Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-15-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Any of you guys using them? Where did you pick yours up? What's the kit with the best value?
Changing the filter on my v215 is a real pain in the ass. After a season of being cheap, I'm over it. It's time for a filter relocation.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-15-2014, 3:49 PM Reply   
I got a standard hot rod kit then put on AN fittings and braided lines on instead of the hydraulic lines that came with the kit. Mine is designed for an old Ford PH 8A filter, which is huge, but I put on a much narrower filter that does not occupy as much space. I use a QS2870A. Same thread and sealing ring. The block is a standard older style Chevy small block mount for the filter.
The hydraulic lines that came with the kit were too stiff to give clearance and installation would have been really tough.
Sorry, I don't have pictures
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-16-2014, 7:04 AM Reply   
Jmorlan, I did it on my V215. I feel your pain - that filter is in a very difficult spot on the Black Scorpion. I will try to get you some pics if you like. But essentially what I did was just buy a standard automotive filter relocation kit. I made a bracket that I mounted to the bolts coming up through the hull for the swim platform (a little higher elevation I think. Now my filter is jjust behind the rear panel on the starboard site storage compartment. Mine also uses the huge ford PH8A filter, which is fine (more volume right?). Anyway, the only real trick is to get the adapter plate fastened on so that you can route the hoses to the rear. As you know, there is VERY little space there and the hoses almost have to come straight back once the adapter is installed - if it's not tight in that position... Best of luck
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-16-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
I did this mod on my last boat the same way Art did. It was lots cheaper than the mercruiser kit
Attached Images

Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-16-2014, 10:48 PM Reply   
Harold, I love that you have the hours and date on the filter. I'm going to have to start doing that with mine, and my water separation fuel filter.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-20-2014, 7:07 AM Reply   
Be very careful with the universal remote filter kits. I bought one recently, and my mechanic installed it and dropped the motor in the boat before I had a chance to tell him of my research....

Many of these kits ARE universal in that they will fit a variety of engines. The "universal-ness" is provided for by the male nipple you screw into the adaptor that threads into the stock filter location. The universal kits come with several nipples of various diameters to accomodate being used on a variety of engine blocks.

In these universal kits it is common for the nipple to be too long and the adaptor will not spin on fully up to seating the gasket next to the engine block. The thing tightens, as it bottoms out on threads, so you FEEL like you have it tight and in place, but when you fire up the motor you slowly pump your oil out in the gap between the engine block and the filter adaptor.

Luckily I had this knowledge prior to starting and running the freshly service motor, (new heads) when we put it back in the water. A quick look in the bilge after running a few minutes confirmed my fears... I am still waiting to mill the nipple back down to get the adaptor to seat properly. I have a stock filter on for the time being.

SO.... It you go and install one of these, keep a very close eye on your oil pressure and your bilge. You need to be very vigilant at first to make sure the remote filter kit is fully seated and sealed so it won't leak.

Phil
Kicker
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-20-2014, 10:09 AM Reply   
I don't mind dropping the dough on one specific for the boat, I just can't find one?
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-20-2014, 1:29 PM Reply   
You won't find one specific to your boat. You will find one specific to your motor, which should be based upon the small block Chevy block, unless I am grossly wrong.

So, for example, if you go to JEGS or SUMMIT RACING and then go search for a 350 c.i. chevy remote filter kit in or around your boat's model year you should come up with a kit that will fit.

The rest of the forum posters should be able to comment regarding my suggestion that the Black Scoprion is a marinized Chevy 350. I am also checking with my contacts at Performance Product Technologies. The two owners there were both Merc engineers, and should help us guide you to the right suggestion(s).

Hope this helps!

Phil
Kicker

Last edited by philwsailz; 10-20-2014 at 1:32 PM.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-20-2014, 2:41 PM Reply   
Get the model year of the motor and the serial number. I have someone on the case for ya

Phil
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       10-20-2014, 4:47 PM Reply   
Awesome! The boat is an 05 sanger v215. I'll grab the serial number off the motor tomorrow afternoon.
I appreciate the help!
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-22-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
I've seen the oil filter relocation kit listed on a Mercruiser parts diagram before...it was an option on some of their engines. I think it was like $80 or so. I'd check their website first. I felt like it was more risk than it was worth and I didn't end up getting it.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       05-29-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
Bringing this back from the dead as my boat is in the shop and I'm wanting them to install a remote oil filter. Do you have and pics of you set up art?!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-29-2015, 12:39 PM Reply   
Sorry, I don't. Mine is a standard filter kit for a small block Chevy that uses a PH8A large old style Ford filter on the remote. I put on a small filter from an Audi instead which has the same threads and ring size but is considerably narrower for more room. (a 2870 filter)
The distance from the filter mount to the hull was too close for me to use the hydraulic lines that came with the kit. I made up some braided AN fitting lines that are very flexible instead. I mounted them to the kit adaptor to go on the block. Put the adapter on the block. Put the filter holder on the lines. Then mounted the remote filter adapter. You can put that up or down.
If you get a kit and them mock up what you need you can figure out the line lengths pretty close, and the type of fittings you want to put on. Good luck. Life is much less frustrating after the install.
I guess I'll have to take some pictures of some of my mods when I'm back near my boat, but I get lazy when I'm at the water.

Last edited by rallyart; 05-29-2015 at 12:42 PM.