Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-17-2018, 7:09 AM Reply   
I got a great deal on a 2018 HL Riot Nova, but my buddy is a Ronix guy and wants the RXT. To me, the RXT looks like a Riot clone minus some channeling and less carbon fiber (vs the nova). While I couldn't justify an extra $350 on something that looked like a knock-off (sorry Ronix lovers ), he's been a forever Ronix guy and is thinking of ordering the RXT.

Just curious if anyone has had a chance to ride the RXT yet? And, on the remote chance someone has ridden both boards, how do the compare?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-18-2018, 6:16 AM Reply   
You won't find many that have ridden an RXT yet. Most dealers are just now getting the bulk of their Ronix orders.

That said, The RXT and Nova are both super high tech boards, but the rides are very different. A better comparison would be the ONE Timebomb and the Riot Nova. The One and Riot are both full bodied templates and they both have late/agressive rocker lines. They both have a "carbon fiber" feel off of the wake (super stiff). The RXT has a continuous, evenly distributed rocker.

The 2018 Happy Hour and the 2019 RXT share a lot of values. I currently ride the Happy Hour. It is a relaxed playful shape that is super fast and doesn't drop a lot of speed if you come off edge a little. I like that it gives me the option to edge super mellow and push off hard for on-axis BS Spins, but also has the guts that if I want to take a short approach on a mobe and really drive the edge through the wake, I don't get any slippage. On the One and the Riot, you really have to commit to hitting the wake hard every time--the late rocker pays off dividends in that scenario, but my style has a more variable edge from trick to trick.
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-18-2018, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the great feedback! I don't imagine there are too many RXT's out yet but have been seeing more on social media lately. I'm sure they'll be a big seller this season.

I would have never guessed the two boards would be so different based on the specs; goes to show you can't judge a board by it's appearance. From your description, they almost sounds like polar opposites.

I've always been a three stage guy and I am currently on the LF Remedy so I'm sure I'll enjoy the Riot. Hopefully it isn't too similar to the Timebomb though; I had a 2012 and that thing was fickle and landed like a ton of bricks... although the new shapes look much different.

The RXT would fit my buddies style; he's super w2w technical and he's always ridden Chad's shapes. The RXT sounds right up his alley. I think he's heading down to theboardingschool.com next month so he'll get a chance to try it.

Thanks again!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-18-2018, 9:11 AM Reply   
The 2015 redesign of the one was a vast improvement over the 2012, IMO, and the 2018 redesign is even easier to ride. The 2012 was a weird shape. Super round rails paired with a locked in feel.

If you can, I'd take the riot and the one out side by side.

I have handled an RXT and even compared to the Timebomb and Nova, it is a feather. Hopefully, I will get to test one out soon.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-19-2018, 6:19 AM Reply   
$499 for boots
$799 board

Those are at a discount?
Old     (blazer)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-19-2018, 12:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
$499 for boots
$799 board

Those are at a discount?
No no no.. I picked up a Riot Nova, Systems and Mareks for $750 total
Old     (Paulvette01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-21-2018, 4:35 AM Reply   
I have the 2019 RXT and bindings and have been riding the various generations of Timebomb up to 2018, I've only taken a couple of sets before winterizing the boat but have to say WOW, although undoubtedly some hype its definitely not all hype. The board is incredibly light, noticeably not quite as fast glide speed as the one but it definitely goes BIG, no extra effort on my part either it just wants to go up and the pop is consistent and predictable - have to say initial impressions are 'I'm impressed' and thankfully no regrets...
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       12-21-2018, 8:59 AM Reply   
^^^Completely agree. Only got a chance to ride it once but I was very impressed with the RXT. I was on a Parks Camber before but the biggest difference was I felt the RXT was going bigger with less effort than my Parks board. It's pricey no doubt but worth it.

*disclaimer: this was written by a Ronix homer
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-25-2018, 8:39 AM Reply   
$800? Gtfo
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       12-31-2018, 3:30 PM Reply   
I looked at the RXT as well but at over double the quid for a Murray, I went that way instead. I doubt the board is going to take me from a crappy rider to awesome.
Old     (MTH19)      Join Date: Oct 2018       02-14-2019, 4:03 PM Reply   
I ride best on continuous rockers, so I have a Riot Nova now. And I've ridden the RXT a couple of times. The RXT has much better top water speed, or glide speed, or whatever you want to call it. The RXT seemed to pop a little harder than the Riot. It was pretty playful too. Easy to break the fins free. The Riot is playful too. The RXT seems to ollie higher, either in the flats or re-entry. The RXT sits higher on the water than the Riot. The Speedwalls really do work. The RXT is also really light. If you like light boards, this one is the lightest. Overall, the RXT hasn't disappointed anyone that I've seen ride it. IT's so fast and easy to control and it does pop really well. I don't go to the flats often so I can't comment too much on how soft it lands. It lands with a tons of speed though