Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-03-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
I have a Wetsounds SW-10FA in a sealed box that is currently powered by 250 watts (4 ohms) from the subwoofer channel of an Alpine MRX-V70 amp. The sub sounds okay, but I feel like it's not being utilized to its fullest potential. Do you guys have a suggestion for a mono amp to better power the SW-10FA? I was thinking of the HT-1 but wanted to reach out to everyone here first. Thanks so much.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-03-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
HT2 would be a better choice, for 575W mono @ 4 ohm.
Old     (gapple12)      Join Date: Nov 2013       12-04-2013, 5:23 AM Reply   
I picked up a ROCKFORD FOSGATE M1200-1D MARINE 1200W RMS MONO AMPLIFIER on eBay brand new for about $230. You could bridge that sub down to 2 ohms and get 900 watts to it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rockford-Fos...item338790b424
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-04-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
Thats an infinite-baffle (free-air) sub, so its not designed to be in a small enclosure. It will perform best in a large cavity with complete front/rear isolation. Whats your enclosures volume? Also, how is the sub tuned? How many in-boats and how are they powered? All these can influence the performance of a sub. IMO, 200-400 watts rms is good power for the 10FA, so im not sure if simply upping the power is going to be the solution for you.

If your sub the current 4 Ohm SVC model, then a 2 chnl amp like the HT-2, bridged in to mono would be an easy way to increase the power. Or a mono with a 4 ohm output in the 400-500 watt rms range. This would give you the option to upgrade to a 12" sub later and run the amp @ 2 ohm for 800-900 rms.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-04-2013, 6:37 AM Reply   
Thanks so much for your help on this guys. Here's what I have:

Alpine CDA 9886M receiver

Four SW-65 speakers powered by an Alpine MRX-V70 amp (60 watts, 4 ohms, per speaker)

Two SW-650 speakers powered by an Alpine MRP-F300 amp (150 watts, 4 ohms per speaker)

SW-10FA powered by the same Alpine MRX-V70 amp (250 watts, 4 ohms). The sub is in a .7 cubic foot sealed enclosure underneath the dashboard. I decided to use a sealed box because I couldn't really get true front/back separation for an infinite baffle install. The subsonic filter is set at 20hz and the LP filter at 80hz.

Bazooka MBTA8250D (self powered 250 watts). This thing isn't that great. I have it really cranked back because it doesn't sound that good. It was the first piece of audio equipment I purchased back in the day.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-04-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
So where is that self powered sub in relation to the 10Fa?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-04-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
A couple of issues i see. The free air 10 can be in a sealed box. But needs to be a lot larger than .7 cu ft. Think of a free air woofer as a woofer that can play in a large sealed box. As it would be in a free air set up. It uses the cavity behind the woofer as the box. So if you put it into a box. It needs to be large. Our manual shows a 1.3 cut ft box. So see if you have room to make a larger enclosure first.

Second is what chpthril is referring too. You could be getting some phase cancellation with having two subs based on where they are at. Un hook the powered sub and play it. You might do better without it or moving locations.

250 watts is OK power to the sub. The Sw/XS 10 FA can handle more power however the enclosure sounds like the weak link in your set up versus the amp

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-04-2013, 2:57 PM Reply   
The bazooka tube is in the walkway in the bow (I have a 99 star), firing forward, with the grill about 3 inches from the front end. My bow sac is on a platform directly above it. It doesn't seem like the bazooka tube makes much difference - sometimes I have it connected and sometimes I don't.

Tim - Thanks for your response. When I built the box, I was relying on the specs on the web page for the SW-10FA, which says "Optimized for Infinite Baffle (Free Air) applications or .7 cu ft sealed enclosure." What a shame. It's a bulletproof box made out of Azek and is a super clean install. I don't know if I'll redo it or not. There's plenty of room under the dash (I've removed the heater), but I don't know what my wife will say if I tear everything out and start over. I just never thought to check the specs from the web page against the specs in the user's manual.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-04-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
Now that I think about it, I need to start a new thread asking about the best sub for 250 watts at 4ohms in a .7 foot sealed box. It'll be much easier to change the sub than to alter the box. And then I need to find a new place for the SW-10FA. And then I'm back to my original question re: the best amp for it.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-04-2013, 3:18 PM Reply   
eric, so sorry about that. I can see the web site is wrong. We had not caught that before. I will get it changed right now. Sorry for the hassle.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-04-2013, 3:36 PM Reply   
No worries Tim! You guys answered a ton of questions for me before and after my purchase and I really appreciate it. Also, the SW-650 might just be the best speaker ever. It'll all work out and my system will be better off because of it.