on it multiple times with no resolution. I have an amp at home so hopefully can get it set up here soon. Thanks!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-07-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Most boat dealers don't know, or don't have any business doing stereos. Just the same as some installers shouldn't be mechanics.

You'd be amazed at some of the stuff that comes out of these factories. They build great boats, mostly, but they just don't know much about stereos. That's part of the reason companies like Wet Sounds have planned packages and amplifiers with DSP and no external controls.