Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (BlakeEatmon)      Join Date: Nov 2014       01-15-2015, 6:07 PM Reply   
Hope this doesn't stir up a hornets nest but I gotta do it. Hope we can keep the bashing to a minimum, and get some real world input/feedback. I posted this on Teamtalk a few months ago right after demoing the new X23. I got some good feedback but it was mainly from MC owners and enthusiasts which is pretty much as I expected. I figured I owed it to myself to post over here before making a final decision between these 2 boats. I have eliminated all other boats and it is definitely down to these 2. Both great boats but totally different. I'll give my 2 cents on my experience/thoughts with both boats and see where it goes... Almost forgot, we will primarily use the boat for wake surfing and wakeboarding Thanks in advance for your input!
I demoed the new X-23 back in the fall. I was very impressed with the boat. Classic Mastercraft look just bigger and beefier overall. Handling was good, 6.2 performed nicely. They made a few nice changes from tradition like the rear facing lounge seats and the relocation of the battery switch (took a page from the G). The hard tank ballast was really nice however I was very disappointed to find out that they had fat sacks in both rear compartments from the factory. I thought that was the whole premise of making the boat deeper/bigger was for totally hidden hard tank ballast. There went the storage back there...Wakeboard wake was good but not G23 calibre. The surf wake was awesome on both sides however it was noticeably better on the port side. We shifted some people weight around and it quickly became just as good on the starboard side. We had 5 people in the boat. I have a 2012 Mastercraft X-30 now and the interior finishes were very reminiscent of what I already have albeit a few updates here and there. I will post some pictures below of the x-23 that i demoed.
Now on to the G23.I demoed a 2014 late in 2013. What a beast. I was equally impressed with this boat but in a whole different way. Wakeboard wake was phenomenal. Surf wake was great but not as good as the x-23. I didn't actually surf it nor did anyone else. No one had a wet suit. That boat had the 450 with the NSS. It didn't handle quite as good as the X-23 from what I remember but it held its own. I was really impressed with the storage, the interface, and the Seadek instead of carpet. Actually going to demo one again tomorrow so it will be fresh in my mind. In the last 2 weeks, Ive crawled in and out of both boats in the showroom and spent lots of time on each going through them.

Final thoughts-(again both great boats at the top of their game)

x-23 Likes

Handling
Clamping board racks
Surf wake
Transom seating
Surf system
Comfy seating
Trim tabs for balancing the boat out
Quick fill ballast (2 pumps per tank)
Sound system

x-23 Dislikes

Interior feels and looks like my 2012 x-30 (not that its a bad thing but time for a change)
no seadek
ballast bags are taking up the rear storage compartments
lack of storage overall
when surfing either side there is spray coming off the transom

G23 Likes

Awesome wakeboard wake
Surf system
Surf wake was good but I keep reading posts that more weight needs to be added (thoughts???)
Looks different than anything on the water
Storage galore
Seadek
Great interface
In floor cooler
Trashcan location with slot
Great layout overall

G23 Dislikes

Hit my head on the speakers and the front of the bimini (I'm 6-1)
Audio was not as good as MC (supposedly they upgraded for 2015) thoughts???
Bungees on the board racks (my biggest dislike) kudos to Mastercraft
Seats are not nearly as cozy as MC

Thats all I've got. This is really tough for me. I know, 3rd world problem...lol. Please share your thoughts and experiences. I'm leaning G23 by a nose but i have concerns over the surf wake being as good as the x-23 and with the handling overall in comparison. Never owned a Nautique either. Always had MC'S.