Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Mjdupuy)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
I'm looking to buy my first wakeboard boat. I've narrowed it down to malibu 24mxz, mastercraft x46, nautiqe g25. Every time I talk to a dealer all I hear is how there's is great and the others don't compare. I've looked at the mc and the mb but haven't takin the drive to look at the g25 yet. I've been power boating for the past 6 years and my current boat is 39' so that's why I'd like to stay with the larger boats. The few prices I've gotten show the MB much cheaper than the other two. I'm a novice when it comes to wake boarding but I do pick up on things quick so I feel I'd be able to advance pretty fast. Really want to get the best boat possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2014, 5:53 PM Reply   
Big isn't always better in the world if towboats. All three of these are nice boats with the G25 and X46 being a notch above the 24MXZ in my personal opinion.
Others will chime in on wakeboard capabilities but I doubt the X46 has many with experience on the water yet since its a new model. The G will be huge and not conducive to learning but you may be able to dial it back, not sure?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-12-2014, 5:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjdupuy View Post
I'm looking to buy my first wakeboard boat. I've narrowed it down to malibu 24mxz, mastercraft x46, nautiqe g25. Every time I talk to a dealer all I hear is how there's is great and the others don't compare. I've looked at the mc and the mb but haven't takin the drive to look at the g25 yet. I've been power boating for the past 6 years and my current boat is 39' so that's why I'd like to stay with the larger boats. The few prices I've gotten show the MB much cheaper than the other two. I'm a novice when it comes to wake boarding but I do pick up on things quick so I feel I'd be able to advance pretty fast. Really want to get the best boat possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Get whichever one fits your lifestyle best and meets your expectations as a boat owner. You are spending a large chunk of change here. Don't let the internet biased influence your decision.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-12-2014, 5:55 PM Reply   
What will your primary use be? Wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, tubing, family trips out on the water, partying? All are great boats, but some better suit different people for various reasons.

"Really want to get the best boat possible." To you, what would make a boat the best?

The best wakeboard wake - Do you like it rampy/verticle, wide/narrow, hard/soft, tall/short? Do you want it to be versitl able to change and customize it easily? For example, for me, the "best" is super big and tall, very lippy at the top, and hard as a rock. Everyone has a different preference, however.

The best wakesurf wave - Do ride regular or goofy? Do you want it long or short?

Interior - Do you want a really open and spacious interior? Do you want plush and super comfy seats? Do you want lots of storage room?

Is a smooth ride in really rough water important to you?

Do your answers to the afformentioned have a higher priority than the others?

If you could provide a little more insight into what your priorities and expectations are, this community will be more abled to help you.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       05-12-2014, 5:57 PM Reply   
You said you narrowed it down to Malibu , Mastercraft, and Nautique but then go on to talk about MB? I'm confused. Those are all great and as 120K+ boats they should be. I would say your only choice is to actually demo all 3 and see what you like and don't like. You basically know nothing about what you want in a tow boat so honestly nothing anyone says on here is going to get you any closer to getting into the right boat for YOU!! Also MB is a boat brand very independent of Malibu, so if you were referring to the Malibu as MB thats going to confuse a lot of people on here. Personally if it were me and money wasn't any object(which obviously it isn't) I'd go with the G. But thats the boat I feel would best suit my needs out of the 3, doesn't mean it will suit you at all.
Old     (Mjdupuy)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 6:55 PM Reply   
I guess I should've been more specific. Sorry for confusion yes I meant malibu. Would like a boat that I can change the wake on as our skill level goes up. I have friends that are at a very advanced level so would be nice to have it versatile. I would like the interior to be spacious and plush with a great sound system. We're going to use the boat as a family boat to do everything with. I'm going to demo each boat the only problem is there's not a nautiqe dealer close around 4 hrs away. And I do understand that ultimately it's whatever I think is the best boat for me. I'm wanting to know some pros and cons that I don't know. You guys are right I don't know much at all about tow boats. Sorry for sounding so green.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-12-2014, 6:56 PM Reply   
The mastercraft x46's are super sick. With the 7.4 we have gone 50 mph down the river and that big boat handles like a dream. The wakesurf wave is legit as well with just the stock gen2 system. For wakeboarding the stock wake was a solid shape (stock + 400pnp in rear lockers) but I want to experience it slammed to get the full experience.

I have only been on the g25's at the boat show but it is probably safe to assume that they are pretty sweet on the water as well.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2014, 7:13 PM Reply   
Being that new to the sport I'd buy a boat that's a few years old and use it for a couple of seasons. You could get a ridiculously nice used boat for 1/2 or less of the price of the boats that you're talking about. Regardless of how much money you have, why risk blowing tens of thousands in taxes and depreciation on a new $100k+ boat when you have minimal to no experience with the sports these boats are optimized for? In many states you don't even pay sales tax on used boats in private sales so you potentially wouldn't even lose that if you decided you want something else after one season.

Fwiw I have less than $20k in my 23' boat including all of the gas I've personally paid for in the last 4 years (people often pay for my gas) and it meets all of our needs. You'll pay more than that in sales tax and depreciation in the first two months of ownership of the boats you mentioned and you might not even like it.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-12-2014 at 7:16 PM.
Old     (Mjdupuy)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 7:33 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm definitely going to look at some used boats. It is worth it just to save on the taxes. I'm not wealthy by any stretch my power boat is going to pier 57 for them to sell so I can by my new boat. I love powerboats but there really only good for going fast and that's it. Not to mention the insane maintenance and operating cost that come with them.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-12-2014, 7:57 PM Reply   
Oh, you're in Louisiana! I'm in BR. In a private party used boat sale you'll only pay sales tax on what you paid for the trailer. You get to decide what portion of the sales price is for the trailer and what's for the boat. The cleanest way to do the transaction is to write up separate bills of sale for the boat and trailer. Surpisingly most boat trailers in Louisiana, no matter how fancy the boat is, were purchased for "$100". Ha!

Fwiw you can get what I'd consider a very nice wakeboard boat for $20-30k and you can get a ridiculously nice one for $30-50. If cruising with a bunch of people and casual wakeboarding/surfing is what you want then look at older Mastercraft X45s and X80s. You should be able to find one that's 6-8 years old for less than 1/2 of the out the door price of the new 23+ ft boats.
Old     (Mjdupuy)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 7:58 PM Reply   
Damn just realized my question was just like beating a dead horse! Just interested in pros and cons on these 3 from first hand experience.
Old     (Mjdupuy)      Join Date: May 2014       05-12-2014, 8:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. Yeah we're pretty fortunate down in La.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-12-2014, 8:14 PM Reply   
buy two MBs
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2014, 8:18 PM Reply   
Dealer being close would also make a difference to me on a boat like that.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-13-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Personally if I was that new to the sport Id do like others say and buy an older used boat. Lets you get used to boating, find the things you really want in a boat, and then you can blow your load on a 100k+ride
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-13-2014, 9:34 AM Reply   
I think of the 3 boats listed your going to like the G25 the best, it's the biggest and sits higher in the water. It's going to have a slightly more open floor plan than the Bu (accepted short hand for Malibu) and way more open and deeper than the X-46. Of course I've only sat in them at boat shows, you definitely need to get out on the water in these three great machines and feel which one is best from your past boating experience.

Something that has been suggested and I think would be a great fit for you too is look for an X-80. It's a twin engine so it'll probably handle more like your 39' but it should allow you to have more versatility in your water sports play than that big 39'. Of course the X-80 is a big boat by towboat standards but it's quite a bit smaller than 39' and it would give you the versatility that you desire.

Bottom line, if I were you, I would test all three, and try to test an X-80, and I would be leaning toward the G25 or X-80.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-14-2014, 9:22 AM Reply   
Here's an X80 that could be worth a drive to Chicago:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=59383

Asking $69,500 obo but "Owner is looking to offload this boat asap, no reasonable offer refused." That could be 1/2 the price of a G and no sales tax since you're bringing it back to Louisina. You'd only pay tax on that trailer which I'd appraise at $100 ;-)

The wake won't be quite as good as the G but still quite useable and you get a few more feet of boat.

If you buy it you have to take me out on it.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-14-2014 at 9:24 AM.