Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
I asked Tim to send me some pictures of this new head unit and remote so that we could see what they can do. Much more detailed than the IBEX photo I posted yesterday.

No - I don't know if they will be OEM in any boat and I don't know when they will ship.

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-17-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
I'm completely interested in this. I need to replace my deck and I was also looking at the 420 already for the multizone control and I wanted a Bluetooth deck. It appears that this would do it all in one unit. I just wonder if I have enough room on my boat for it. Did he provide a shipping time? Price? dimensions?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2015, 8:11 AM Reply   
Don't know answer to any of those. But based on my business knowledge, I would personally not release anything marine until early spring.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       09-17-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
If it works as a head unit and has all the functions of the 420 EQ built in sign me up. Tim more info please
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-17-2015, 9:17 AM Reply   
I know he is at IBEX - may be hard to get him to post at the moment.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-17-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
This has been in development for a looong time. Glad to see it's finally out for demo. Ibex ends today, so they should be heading back soon.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-17-2015, 12:55 PM Reply   
I PM'ed Tim and he said roughly around end of first quarter (March). This is the answer to my audio dilemma. As long as its priced reasonable, I want this in my boat.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-17-2015, 4:37 PM Reply   
Sitting at the airport on way home from IBEX show.

We will be releasing more info soon on price and dimensions and full specs. This has been a many year project for us. We are very excited to get this out there!

My goal with the unit has been a high output super clean, super simple to use, no bs unit. You will have a high end sound, high voltage output clean at any level all the way to max volume unclipped. And none of the stuff like rock concert, jazz hall, crazy boost settings, complicated menus, 100 page manual to figure out how to connect BT and so on

Here is a quick rundown. The Media Center is a black box brain unit with master full color display and ability to have 3 transom remotes.

AM/FM/weather band, aux Input, Usb with Apple and android support, Bluetooth 4.0 with CSR chip with APTX codec, Sirius/XM ready, Pandora ready, Spotify Ready (so if your streaming pandora, all information and cover art shows up on the screen and you can thumbs up and down from the unit)
4 zones of 4 volt RCA outputs. All uclipped at max volume for easy system tuning and clean signal no matter what! All 4 zones can be re named, Tower, Boat, Sub and Bow for example. Master Volume with seperate easy access independent zone control. So yes like a 420.
Ability to preset 3 volume profiles and name them. Wake, Party and Chill for example. Set towers at 100%, sub at 75%, boats at 50% and bow at 25% and then save that profile as "wake". Master volume will then track volume up and down but will not go past % setting for each zone. Example: tower is 100% so master volume will track that from 0-100% of the volume and reach 100% when radio is on max level of 40. Boats are set at 50% so master volume will track 0-50% for this zone. When master is at max of 40, boat zone will still be at 50%.
Once you play with it, it is the easiest way to control audio and zones you will find. And the only radio that will allow you multiple pre set profiles.
Also, has the ability to have 3 quick pre set fast access sources, so you select you favorite 3 sources so no scrolling through complex menus.
We designed the GUI to be clean and simple, easy to use, large knob, full color
Also, transom remote has all zone controls as well and you can change zone volumes in one simple click of the large knob.

We plan on having everything in production by the end of the year as we have finished tooling and finializing a few more software and GUI parts.

So end of first quarter for availability.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (WABoating)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-17-2015, 4:58 PM Reply   
Just to be clear... the base unit (MC-1 BB) includes the RF section (tuner), and the whole thing can be controlled via the CAN bus? If so, this would integrate well with our WakeTouch tablet-based helm systems.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-17-2015, 5:16 PM Reply   
Yes, the black box contains the components and can be controller via can bus and not need the DD dash display.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (WABoating)      Join Date: Mar 2013       09-17-2015, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetsounds1 View Post
Yes, the black box contains the components and can be controller via can bus and not need the DD dash display.
Excellent! We will need to talk in the near future.
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-17-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
So does the transom remote have enough function built in to control the black box and setup all settings without the use of the dash display? I'd hate to spend the cash on that beauty of a display only to hide it in the glove box and use the remote 99.9% of the time.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-17-2015, 9:06 PM Reply   
Please tell me this thing can auto control the volume while riding like the HSE did. If so, you have the perfect product here.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-17-2015, 9:26 PM Reply   
Very very slick. I like it a lot
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2015, 7:00 AM Reply   
I would love to have this in my boat but I fear that it's going to be way too expensive.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-18-2015, 10:47 AM Reply   
Take my money now
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-18-2015, 1:58 PM Reply   
It's extremely rare that you see a new product that is a fresh and comprehensive approach. The Wetsounds HU is one of those products....much like the Wetsounds EQ many years ago. To this day the only way you can replicate the Wetsounds EQ is with two EQs and a separate PA, in other words, three chassis.

It does look expensive but going by the list of abilities it deserves to be costly. Not something you can do on the cheap.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-18-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
"This item is too expensive for my $100,000 + boat"
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-18-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
"This item is too expensive for my $100,000 + boat"

Not everyone's boats are that expensive.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-18-2015, 8:26 PM Reply   
This thing is slick! Is the amp bridgeable?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-18-2015, 9:20 PM Reply   
Looks pretty damn awesome Tim but I think you missed the boat (pun intended) on a couple things. A) there's no tape deck and B) as far as I can tell there's no handle on it to slide it out and throw it in a Case Logic carrying case for safe keeping.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2015, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
This thing is slick! Is the amp bridgeable?
Doubtful that you could bridge the black box as it is probably already using a push/pull output.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-19-2015, 7:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Looks pretty damn awesome Tim but I think you missed the boat (pun intended) on a couple things. A) there's no tape deck and B) as far as I can tell there's no handle on it to slide it out and throw it in a Case Logic carrying case for safe keeping.
But it does have an Aux input if cassette makes a comeback.

Funny that they actually sell the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack on cassette. Not sure what you could play that back on today.

Metal, Ferrochrome, Dolby B, Dolby C?

I miss vinyl direct to cassette and anything with big analog meters. Possibly Tascam still makes cassette recorders.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
It reminds me of the Fusion units, is there a partnership on this? Looks very cool!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-19-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
It reminds me of the Fusion units, is there a partnership on this? Looks very cool!
No, no partnership with fusion. This was designed and developed by us from the ground up.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (get_sum)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-19-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
Man... What a comprehensive and great approach to a problem. Tim, you and your team there at WS are top notch! Looks like and upgrade is in my future.
Old     (fannin)      Join Date: Jul 2014       09-19-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Will this unit have a PA?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-19-2015, 7:19 PM Reply   
Will it include the proposed wireless boat to boat connection?
Will there be any EQ in it?
Can't wait for it to come out.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-20-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Sitting at the airport on way home from IBEX show.

We will be releasing more info soon on price and dimensions and full specs. This has been a many year project for us. We are very excited to get this out there!

My goal with the unit has been a high output super clean, super simple to use, no bs unit. You will have a high end sound, high voltage output clean at any level all the way to max volume unclipped. And none of the stuff like rock concert, jazz hall, crazy boost settings, complicated menus, 100 page manual to figure out how to connect BT and so on

Here is a quick rundown. The Media Center is a black box brain unit with master full color display and ability to have 3 transom remotes.

AM/FM/weather band, aux Input, Usb with Apple and android support, Bluetooth 4.0 with CSR chip with APTX codec, Sirius/XM ready, Pandora ready, Spotify Ready (so if your streaming pandora, all information and cover art shows up on the screen and you can thumbs up and down from the unit)
4 zones of 4 volt RCA outputs. All uclipped at max volume for easy system tuning and clean signal no matter what! All 4 zones can be re named, Tower, Boat, Sub and Bow for example. Master Volume with seperate easy access independent zone control. So yes like a 420.
Ability to preset 3 volume profiles and name them. Wake, Party and Chill for example. Set towers at 100%, sub at 75%, boats at 50% and bow at 25% and then save that profile as "wake". Master volume will then track volume up and down but will not go past % setting for each zone. Example: tower is 100% so master volume will track that from 0-100% of the volume and reach 100% when radio is on max level of 40. Boats are set at 50% so master volume will track 0-50% for this zone. When master is at max of 40, boat zone will still be at 50%.
Once you play with it, it is the easiest way to control audio and zones you will find. And the only radio that will allow you multiple pre set profiles.
Also, has the ability to have 3 quick pre set fast access sources, so you select you favorite 3 sources so no scrolling through complex menus.

So end of first quarter for availability.

Tim
Wet Sounds

I have the ability to do all this on the new ICE system in my 2016 Supra SA. It is a very nice convenient feature.

This should be a nice product. Good job WS
Old     (theanimal)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-23-2015, 11:48 AM Reply   
Can it be submerged or hosed down directly?
Also I know you said it has 4 zones but do each of the zones have an EQ like the WS420?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-24-2015, 5:18 AM Reply   
I received this in a e-mail when i asked if they would have the new wireless communication of the A-link built in to it and if it would have dsp abilities built in.
So it kind of sounds like they are going to try to switch to it being done at the amp and not the source.

"It will not have DSP as we have a new line of amplifiers that have DSP and available from select dealers and OEM only as we have found that most of the time EQ and DSP when set up wrong do more harm than good. We design our speakers so you should not need to do a lot of EQ’ing anyway

The wireless linking is an outboard unit called our A Link that we are bringing out soon and the head unit has a special output just for this unit."
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       10-25-2015, 6:46 PM Reply   
Can anyone recommend an marine audio dealer that works with Wetsounds anywhere from Columbus, Ohio to Knoxville, TN areas ?

thanks
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       10-26-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
This is jonyb that posts on here and other forums quite a bit. He should be able to handle whatever you throw his way. Located in Paducah, KY.

http://www.proinstallzmobilemarine.com/
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-26-2015, 3:00 PM Reply   
I 2nd JonyB
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-03-2015, 7:51 AM Reply   
Thanks for the referrals fellas!

Mystified, I'm in Paducah, KY, which is about 2 hours north of Nashville. I've got a lot of clients in between me and you that I've done work for. As I type this I'm in Vegas at the opening day of sema. I spent the last couple days helping Tim and the guys with their booth setup, and had a little time with the new head unit and rub controller. All I can say is wow. When they design and produce something, it's top notch.

I'll be glad to help any way I can. I don't have a website, but we do have a Facebook page - "Pro Installz Mobile and Marine". Send me a message on here or on there with your number and I'll give you a call.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       11-03-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
X3 for Jony B
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       11-04-2015, 8:56 AM Reply   
Sounds good. My boat is down in Knoxville but I'm up in Ohio. I'd really interested to upgrade to the new wetsounds Headunit and remote(s) and possibly other changes depending on your recs.

thanks, I will be in touch
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-17-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
Can anyone recommend an marine audio dealer that works with Wetsounds anywhere from Des Moines, IA to Minneapolis areas ?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-17-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
Here, let me google that for you: https://wetsounds.com/pages/dealers/dealer_locator.php
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-17-2015, 5:33 PM Reply   
Call Wet Sounds and ask for the nearest dealer!

1-877-938-7757
Old     (RzNick)      Join Date: Aug 2014       11-18-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesell View Post
Please tell me this thing can auto control the volume while riding like the HSE did. If so, you have the perfect product here.
I agree. Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that if I want auto volume I'm gonna have to buy a new boat. All the new models have this standard. And I'm pretty sure no one wants to get into this market. Too bad. My HSE crapped out on me and the boost box never did work.
Old     (goridedoo)      Join Date: Jul 2015       02-22-2016, 5:00 PM Reply   
Any new info? Pricing? Release date?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-22-2016, 5:34 PM Reply   
I'm amazed every time Tim and Wet Sounds puts out a new product. The best part is how wake focused they are. I'm especially impressed with the four re-nameable zones. If I were a boat manufacturer, I'd be throwing money at Tim to let me be the exclusive on this bad boy!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-23-2016, 9:29 AM Reply   
I just called and was told it would be well after this summer before it's released.
Old     (BrettLee3232)      Join Date: Feb 2015       02-27-2016, 11:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowwboy View Post
I just called and was told it would be well after this summer before it's released.

Seems like every time with WS....remember last year when everyone got all wet for the A-Link?

"It will be here before summer...blah, blah, blah"

I guess it's a blessing in disguise since they don't want to release an inferior product but come on. Don't get everyone's hopes up....just say NO ETA!

I'm still impatiently waiting for the A-Link to be released.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-28-2016, 6:22 PM Reply   
I've told my customers NO ETA, and it still doesn't register. The delay is always because something is being made better, or something wasn't going to be up to expectations.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-03-2016, 6:21 AM Reply   
Did I read that right.....that Wetsounds has a new line of amplifiers coming out that has DSP? Lets hear more about those!!
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2016, 7:07 AM Reply   
As I understand it, the DSP will only be for boat manufacturers and a hand full of dealers. So no end user abilities.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-03-2016, 7:34 AM Reply   
Should a person even considering buying any ot this if there is no dealer near or no phone/email support to install it? I found if you dont have all their components they dont want to help you even though they are slow in the winter. Service after the sale is what really counts for those that live far from a dealer.
Service equals sales, not pictures and hype.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-03-2016, 8:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
As I understand it, the DSP will only be for boat manufacturers and a hand full of dealers. So no end user abilities.
That's true as far as what I have heard also. Wetsounds will prep the DSP before delivery to a boat manufacturer specific to a particular boat and system. Taking the system 'tuning' out of the boat dealer's hands is a fantastic idea because no matter how much you train them and no matter how you define the set-up guidelines, the final execution by the manufacturer will unfortunately drift.
IMO, the selected and limited dealers should already have considerable DSP experience, whether with Arc, Audison, or one of the others. To be effective, you would need tools such as a very good quality measurement mic and an RTA program for starters. And control over the time domain is something that most struggle with. So I wouldn't want to be in a position where you had to educate end-consumers and dealers in mass who lack the knowledge and experience. In order to hold the standard high and maintain positive product reviews this should remain limited. But in the correct hands this new Wetsounds product is a game changer.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-03-2016, 8:46 AM Reply   
I don't disagree with you David, just like Rexlex brought up a lot of area's don't have very good local support if any at all.
Even for me, the nearest authorized WS dealer that I would trust for that entailed of work would be a 3hr drive. Don't get me wrong, we have local shops that have the skills and I would trust but they are not WS dealers.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       03-03-2016, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't disagree with you David, just like Rexlex brought up a lot of area's don't have very good local support if any at all.
Even for me, the nearest authorized WS dealer that I would trust for that entailed of work would be a 3hr drive. Don't get me wrong, we have local shops that have the skills and I would trust but they are not WS dealers.
Right, and you will be in the exact same position with any product brand that offers a more sophisticated version of DSP. So until they figure out a way to make this feature more of a commodity, then those end-consumers will be dependent on local dealers which will be limited.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-05-2016, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexlex01 View Post
Should a person even considering buying any ot this if there is no dealer near or no phone/email support to install it? I found if you dont have all their components they dont want to help you even though they are slow in the winter. Service after the sale is what really counts for those that live far from a dealer.
Where are you from? Have you called Wet Sounds to find the nearest dealer? And if you did, were they no help?
Old     (Copenglenn)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-13-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
Any updates on these? Not that I need another reason to spend money
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       05-13-2016, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
If you've never purchased anything from wetsounds, you'd be in for a treat. Buy from a reputable shop if there's not one in your area. Earmark marine is what I went with, and Odin was top notch when it came to support after the sale. It's like having a good car dealer. There's good and bad, some take care of you, some don't. Earmark will help you through anything you need help with. They're a great outfit.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-13-2016, 2:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure what you mean here. We have the best customer service and many can agree. That goes for dealers, consumers and oem customers. So not sure why you experienced anything different but please email me direct, twhite@wetsounds.com and let me know who you dealt with as that is not how we do business. You will see my guys go above and beyond helping customers design systems and offer the best support whether that is a full Wet Sounds system or just adding a pair to a current system with other gear.

As for the Head Unit. We are still in beta right now. The A Link and the Head Unit fought us pretty hard. We don't like to release info until they are ready, which we thought we were close on both but wasn't the case.

The A link is finally about to ship! The head unit is almost done with Beta but won't make any promises knowing the luck we have had. It just seems thats been the case on pushing the envelope on designs.

As for the DSP amplifiers. Right now the plan is OEM and select dealers only. Think of it like your automotive audio system. There is no gains and adjustments that can be made in the car from the consumer. It is set for the acoustics of that car. The OEM DSP systems will offer the best factory systems to date for marine as they are tuned for each model and there is less room for error. Select dealers will have access to the amplifiers for the end user as well. These amplifiers require a tuning dongle device to tune.

There are many options for a stand alone DSP if a retail customer wants to add DSP to their system, so there is options there. And we have the full line of regular amplifiers available for consumer and aftermarket.

We are looking at ways for a more consumer friendly version, however right now. The poem and select dealer version is what we will have.

Stay tuned, more to come................

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2016, 11:40 AM Reply   
Is there an update on this? Price?
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-22-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
Its been a year........ Still nothing???
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-30-2016, 8:15 PM Reply   
Since they didn't make the first of the season, there are a few more perfections being made (as I heard from a rep).
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-07-2016, 11:56 AM Reply   
Having just returned from the 2016 IBEX in Tampa FL, I can say without a doubt, this product is real and real close. just a couple tweaks leaf to be made and it should be released soon. Got a chance to demo it in a live setup, not just a on a demo display. This unit has some really bada$$ features and if very user friendly considering what all it does.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-09-2016, 6:38 AM Reply   
I didn't get to make it to Ibex, but should get to see it at SEMA at the end of this month. Saw it last year on a display and it was great.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-24-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
Any update on this head unit ? I didn't see it on the website so I assume it hasn't released.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-24-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Beta Production units are at Sirius XM for testing and sign off. We cannot release until they approve. We are in the home stretch. This has been a major project to develop a unit from scratch. Not sure how long it will take but we are pushing as hard as we can. Thanks

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-24-2017, 5:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the reply.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-26-2017, 7:31 AM Reply   
Hi Tim!

Gee, aren't head units fun??? LOL

Hope you are well, holler some time

Phil
Kicker