Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
looking for some info, i want a new skim this year, i am 6'4 230ish. I have an oogle, never ride it, i have a custom hazen 4'11, swallow, and a bunch of junk. I am thinking about the trident carbon, maybe even a squirt, or a xx, drew carbon. I want to start learining shuvits, as well as have a goof off board for the boat. 2012 enzo 244 so no wake issues. thanks
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
Doug the Drew carbon is a great board I have one and enjoy it.I have heard good things about the trident as well.The next skim I get will be a soulcraft to round out my line up.There is just something about having a one off board that turns my crank plus the customer service is top notch.........................................H
Attached Images

Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-29-2012, 1:46 PM Reply   
Never hear much about the soulcraft skim board. I sure would like to know what people think about it.

Last edited by Woody; 01-29-2012 at 1:49 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-29-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
I am your size and ride the Phase 5 boards. I have a couple other brands, but settled on the Phase 5 for skim board style surfboards The bonus is that the fit in the wakeboard racks on the tower - a lot easier on the boards, the boat, and the shins.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-29-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Woody I have not heard much either but am dyeing to try one.I hope Jeff brings one to the west cost open,After I get my diamond fang tail built which should start sometime this week ill be on the save for one...........................H
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-29-2012, 11:28 PM Reply   
The new 58" Phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon or Diamond would be a really good skim for your size. The Trident would work also, but if you are trying shuvs, the 2 inches less will help a bit in my opinion.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-30-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
On a side note: If you haven't already, get a head start on shuvs by picking up an Indo Board or skateboard.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-30-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
I got a 09 IS black pearl for a buck fifty! this is going to be my skim board, and prob have jeff at Soulcraft build me my surf style!!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-30-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Everyone one needs both a skim and a surf style! IMO
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-30-2012, 10:52 AM Reply   
I would look at Phase 5's top end boards, Inland and Calibrated. The Phase 5 and Inlands are easy to obtain, the Calibrated a bit more difficult. There is a reason why virtually all the top companies use carbon fiber and/or wood veneer skins and high density foam cores often cross linked pvc foam cores (usually Divinycell or another similar material). There are a few minor exceptions, for instance the new LF tommy board is conventional polyurethane foam core with a heavy clear polyester resin/fiberglass skin. It is all about making the stiffest/most rigid board with the least amount of weight. Skim boards are all basically sub 1" thick, typically in the range of 5/8-7/8". Conventional board building materials in this range of thickness of very flexible and cannot hold up to the abuse.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       01-30-2012, 10:54 AM Reply   
Jeff has 2 skim board models that we take out on his boat and mine. One is the Nugget and the other is the Soul Skimmer. We named the Soul Skimmer at The Camp Far West event last May. I the honor of the first test ride and was thrilled to try out a new board design. I love both boards but the Soul Skimmer is my favorite. Like all Jeff's boards they are light weight and lively. I don't have a lot of tricks down but at my age, I am just happy to be out there shredding behind a boat on a fun board. When I get home tonight I can post pics from last May of the Soul Skimmer. Maybe Jeff has some pics of the Nugget.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-30-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
thanks for all the info. I use to ride the oogle but have really spent most the time on surf style boards.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-30-2012, 1:32 PM Reply   
chaos is on it. When I ride conventional construction (foam, center string, glass) skim style boards (like LF Custom or Soulcraft Nugget) they feel too floaty and not as responsive. I like a board that lets me feel the water better and is snappy. So I think a thin stiff board is the way to go for skimboards.
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-30-2012, 2:45 PM Reply   
I am about your same size and rode a XXL Drew Carbon and a Triple X Composite Pro back to back. I preferred the Triple X board myself, and it is a lot cheaper to boot.