Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
I'm in the process of buying a new boat this week and have narrowed my choices down to 2. 2014 MC X-30 and 2014 CC SAN G23. I've pretty much made up my mind which one my wife and I are going to get, but I'm interested in getting some feedback on some issues I've had with the MC dealer. They have been EXTREMELY pushy, using tactics like 'someone just took the boat you're interested in on a test drive', sending me a pic via text with the boat hooked up behind a truck and saying 'sales guy getting ready to take boat on test drive with customer', telling me they were down to their last X-30 when in fact they had at least 2 left, things like that. None of that stuff at all with the Nautique dealer. I guess you guys can kinda guess which one is my first choice!

The absolute kicker for me was this: they have had this particular X-30 in their inventory for a while and when I was looking at it, asked how many hours were on it. The salesperson said, 'well, we haven't used it as a demo or anything, just for test drives. It only has about 20 hours on it'. WHAT? I was in a little shock. Yes, I realize it has never been titled so it is by definition a 'new' boat, but to me a boat with 20 hours is used. Absolutely. No questions. Then, the salesperson continues to tell me how MC extensively tests all their boats coming off the assembly line and EVERY MC has AT LEAST 8 HOURS on it when it arrives at the dealer. I just said 'really' because I just couldn't believe what I was hearing and was in shock. I know they test their boats, but for 8 hours? I don't think so. Have you guys ever heard that about MC or any other manufacturer? I sure haven't and I've been a boat owner for 14+ years, have bought several new boats, and none of the new ones had more than 1 or 2 hours at the most. Definitely not 8. I would love to hear your thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc. Thanks for your feedback!
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
I am a Nautique guy that happens to own an MC, so here is about as unbiased of an opinion as you're going to get...

I will not even debate the better boat. Given the choice just based on boats, I know I would go G23, but that is not the big issue here. Either boat will get the job done for the vast majority of riders in this world. To me, the dealership is making this choice easy. Remember, this is the dealer you will most likely go to for service, warranty work, and most things related to your boat. Do you really want to deal with that place? What Mastercraft dealer is it?

To me, dealerships are a large part of boat ownership. I got extremely lucky with my X1. I bought out of state, and found a local dealer to work with on service, warranty work, and winter storage. They have been amazing on all levels, and I didn't even buy a boat from them. The Nautique dealer almost bought from, however, continues to turn there nose up at me at boat shows, hassle me when I buy wax from them (What boat do you own, why didn't you buy from us, etc), and in general fail to impress. So at the end of the day, if I ever trade that X1 in and still live in this area, guess what I am going to buy? As much as it pains me to say, its going to be a MC. The local dealer makes that decision a no brainer....

My point? If they are acting like d-bags now, just wait until that first warranty repair. And no, MC does not test every boat 8 hours. (I think mine had 7 hours on it, and it was considered a demo technically) I would say if you are dead set on a MC, find another dealer.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-05-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
That MC sales guy seems pretty douchey.....Go buy the other one and make it clear to him that his sales tactics are the reason you bought the other one. Sad thing is those sales tactics work on some people and really piss off others. 8 hours is probably not the norm from the factory either. You should have just jumped into all the other boats and turned the key and seen the hours on those and listen to him stumble..... I know most manufacturers test the boat on the water and I think more like 1-2 hours would be closer to the norm. Not sure how MC does it though, so I could be wrong.
Old     (csherbo)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-05-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
I ordered a new MC this year. Between MC testing and the dealer delivery prep it had about 2.5 hrs on it.

One thing to consider when evaluating the dealer, is that the pushy sales guy, isn't the service department that you have the long term relationship with. Although I fully understand how one affects the other.

Good luck with your purchase, I am pretty sure you will be happy with either boat!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-05-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
20hrs = One tournament. Or in our case, One weekend.

I wouldn't get hung up at all about the Hrs, if it is the boat you want, but I would try to use it to your advantage if possible. It is no reason to kill a deal. = my .02
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-05-2014, 7:05 AM Reply   
I say go spend time with the service guy at each dealership. Either boat is great performer. I prefer the looks of the x30. G series just looks like pot bellied pigs and not inboards.... Just my .02.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-05-2014, 7:10 AM Reply   
I had a similar experience when buying our first boat, the Malibu sales guy treated us the same way. We bought a Nautique and are on our third one now. Each time we bought I went in to the Malibu dealer and just could not believe the way I was treated. As stated above, most boats will do anything the average or even above average social user will need, so I would buy based on dealer experience. It makes boat ownership so much more fun and such a better experience when you don't have to fight a dealer on issues. FYI, we bought a pre-owned boat with less hours than the "new" boat the MC dealer is trying to sell you.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-05-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
Sounds like a no brainer... G23. If all other things were equal, which boat would you buy?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-05-2014, 7:37 AM Reply   
Dgil no way that those hours are test hours! That dealer is using their boats as demo boats which is not uncommon. But 20hrs is getting right up there to me and they better be having a heck of a discount!

Out of curiosity how are the 2 boats configured and what's the price difference between them?
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-05-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
Thank you all so much for the feedback; it really helps to get the opinion and hear experiences of other experienced boaters and boat owners!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2014, 7:57 AM Reply   
This is a no-brainer. The g has a better dealer, more room, more storage, better wakeboard wake, better surf wake.....the list goes on
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-05-2014, 8:05 AM Reply   
My new MC this year had about 2 hours on it when I picked it up.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2014, 8:06 AM Reply   
Well, for me the G23 ist the way to go but if your more into a X-30, then just try to get a way better price with the 20h on the boat.. just tell the sales person that we are living in the time of internet and information. 20h is a demo boat, no question.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2014, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieK27 View Post
I am a Nautique guy that happens to own an MC, so here is about as unbiased of an opinion as you're going to get...

I will not even debate the better boat. Given the choice just based on boats, I know I would go G23, but that is not the big issue here. Either boat will get the job done for the vast majority of riders in this world. To me, the dealership is making this choice easy. Remember, this is the dealer you will most likely go to for service, warranty work, and most things related to your boat. Do you really want to deal with that place? What Mastercraft dealer is it?

To me, dealerships are a large part of boat ownership. I got extremely lucky with my X1. I bought out of state, and found a local dealer to work with on service, warranty work, and winter storage. They have been amazing on all levels, and I didn't even buy a boat from them. The Nautique dealer almost bought from, however, continues to turn there nose up at me at boat shows, hassle me when I buy wax from them (What boat do you own, why didn't you buy from us, etc), and in general fail to impress. So at the end of the day, if I ever trade that X1 in and still live in this area, guess what I am going to buy? As much as it pains me to say, its going to be a MC. The local dealer makes that decision a no brainer....

My point? If they are acting like d-bags now, just wait until that first warranty repair. And no, MC does not test every boat 8 hours. (I think mine had 7 hours on it, and it was considered a demo technically) I would say if you are dead set on a MC, find another dealer.
What Matt said goes double for me. I think the G21 would be the perfect boat for me and I love the way the 210's look, but I bought another MC (X25) just based on the local dealer. I will also be using the same dealer that MattieK is using. Go with whatever dealer makes you feel more comfortable.

Quick story about how awesome Chicago Mastercraft is. Up until I was ready to buy, I only ordered a few small parts from them once. So I had very very little interaction with them.

When I was ready to buy, I called them about their leftover X25. We tried to work a deal, but just couldn't get it done. It was pretty reasonable for a new X25, but I only wanted to pay a used boat price.

I then showed the dealer the other boat I was interested in. They took the time to go over the service history and give me a couple pointers to have the other dealer do and things to look for (really, who does this). Then they told me it sounded like a great deal.

Then, the day after I bought the other boat, they call me from their cell before they even open and said "if you didn't buy that boat, I just had a guy drop one off that you'll love right in your price range." I said "I just wired the other people money yesterday morning." He apologized a few times for coming across the deal late (like he had any control of it) and then said he was looking forward to taking care of the boat I just bought.

Other than the couple of small parts I ordered from them, I haven't given them any money and they have already been great. They probably don't know it yet, but they have a customer for the foreseeable future. I'm actually in the process of selling my car to buy one a little more suited to towing the X25 just so I can bring it to them (they are much further than my current dealer/shop). If I were going to order a new one (and one day I will) they will be the dealer I will buy from.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-05-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
This is a no-brainer. The g has a better dealer, more room, more storage, better wakeboard wake, better surf wake.....the list goes on
I dunno, the surf wave on the x30 looks pretty good to me! Wakeboard wake I'd agree, but this is a hell of a wave.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=62984
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-05-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimme View Post
I dunno, the surf wave on the x30 looks pretty good to me! Wakeboard wake I'd agree, but this is a hell of a wave.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=62984
I agree. The G has a great surf wake, but it is not better than the X30. The wakeboard wake is better, but the X30 has a pretty good wakeboard wake as well. Really similar in shape to the G, but is not as big. Also very easy to keep clean.

If pricing was the same, I would probably go G, but it isn't. There again, I might not, because I hate how it looks, and I hate how uncomfortable the interior is (Seat backs are completely upright, and all corners are 90 degree cuts). However, overall wake performance, storage, and the lack of needing rear bags, is a HUGE plus for the G.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-05-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Sorry but I'd go G all day long if prices aren't to much more and u can handle the difference in boat size. The G is just way way more boat than the x30. Not only did the x30 feel tiny outside it felt tiny inside as well. And not sure I agree on comfort to me the G felt ultra comfortable seat foam is top notch and quality feel is very evident. The walk through and attention to detail everywhere is superb compared to everything else out. And to me the G is a beautiful looking machine both in the water and out!

But please post up the diff in price that your seeing. Don't have to post the price just the difference. If said G is $30k more then that's different I might settle for a x30
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-05-2014, 9:55 AM Reply   
When your out on the local lake and see a master craft, I would ask the owner if he bought from that particular dealer and see how the service department is. I feel the Sales guys are always DBAGS and the service department and main tech are usually down to earth and will make the dealer god or not. I know when I bought my boat, i never talked to the sales guy again, i only dealt with the main tech after that.

If you really want that X-30, don't pay full price of what a 0-1hr boat would cost. I would look up the asking price of used X-30's with similar hours and throw that offer down. Don't forget, boats are dime a dozen, and sounds like your MC sales guy is stressed on making quota.

BTW, a boat with 20hrs can be a positive, it probably already had warranty work done for little things that would cost you days at a time, not on the water.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-05-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Dealer, dealer, dealer or maybe even specific sales guy. The sales guy can goto bat for you with the dealer and get things done.

True story - Russ Allen (from Boat Town in Austin) delivered my new X-30 one fine Saturday morning. I bought with no trailer and we took it over to the lift to make sure it was going to fit and that my lift could take the 4700# boat.
Well, we lift it up and for a few minutes all seems fine. Then SNAP! The pulley breaks and the cable slides down the side of my new boat gouging the hell outta the gel coat. Before I enter full panic mode Russ calms me down and said "I'm taking the boat back to Austin, and I will bring it back to you like new next Saturday."
That's just one example of the awesome service I have had from Russ over the years.
You need to like and trust the guy who sells you the boat IMHO.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-05-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
I couldn't agree more that its the service folks you need to know if you can live with. We have a local stealership that has great sales, but the service can be a real challenge to deal with. Especially when you are already stressed about getting your boat back with out having to sell a kidney to do so! Its not the MC dealership as those guys are great even after i sold my MC and moved to a different brand of the big 3.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-05-2014, 10:39 AM Reply   
No new boat from the factory should have more than 1-2 hours on it.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-05-2014, 1:02 PM Reply   
I had a very simple repair on our X2. My MC dealer volunteered to bring the parts and install them at my storage location. I thought that was cool. I have heard of them bringing parts to the lake on the weekends for customers. Thats awesome.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-05-2014, 1:12 PM Reply   
With everything you said, dealer treatment, and the fact that I think the G series is the best quality all around wakeboat there is right now. I wouldn't even think twice about that choice. Now let's say the Nautique dealer was giving you that treatment, I would get my second choice in boat just to get better service.
It's not like a car where there are tons of independent shops around or you can go to the other dealer across town. Most areas only have one. If you're going to be dealing with them on a fairly regular basis, go with who treats you the best.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-05-2014, 6:37 PM Reply   
You think that tricky angle pic of that pigged out X30 wave looks good?

This is behind my buddies stock G23 with 4 people...
Attached Images

Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-05-2014, 8:25 PM Reply   
^You didn't really help by adding that pic. You would have been better off leaving it out. Wake is dirty, narrow, And way too steep. Dial that thing in, and repost. I know a G is better than that.

A pic straight off the rear tow bar, on a fixed mount, is a tricky angle?? It's no trickier than taking the shot from down inside the walkway on the back of a G.....Jussayin
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       08-05-2014, 8:41 PM Reply   
The G took top honers at the Southern Surfest beating out Supra, Moomba, Axis, Malibu w/surfgate , Centurion and Tige. MC didn't show the owner of the dealer said he didn't want to put hours on his boat. Right now the G is the one to beat I haven't seen any boat do it yet.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-05-2014, 8:44 PM Reply   
Agreed ^^^^ That pic is a mess. When your friend stands up thats a knee high wake at best and all kinds of frothy.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-05-2014, 10:31 PM Reply   
I realize it's not super clean. Conditions were less than ideal that day. I'm just saying with stock ballast and a light crew the G still produces a great wave.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-06-2014, 4:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett33 View Post
I realize it's not super clean. Conditions were less than ideal that day. I'm just saying with stock ballast and a light crew the G still produces a great wave.
It certainly does. But the x30 with gen2 does as well. (And IMO it does it better, and cleaner, and easier) That is comparing both in stock trim, with just a couple lead bags to move around on a day with only a couple people in the boat.

I certainly can acknowledge, that a G has a huge amount of storage left over, to fill with some serious ballast for surfing. If you max out a G, it will outperform the X30 for sure. It will be 2-3k heavier with all that room for huge ballast bags. That being said, with only filling the stock ballast, it is not better than the x30 with just stock ballast.
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 5:22 AM Reply   
Quote:

Matt, thanks for your input and advice. You're right; the dealer makes all the difference and that is making my decision easy. Sounds like you found a great dealer and things worked out for you; that's awesome. I don't want to say the name of the dealer here for everyone to see; didn't deal with anyone else there so it could have just been the one salesperson who was the problem. Anyway, thanks again!
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 6:42 AM Reply   
Hey Guys. Thank you all for the posts. I am enjoying reading each one of them and the stories, opinions, and advice is all very helpful. I wish I could reply to each one of you individually, but I'd be here all day. I'm going to try to answer some questions; sorry if I miss any of them. The G and the x-30 are equipped similarly, but the G has the edge by a few options like the z-5 sport rack, heated driver's seat, and the trailer for the G is a LOT nicer (not a big deal to a lot of people, but we trailer our boat a lot). The G is priced right at 20K more than the x-30 To me, even though the G is more expensive, it is the better deal of the two.

The Nautique salesperson has been great; super nice guy, not pushy at all, none of the sneaky sales tactics, and he's been working his tail off for me. My wife and I went down there yesterday for a test drive. We spent a lot of time on the lake, and the boat is AMAZING. I couldn't believe how well it handled for such a big boat. I've heard people say it handles bad, but I thought just the opposite. Tight turns with very little roll, great through rough water/rollers, and will turn around on a dime at pretty significant speed. Visibility from the helm is great, and to me it actually drove like a much smaller boat. It's a big boat and looks like it wouldn't handle very well, but when I drove it I was very surprised.

The surf and wakeboard wakes look great. Didn't get a chance to surf/board behind it yet, but can't wait to try it. Very clean wakes with little tweaking. If you're in the market for a new wake boat, I recommend taking a G23 out for a test drive.

Salesperson, Owner, and his wife all stayed with my wife and I at the dealership last night until after 10:00 working out a great deal for us after the test drive. We gave them a deposit (we actually offered; they didn't push us to) and told them we would let them know for sure today. All of them were awesome; very nice, not pushy at all, and made us feel at home. After sleeping on it, we talked more about it this morning and everything feels right and has fallen into place nicely. Great dealer, actually the closest boat dealer of any kind to our house, type of boat we were looking for, will be great for our family (3 kids 16, 15, and 13), and even though it's a big purchase we know we are making the right decision and getting the best boat for us. You all helped with that, and I appreciate all your comments. Hopefully we will be picking it up within the next few days. I will try and post a pic.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-06-2014, 7:00 AM Reply   
sweet..... dealer is very important and having them close by is important.... Not to mention, that is a damn nice boat!!! Pics?
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-06-2014, 7:18 AM Reply   
Dgil! That's awesome your family is gonna have a blast!!!!! $20k more is a lot but in the grand scheme it's nothing. What vehicle are you gonna tow with?
What motor are you going with? Is this a 2014?
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
sweet..... dealer is very important and having them close by is important.... Not to mention, that is a damn nice boat!!! Pics?
Yeah, dealer is very important. I will post some pics soon!
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-06-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
Dgil! That's awesome your family is gonna have a blast!!!!! $20k more is a lot but in the grand scheme it's nothing. What vehicle are you gonna tow with?
What motor are you going with? Is this a 2014?
Thanks Ron, I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water with the family. And you're right; 20K is a lot but we decided it was worth it. I have a '15 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax that I tow with. Can't wait to pull the G with it. Boat has the ZR 409 engine; not the biggest but it has plenty of power. Plus it sounds really good . And yes, it is a 2014.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-06-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgil235 View Post
Thanks Ron, I'm looking forward to getting it out on the water with the family. And you're right; 20K is a lot but we decided it was worth it. I have a '15 GMC 2500HD with the Duramax that I tow with. Can't wait to pull the G with it. Boat has the ZR 409 engine; not the biggest but it has plenty of power. Plus it sounds really good . And yes, it is a 2014.

Awesome!!! Enjoy it! Everyone says with the new 17" prop and 2:1 tranny the 409 works perfectly fine! And u for sure got the towing part down!
Old     (dgil235)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-14-2014, 5:38 AM Reply   
Hey Guys. Picked up the new G23 last night from the dealer and I'm like a kid at Christmas! Took it out for some surfing last night and was totally blown away. Amazing boat, amazing surf wake, and drives and handles great. Thank you guys again for all your input; it made our decision a lot easier and we definitely chose the right boat. So glad we went with the G23. The Nautique dealer, Race City Marine in Mooresville, NC, is absolutely top notch. The owner Matt, his wife Lynette, and the sales associate Leif were all wonderful to deal with. I can't say enough about them and how thankful I am to them for everything they've done for us. Looking forward to a long and great relationship with them. If you're in the NC area and are in the market for a boat, put them at the top of your list! I can't wait to get back out on the water. Thank you all again! Will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to do it!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       08-14-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
Congrats! Now post pics!!!