Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-28-2011, 7:17 AM Reply   
Well, I got the boat in on Friday and worked on it all weekend. First thing I did was swap the steering wheel. Next, I made LED speaker rings (which turned out ok, but not perfect. It was a messy job. Thank goodness my father-in-law has a full woodshop with all sorts of commercial machinery in it.

I then used a VLX amp board and mounted my amps and the distribution blocks. I used 0 gauge wire to feed the blocks this year and 4 gauge to all of the amps. I squeezed the amp board into the ob compartment and then ran my power wires. Next, I removed the factory battery holders/mounts. I placed two D3100 batteries from www.4xspower.com in the ob compartment against the back wall and wired them to the battery selector switch. I used the factory tie down straps to secure the batteries in place. Next, I ran the RCA wires and power/ground/remote to the footwell under the dash. I mounted the ws420 eq under the dash and hooked it up and hid the wiring. Next, I mounted the amp board to the wall.

I then dissembled my Wetsounds XXX sub box and had to reconstruct it inside the ob compartment. The box wouldn't fit through the hole in one piece. I proceeded with wiring the LED speaker rings and installing them behind the cabin speakers. The rear speakers are recessed so much that you can't really see the lights at night, so I'm going to move those rings up front and simply attach LED strips to the outside of the speaker grill on the rear speakers. Oh, I used all wetsounds xs650 interior speakers in the boat. They fit fine, you just have to cut all of the terminals off and crimp on larger female leads.

Next, I mounted the wetsounds Pro 485's on the tower. They fit perfect. No problems whatsoever. No fitment issues, etc. Still plenty of headroom. Next, I mounted the z5. It was super easy. I just put the center ring mounts on the front tower leg and left them sortof loose. I then put the z5 in the slots on the mounts and pinned them in for security. It was obvious that the planned mounting points for the rear z5 struts would not work with the 485's, so I had to relocate the rear mounting struts. I ended up placing the rear mounting rings on the top part of the front leg of the tower right up against the gusset piece. I used a shorter strut that z5 sent me. If you are going to go this route on your A22, you will need to request the shorter struts from Z5 and an extra set of curve bottom mounting sockets (you could just remove and relocate the sockets that come on the rack, but I left them in place in case the next owner doesn't want 485's and wants to put the struts in the factory locations.

The rack is sturdy as can be and fits perfect with the 485's. I honestly think I have more headroom under this z5 than I did under the one mounted on my 230. I couldn't be happier!

It sounds amazing. I think that the larger diameter power and ground wires, plus the fact that the batteries are so much closer to the amps, makes everything sound cleaner, with less interference, etc. The other thing that's great about this boat and this system is that the power (other than the a/c) comes directly from the battery distribution switch, and does not run through another fuse panel like it did on my 230. If I ever had the xxx pumping and the tower speakers and the cabin speakers going in my 230, it would pop a fuse and I'd have to reset everything. I hated that, and there was no easy way around it, unless I ran tons of wiring all through the 230. Not so with the A22.

I must say that the install was not easy. I'm still not done, because I have to put all clear lenses on the trailer, install the plug in play bags, and swap out the led speaker rings to the front. However, I'm much close to finished than I was on Friday.

I don't have any interior pictures yet, because the boat has not yet been cleaned up from the install. I do have some pics with the cover on so you can see how the z5/485's look. I'll finish up this weekend or one night this week and have some more photos for ya.

I'm super stoked about the boat. I can't wait to get it out and ride behind it.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-28-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
look forward to uncovered pics and some water pics.

congrats.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-28-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
Looks great..... nice work
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-28-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Nice, congrats!!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-28-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
Loving it so far Chattwake!!! That is exactly the system I want to put in our A22!!! I might drop you a PM for some info on that xxx box!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-28-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
The box was made to spec using Wetsound's ported box design with a corner port.
Old     (sidetracked3)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-28-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
What a tease. uncover that bad boy!!!
Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-28-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
thats awesome, nice boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
Looks like its gonna be darn nice once its all finished and cleaned up. I'm surprised you didn't put the XXX in the drivers footwell to get better sound. Does it not fit in its existing enclosure?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-28-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
No it wouldn't fit right under the drivers footwell. I pulled the drivers seat out and the footwell and tried to put the box in there and it just wasn't going to fit right. The heater hoses were in the way, as well as the steering cable. Also, if you take out the footwell your carpet doesn't snap in right and I got the new fancy schmancy vandal carpet.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2011, 6:16 PM Reply   
Well if you can find a way to vent the comprtment so the sound can more easily escape you'll be good. I suppose you may not want to though since you get rid of the boat each year. You can alwasy just open when at party cove. Was it in the same location in your Nauti?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-28-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
Yup. That's the plan. When were riding I'm not usually cranking the sub.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
been following your recent threads. that is a sharp looking boat for sure. anxious to see more pics and read some feedback after you've broken her in. congrats!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-28-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
A+ Chatt!!! Please keep us up on the pics... I'm always excited to see yours and G's projects!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       03-01-2011, 6:48 AM Reply   
Im gonna make a special trip to Patry Cove this season to see it in person, you gonna give some pulls or what?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-01-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
Sure!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-01-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
^Did you survive the tornado yesterday?
Old    mojo            03-01-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'd let chattwake design my boat and stereo and have it delivered and I bet it would fit me perfectly. Sick boat again
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-01-2011, 9:01 AM Reply   
Thanks man. I appreciate it. I actually just keep it simple. All white or black, minimal graphics, etc. And the wetsounds stuff is just buying a pretty simple package of what's easy to wire, and well balanced. I can't tell you guys how much help the folks at wetsounds have been over the years. Also, Boatmate's been great with the trailer stuff.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-01-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Well if you can find a way to vent the comprtment so the sound can more easily escape you'll be good. I suppose you may not want to though since you get rid of the boat each year. You can alwasy just open when at party cove. Was it in the same location in your Nauti?
I have noticed on ours that if you flip up both of the chillax seats that you can hear the sub much better.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-01-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Yes, that makes sense. I want to say I thought of that and then forgot about it when I was putting the sub in there.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-02-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Lookin good! Keep the pictures coming
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 5:05 AM Reply   
Here are some pictures of the interior that I took last night with my crappy Iphone camera. I'll take better ones later. The boat has the cement base color interior with black and silver accents and the vandal carpet insert. I added my Nardi steering wheel and some homemade LED speaker rings. I thought it turned out pretty good! Sorry about the red rag ont he dash. I was in cleanup mode when I took these pics.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-03-2011, 5:13 AM Reply   
Boat looks SICK but you really retarded it up with that steering wheel
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 5:41 AM Reply   
Hahahaha. Well, to each their own I guess!

Personally, I just hate the factory steering wheels. The black rubber always gets sunscreen all over it and is impossible to keep clean. Also, I just like something a little different on my boats. :P
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-03-2011, 5:50 AM Reply   
Makes me want an Axis! I love the steering wheel, hope you dont mind when I do the same to my next boat. Good work!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
No problem man! Imitation is the best form of flattery.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-03-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
Wow, that looks great Chatt! Nice work on the interior. Did you get it delivered with those speakers or did you just get it delivered with no speakers?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
I had it delivered with nothing but a head unit and transom remote. It was pre-wired though. I ordered the XS650's through my local dealer, who hooks me up.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-03-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
I like the LEDs, not too much, not too little.

Are you doing underwater LEDs???? I have a red interior as well, but the lumitec lights I want don't come in red so might have to mis-match and go Blue. Better penetration with blue and won't feel like swimming in blood, but not sure.

I like the steering wheel
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 6:18 AM Reply   
I"m debating doing some of the cupholders next.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
The boat came with underwater lights that are white. I'm going to stick with those for now. To really do underwater lights right, you have to step up to shadowcasters or something similar. I just can't justify 1k on underwater lights. Stereo stuff is expensive and a z5 is expensive, but you get huge functionality gains out of those add-ons. I don't swim a lot at night, and I don't fish off of my back platform, so as much as I'd love to have some sick underwater led's, it's just not something I can justify right now.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-03-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
Looks good! I like the steering wheel.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-03-2011, 10:38 AM Reply   
It looks phenomenal Chattwake!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thanks. I've got to put the spare wheel/tire on now, install the plug n play bags, the tower mirror, and a few more LED's.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-03-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
boat looks so sexy, only thing that I would change is the Deck, my friend has that deck and has had nothing but problems, maybe its just me though
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-03-2011, 1:38 PM Reply   
Well, I play music through an Ipod like 99.9% of the time, and I'll control levels throught he ws420, so I'm not really worried about it. Hopefully, it works though!
Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-03-2011, 9:00 PM Reply   
chatt, what size wheels are on your trailer? also what size and are the tires just reg car tires? are most trailers just universal on the lug pattern?
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-03-2011, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Well, I play music through an Ipod like 99.9% of the time, and I'll control levels throught he ws420, so I'm not really worried about it. Hopefully, it works though!
My parents have that deck on their Sea Ray Sundancer; no issues for the past 2 years. Boat looks great Chatt, I look forward to hearing how it measures up to the nautiques you have owned.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2011, 5:24 AM Reply   
Chris,

The wheels are 18x9. The bolt pattern is 5x4.5. The tires are Nexen N 3000. The tire size is 255/45/r18.

I'm not sure if all trailers are universal. I know that several years ago I wanted to match the rims on my truck and boatmate did that for me on my trailer, but they had to use a different axle with a different bolt pattern to make it happen.

Matt,

I'll keep you in the loop on the comparison. So far, I'm thrilled. No, the interior is not quite as big and not quite as plush as the interior on the 230. There are some areas where less expensive materials were used - like on the dash and in the construction of the glove compartment door - but considering I paid half the price, I'm still getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than half the boat. Quite frankly, there's nothing that that A22 doesn't have that the 230 does have that I care about. I still get my monster stereo, my z5, a 400hp power plant, cool snap out carpet, perfect pass, ballast, rock solid tower, etc. All I've really given up are some creature comforts - like navigation - and some interior bling trim. It's not like the A22 doesn't have underwater lights, a heater, and other cool features that I do like to have.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-04-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Hahahaha. Well, to each their own I guess!

Personally, I just hate the factory steering wheels. The black rubber always gets sunscreen all over it and is impossible to keep clean. Also, I just like something a little different on my boats. :P
Solution: Don't wear sunscreen.

Boat looks sick bro - I'm jelly
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
The boat looks GREAT chattwake! Nice job on all the additions, it looks great. The steering wheel is definitely an eye-catcher for sure.
Old     (DMeyersLT)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-04-2011, 9:52 AM Reply   
Very nice setup boat looks great.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-04-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Nice setup! That system looks great! What's that steering wheel out of? Looks like it's out of a 60's Corvette.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-04-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
Chat, what are you going to do with the $2 throttle knob? I have an A22 coming and first thing I am doing is pulling that little knob off and putting something else on. Let me know if you change yours and what you change it with.

boat looks sick
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-04-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm debating about that.
Old    mojo            03-04-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
Is that a morse ? If it is I haven't seen one since 99'. Nostalgic.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-04-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
chatt speaking of throttle nob's one like mine would go great with the steering wheel if I remember right I bought it from discount inboard marine............H
Attached Images

Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-04-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
love the wheel... reminds me of a classy drift steering wheel! looks great if you want a lot of bass with a little loss of space pull out the plastic footwel and do a box in there and amke a trim panel to cover it... then you gain all of storgare back... nice job!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Ok. Well, I'm finished. I got the led cupholders finished and installed, put clear lenses on the trailer, got the plug n play system (using 1100lb ultimate surf sacs in the rear compartments) installed, put the mirror mount on, cleaned the interior and waxed the exterior. Here are the results:
Attached Images

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-14-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Awesome boat. Looks like the perfect purchase. Loaded with all the necessary items to produce a perfect day of wakeboarding! My next boat with most likely be blacked out. Looks sick!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-14-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
$55,000 boat

$9 camera

Looks sick man. Lovin the all black.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2011, 8:54 AM Reply   
Aww man. Iphone's cost more than that! I'll pull out the DSLR this weekend when I'm on the water!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-14-2011, 9:47 AM Reply   
Chat - once again....
CLOWNING!
sick
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-14-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
What's the wind/water for the driver with the windshield like that? I ride on a big lake with some areas of big open water, and also early and late season temps. The more protection from the elements, the better.
Old     (beretta5spd)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-14-2011, 10:22 AM Reply   
only one thing left to do now.....

Enjoy it!
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-15-2011, 4:19 AM Reply   
looks great !tint the windows!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-15-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
Hahah. We ride alot in the evenings, and I drive my boat at night on various occasions. Tint would make that more difficult. I love the look, but the functionality makes it a no-go for me.
Old     (fabio)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-25-2011, 3:39 PM Reply   
i am really looking forward to see the wake/wave pics of your boat. i dont think i `ve seen online a close and detailed shot of any a22 raptor 400's wake so far

Last edited by fabio; 04-25-2011 at 3:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old     (fabio)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-25-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
i mean, i think i have seen, but not with the fully loaded setup you use
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-25-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
I'll get some up soon I promise!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Ok. So here are three pictures that are not very good, but it's something to look at. One is if me surfing with my 2.75 year old (who can't get enough surfin w/ dad). I had the wedge down, the left rear full, and about 750lbs in the left rear plug n play surf bag. I had like 3 people in the boat, who were sitting in the cabin area, but not all on the left side, and/or not on the sun pad. At 10.2mph, the wave was nice and consistent - not huge - but it's not like I had a lot of weight in the boat. The platform does dig down into the water a little bit and causes a little - like one foot tall - bubble like splash, but it doesn't affect the wave at all. I've heard comments about the platform affecting the wave on the A22, but I didn't notice it at all.

The second surf picture was me riding in rough water and in pretty windy conditions. The wave looks dirty, but the size and shape was nice. I had the same weight in the boat as the first picture, but with about 7 people in the cabin, all sitting on the left side of the boat. I think if I put one more 500lb sac on the rear seat, the wave would have been bigger. I'm still dialing things in. Again, the water was rough and the wind was whipping, so the wave was frothy.

The last picture is about the crappiest picture ever taken. My friend's girlfriend took this picture with what was essentially a disposable digital camera. This is me leaving a little early on a tantrum. I had 7 people in the boat, the center ballast full, the rear hard tanks full and about 300lbs in each of the pnp bags in the rear hatches, and the wedge down. I was riding at 23mph at 70 feet. This was only my third ride of the season, so I'm riding short with a smaller wake. The wake was still really really good even with only this weight setup. I was able to land all of my inverts and get some really great w2w pop.

We have ridden with all of the factory ballast full, about 800lbs in each rear pnp surf sac, wedge down, the front pnp bag full and a 1000lb bow triangle sac full and the wake was like waste high. My friend Kyle killed it riding at 80 feet at 23.2 mph. No pictures, but I'll get some soon with the wake setup like that.
Attached Images

Last edited by chattwake; 04-26-2011 at 6:37 AM.
Old     (fabio)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-27-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
We have ridden with all of the factory ballast full, about 800lbs in each rear pnp surf sac, wedge down, the front pnp bag full and a 1000lb bow triangle sac full and the wake was like waste high. My friend Kyle killed it riding at 80 feet at 23.2 mph. No pictures, but I'll get some soon with the wake setup like that.
f*** yeah , this must be tsunami style.

chatt, does deano's and randall's boat run the raptor 400?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2011, 11:52 AM Reply   
My understanding is yes they do.
Old     (samgreazy)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-30-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
boat is sick.....looks good!!!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 6:00 AM Reply   
Here's a few pictures of us (me, Chris Moon, and Daniel Walden) shredding this past weekend behind the A22. We had factory ballast full + wedge + front plug n play sac + 1000 lbs surf sacs in the rear about 80% full. The wake was so much fun. The best I've ever ridden. Cant wait to get back out there this coming weekend.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2011, 8:10 AM Reply   
wake is enormous.. that's what 5k + wedge will get you, eh:?

Sick man.. thanks for posting pictures for the first time with a camera you didn't get out of a cracker jack box.. Looks incredible.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
The great part is that it is a wake that a guy like me, who can only do like 4 inverts and some w2w stuff can ride and enjoy. It's intimidating, but it's very forgiving. It gives you plenty of pop, but it's not so violent that it's hard to learn on.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 8:34 AM Reply   
Oh, and Walden's riding at 85 feet and I was riding short at 70.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       05-03-2011, 8:35 AM Reply   
That wake looks incredible! I can't wait to check ours up since we upgraded to basically the exact same set up.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
man looks good! any surf wave pics with the new sacs?