Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-18-2018, 5:58 AM Reply   
I came across this boat by accident. I was up early and reading my local craigslist boat listings and up pops this Sea Ray. Now I have heard all about the reverse facing stern drives but this one is a 24' V drive with a bunch of cool options. What do you think Could this boat actually be a player ?
https://www.searay.com/page.aspx/pag...SLX-W-230.aspx.
https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/...749255892.html
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       11-19-2018, 3:46 AM Reply   
I don’t know anything about this boat but that swim platform is nice.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-19-2018, 7:11 AM Reply   
Its nice because its a straight up ripoff from Cobalt. They got sued, lost and continue to steal it. WTH?

https://boatingindustry.com/news/201...-sea-ray-case/
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-19-2018, 8:30 AM Reply   
The short answer is no, this boat never really made it off the ground. As I recall, market share numbers from last year indicated that only two or three of these were registered in the entire country.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       11-19-2018, 1:21 PM Reply   
Interesting. The Cobalt I/O "surf boats" represent 50% of their sales at this point.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-19-2018, 7:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
Interesting. The Cobalt I/O "surf boats" represent 50% of their sales at this point.

Where does this data come from? My particular lake has a super successful Cobalt shop and I would guess they sell 10% surf models at this point. Hardly any.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       11-21-2018, 8:31 AM Reply   
I found the info about cobalt surf boat sales info in Boating Industry magazine. The article is 2 years old at this point. The CEO of Cobalt was quoted talking about their surf boats. Quote: "It’s not a one-trick pony,” said Cobalt CEO Paxson St. Clair. “We’ve had tremendous feedback from our dealers on the success they’ve had with our new Surf Series product with the Volvo Penta Forward Drives. Now, the surf boats represent about one-third of our production, and we’re forecasting it to be almost half of our production as we move forward.”

Here is the link to the online article: https://boatingindustry.com/top-stor...st-five-years/

BTW, Cobalt is owned my Malibu in case anyone did not know this. Malibu acquired Cobalt about 1.5 years ago.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-21-2018, 9:05 AM Reply   
This has been out for awhile now and don't think it ever got any traction. I remember seeing it at the Seattle boat show probably 3 years ago? and checked it out for awhile. Definitely was not in the same league. They had a pro surfer their as a brand ambassador... Can't remember who it was now.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       11-21-2018, 7:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
I found the info about cobalt surf boat sales info in Boating Industry magazine. The article is 2 years old at this point. The CEO of Cobalt was quoted talking about their surf boats. Quote: "It’s not a one-trick pony,” said Cobalt CEO Paxson St. Clair. “We’ve had tremendous feedback from our dealers on the success they’ve had with our new Surf Series product with the Volvo Penta Forward Drives. Now, the surf boats represent about one-third of our production, and we’re forecasting it to be almost half of our production as we move forward.”

Here is the link to the online article: https://boatingindustry.com/top-stor...st-five-years/

BTW, Cobalt is owned my Malibu in case anyone did not know this. Malibu acquired Cobalt about 1.5 years ago.

1/3 of production in 2016 doesn’t come close to meaning 1/2 of current sales BTW. That was a tongue in cheek production forecast, and I would be shocked if true. They seem to sell very few Cobalt surf boats. For surfing, they suck in a relative sense. Granted our dealer is an n of 1, but it’s a top 5 dealer nonetheless. They sell a few a year, and sell a buttload of huge bowriders, some of which are $300k 302s. That would skew sales toward bowriders quite a bit. For real surfers, they sell Skier’s Choice AND Nautique. It’s a big shop.

The VDrive market has responded nicely with “everyday” boat amenities that takes the wind out of the forward drive story. They aren’t one trick ponies, either. They’re controllable, big, deep, and comfortable. And getting moreso each year.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-22-2018, 5:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
For real surfers, they sell Skier’s Choice AND Nautique.
Lol I thought "real surfers" surfed in the ocean.