Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-18-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
I am 90% ready to take a job in nc/sc. i am a sales rep for nc and sc, so i want to live somewhere around charlotte. everyone says lake wylie would be cool. there is the village at lake wylie, i just want an apartment for about a year until i find exactly where we want to live.

Its just 2 of us. my girl is 30 and i am 37, so i am looking for something really cool, safe, clean and not college party time. I am willing to check out any area close to the center of both states. I really want to live close to a lake. PLEASE HELP. I am thinking about driving down this weekend and start looking. thanks
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-18-2012, 3:03 PM Reply   
I really enjoy Lake Norman when I visit NC for work, not sure about the scene on weekends though...
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-18-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
i have heard both good and bad about norman, but the cost of living in sc is suppose to be much better than nc. so i have been trying to stay in sc then buy a house there. maybe i will start to check it out. my buddy lives on wateree and says to stay south instead of nc.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-18-2012, 8:05 PM Reply   
Doug, my family was in a situation very similar to yours about five years back. We lived at the Village at Lake Wylie for about six months while our house was being built and overall it was nice. Definitely not college party atmosphere, mainly families and people who are new to the area. Its about five minutes max away from the nearest boat launch. Lake Wylie is great, lots of good coves to ride in and a fair amount of wakeboarders. It gets a bit crowded on the afternoons on the weekends but other than that it stays pretty calm and you can almost always find a cove that is shielded from the wind on a windy day. It's about 25-30 minutes away from the city. Hope this helps!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-19-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
thanks, there is a brand new villa just built this year in the same area. I have been looking at homes as well. I have also been told the school district is great in that area. I want to buy or build, depending on cost and location. I have been looking at houses ranging form 300 to 400k . I feel stupid buying anything more, we dont use what we have now.lol Is the village safe, no theft? I was told the lake is nice, alot calmer that norman or some of the others. I think we are heading down that way this weekend to check them out. thanks for the help
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-24-2012, 2:55 PM Reply   
Ok, i took the job, we love tega cay, but are going to rent (i hate renting) for a year and come up with a plan to buy within the area. I got to spend the evening on lake wateree, my friend has 2 houses side by side on the lake, really quiet. I liked wylie, close to everything, looks like the people are really friendly. so now we have to meet some new people. we are going to stay at village of lake wylie. not the nicest, but a place to park the boat, close to the lake and the girl is ok with it
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Doug- check out Mt. Island Lake. About 15 minutes from downtown. Clean lake with few homes, but it's great to ride on. The northern section has endless glass on the weekends. Lake Norman probably has the best bang for your buck. There are a handful of restaurants and bars on the water with marinas scattered throughout. Exit 25 on 77 to Exit 36 has plenty of places to live, shop, dine, etc. Schools in that area are pretty good as well. The price per sq/ft will be more on Norman, but I have been going to Norman for close to 20 years and my parents live on the North side in Denver. But it's all preference so good luck in your home search!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-27-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
thanks for the info, we plan on house hunting asap. with rates so low, we just want to sell our house here, and just have enough time to realy find an area we love. we dont have children, so we dont need a large home, just a nice home on the water. I will check out mt lake, my friends said its great there too. i am excited to get down there and start looking. I am going to store my boat here over winter, then pick it up in march. I will be so busy with the new job, i dont want another thing to deal with, i cant believe people keep there boats in the water all year long. some of the marina's where telling us that there are some decent days in dec and jan, not warm but in the upper 50's low 60's and some still go out on the lake for the day
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-27-2012, 10:07 AM Reply   
Glad to hear you like the area Doug. It's true that there are usually some nice days in the winter. My crew and I are usually out on Wylie on any given Saturday over the winter. Some years there are months that we have to winterize for about a month, but normally we keep temperature activated heaters in the engine compartments and we can ride year round. Boats don't sit in the water all year though (lifts or trailers)
Old     (ncsuuh)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-27-2012, 10:42 AM Reply   
Within a 30 minute drive of downtown Charlotte there are 4 lakes you can ride on. So it's a great area to ride in. Good luck and enjoy!