Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2014, 4:57 PM Reply   
Howdy. I'm planning on removing my rear hard tanks and putting in either 750 or 1100 lb bags. Will the 1100's work or is that asking for trouble? It looks like I just about have the height but don't quite have the width. I'd like it to work off of the factory pumps if possible. Any advice?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2014, 5:34 PM Reply   
We run 450 lbs bags in the back + 700 mid + 800 bow and the wake is great.

750 lbs is about all you can fit back there...I wouldn't go bigger than that.... the boat responds well to mid/bow weight
Old     (broski)      Join Date: Nov 2011       08-13-2014, 5:38 PM Reply   
Hope i can help you here markj. We have a 2008 SAN and run the sumo 900's in each back locker. They seem to fit the space on top of our still installed factory tanks nicely and piggyback off their pump as well. The only problem with running 1k+ in each back locker is porpoising at wakeboard speed. You really need a large sum of weight in the nose to get it to run smooth. If its purpose is for surfing you should be fine running the larger bags. if its for wakeboarding you should definitely start looking into bow weight now as well. what will you be using them for primarily?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-13-2014, 5:48 PM Reply   
Looking for max surf weight. Its a 2005. Just want to know if anyone has done the 1100's and what their experience was like. Thanks for the efforts so far.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Looking for max surf weight. Its a 2005.
When we surf it is usually our rear 450 + Fat seat bottom on the back corner of the seats + people + ~400 bow

Our wave:
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2014, 12:10 AM Reply   
Okay. I didn't make this clear enough. I'm not looking to make my wave bigger. I have weight and placement pretty dialed. We normally have four 350 lb sacks spread throughout (one of those over the factory rear tank) plus factory ballast plus 4-5 guys on board (surf side) while surfing and I'm tired having to fill and stumble over three other sacks. Four 350 lb sacks take forever to fill-even with Tsunami pumps.

I'm looking to simplify here. I'm wondering if I can fit a 1,100 lb sack in the rear locker (after hard tank removal) of a 2005 SAN or if that's gonna be a problem like with over filling and pushing up on the sun pad or it's gas shock etc. I don't want to screw anything up. Maybe it's overkill? I just worry the 20"X20" dimensions of the 750 won't fill that back storage locker all the way and I'll be wasting valuable volume. I also worry that a 1,100 lb sack could do damage if overfilled.

My experience would be so much easier/better/faster if I only had to manually fill one sack with a 3700 GPH pump like the one Ronix makes and everything else was done by the factory pumps as I'm driving. I'm thinking I'd like to get the 1,100 lb Ronix eight.3 sack with the 3700 GPH pump for the cabin and let the factory pumps fill/drain the new rear sack. These hulls can throw a LOT better wave than they get credit for.

Last edited by markj; 08-14-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-14-2014, 4:51 AM Reply   
Go with 750's. I replaced the hard tanks with 750's in my '05 SANTE. When filled for surfing that locker is near full to the top and bulging on the side walls. I don't see how 1100's could fit in there.
Old    cguse13            08-14-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
I have an 05 SANTE go with the 750. Yes you will have some top space left but as it is I have crushed a plastic drain piece until I moved them to be horizontal. I think with 1100's full you would end up just damaging stuff. To be honest I don't think 1100's are needed either.

Having a couple smaller bags to move around and bow weight is enough to sink it nicely.

When I have 4 or more people I actually don't fill the locker 100 percent because it will sit lower than the rub rail and water goes down the side vent.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-14-2014, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
I'm looking to simplify here. I'm wondering if I can fit a 1,100 lb sack in the rear locker (after hard tank removal) of a 2005 SAN or if that's gonna be a problem like with over filling and pushing up on the sun pad or it's gas shock etc.
I can't say 100%, but I highly doubt the 1100 will fill much more than a 750 would.... you'll just waste money on a bigger bag.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2014, 4:59 PM Reply   
Okay thanks. That's what I was looking for. Caleb: I just duct tape that vent closed while surfing as well as the bilge outlet hole. Otherwise that hole acts as a spillway and backfeeds into your bilge. Took me awhile to figure that one out...
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-14-2014, 6:27 PM Reply   

This is two 750s. In a 210. The room on top is saved for jackets and ropes.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-14-2014, 7:05 PM Reply   
I have had 750's for many years in mine and just ordered 1100's. Mine is a 97 supersport so I'm not sure if the locker size changed when they narrowed the gunwales in the early 2000's. My buddy has a 95 and it is dialed right now. We are running 1100's on each side. The triangle sac in the nose and a 400 on the floor. I'm guessing the 1100's don't fill all the way but they are more than the 750's for sure. We really only ride so I can't say how the surf wake is.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-14-2014, 7:40 PM Reply   
I have 750s in my 2003 with a plastic ball valve on them to keep them from siphoning. A handful of times I forgot to open them when filling. The 750s will get so big I cannot open the rear hatches. You cannot get anymore I there than those.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2014, 11:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pic Ben. It looks like those sacks would have room to grow if there were 90 degree angles on those hose barbs. I realize storage would suffer though. Stan: Do you guys just moniter the fill of those rear sacks or do they run into an overflow when full? John: Where would they siphon from? Aren't you filling them with factory pumps and shutting the factory valves when finished?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-15-2014, 4:22 AM Reply   
That pic was before i put in a check valve one the fill line. They fill 100% now and there is hardly any room for anything on top
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-15-2014, 4:33 AM Reply   
Mark- yeah we have a overflow plumbed in. Plus we monitor them
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       08-15-2014, 4:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichter14 View Post
That pic was before i put in a check valve one the fill line. They fill 100% now and there is hardly any room for anything on top
What material did you use on the engine compartment dividers? It almost looks like 1x6 or 1x8 Trex. I'm about to install 750's in my 03 SANTE and that is the only issue I think i will have is the dividers.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-15-2014, 5:32 AM Reply   
I have since replaced the factory pumps with Jabsco due to the siphoning out the bottom through the aerator pumps as well as being able to fill and drain at speed without priming issues. I did a season or two with aertor, but was getting sick of closing those brass ball valves via the engine hatch.

When you fill the 750s all the way I began to have a problem where my overflow was lower than the water line of the bags. And since they were completely full the bags would create a siphon and I would loose a good amount of weight. I put a PVC ball valve on top in line with the overflow to stop this. Also allows for you to really max the weight out. I will get some pictures of the setup tonight.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-17-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
My engine dividers are composite deck boards.

My system is all aerator. Simply put a check valve on the fill line and vent line and it is effortless.

I honestly never mess with ballast. Flip switches ride and go. Flip switches empty and go home. No ball valves unless there is an emergency.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-19-2014, 12:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by broski View Post
Hope i can help you here markj. We have a 2008 SAN and run the sumo 900's in each back locker. They seem to fit the space on top of our still installed factory tanks nicely and piggyback off their pump as well. The only problem with running 1k+ in each back locker is porpoising at wakeboard speed. You really need a large sum of weight in the nose to get it to run smooth. If its purpose is for surfing you should be fine running the larger bags. if its for wakeboarding you should definitely start looking into bow weight now as well. what will you be using them for primarily?

The 900's fit on top of the tanks in the 08? I was contemplating pulling the tanks in my recently purchased 08 and throwing the 900 or 1100 back there. While I know I am not going to be running either one of them full at wakeboarding speeds for surfing it would be great. But if I could just put the piggy 900 on top of the hard tanks and not remove them I may go that route. Safe me some labor.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-19-2014, 2:29 PM Reply   
I got the 1100's installed in my 97 supersport this weekend. Here is the photo. They definitely fill more than the 750 did. I have my overflow lower than the top of the sac so I can't fill it until it pushes out otherwise it will siphon. I'm guessing maybe 900-950 fits in there now.
Attached Images

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-20-2014, 12:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pic Stan. Do you notice that your sack is touching the exhaust riser? That riser is gonna melt your sack and flood your boat-if not, it's gonna shorten the life of that sack big time. Looks like it otherwise fits perfectly. Just gotta figure out a way to protect the sack.

Last edited by markj; 08-20-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-27-2014, 11:34 PM Reply   
Well, I finally just installed the new rear sack today. I ended up removing the starboard hard tank and going with a fly high 750. I also got a fly high 1100 for the cabin. I bought it from Wakemakers.com. They were very helpful. Hoping to try it out tomorrow. Also hoping that this will simplify my whole time out there. I'll try to get pics. May take awhile to arrange that though.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-28-2014, 8:13 AM Reply   
Hey Mark, the 750's are perfect for the rear lockers. With the 1100s you would probably have to reprop your boat or add some significant bow weight (the 1100s WILL melt from the riser they are too big and rub on the engine). For surfing I've really found that running the 750 full on the surf side, 400lbs on the seat in front of that, and about 400-500 in the ski locker is ideal. You can get a great wave with these boats even though they weren't built with surfing in mind.
Attached Images