Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I have a question. I'm 22 years old, financially independent, and have a good job with benefits. This is the most scared I've been in my life as I found out a couple days ago I'll be expecting my first child in December. My question is, should I immediately sell my boat? Having kids so expensive that I'll wind up selling it in the future anyway? The lake is in my blood. It's what I love for. I want to share the same joys with my kid and give him/her the same feeling of loving the water. I make my payments now with plenty to spare each month. I don't live with mom and dad and split rent with my spouse. When I first told my mother and father they were immediately like "well you need to sell your boat". I feel as if I can swing it and realize My time on the water this year will be cut in half if not more. I have had many friends with kids ask "why would you sell it?" Then go on to say having a kid isn't THAT bad. So my question is what are you guys opinions?
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-28-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
Don't sell the boat. Kids love boats. I've been on boats since I was 6 months old and I've had my kids on the boat as young as 3 weeks old. Of course you won't be able to ride as much as you used to but time on the water is great with kids.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-28-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
If you can afford your boat then there is no need to get rid of it. Yes, having a new born will mean that it's going to be a bit harder to get out but I don't think that you wouldn't have anytime at all. My wife and I had our first child 2 years ago and it slowed me down a bit and obviously my wife more but we made it work. My wife knows how important boating is to me so she let me go. We just tried to work around naps or leave early and be back for the afternoon. My son now turns 2 next week and my wife and I will be trying for number 2 pretty soon. That being said I just bought a newer boat so I could take more people and so it would be safer for the kids. Besides for the first few months you are pretty much useless anyway, it's all about mom.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
My spouse LOVES being on the water. But could care less if I had a boat or not. However, she does know how much being a boat owner means to me. Being a boat owner was something I have longed for since a kid. Hopefully I don't have to let it go .
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-28-2014, 8:59 AM Reply   
Sell the boat, set up a college fund, go out on your friends boats for now. Go sit with a financial advisor and ask him what being "financially independent" means. then go sit down with your parents and tell them "mom, dad, you were right".

Congrats on becoming a dad!
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       03-28-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
I'd hold onto the boat, and see how it goes. It's not that hard to sell a boat if things get tight and you find you need to. That being said, kids can be expensive if you go crazy with buying stuff, but it's pretty easily manageable. Buying used items will really help manage costs if that's a concern (and used kid stuff is typically pretty close to brand new anyway), and if you're open to hand-me-downs from other folks you know, you'd be surprised what'll come your way from people just wanting to clean out their closets as their own kids grow. You'll probably end up with more books and toys than you'll need for the first year from baby showers...

My kids love the boat, and have from very early on (have a 3 year old and a 19 month old). You'll just find yourself doing a little more slow cruising or anchoring out in a bay while they nap under the bimini. The biggest hurdle with starting your kid in the boat will likely be getting them used to wearing the life jacket - just put it on before they get in the boat, and keep it on, and in an outing or two, they'll come to expect it for the boat ride.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-28-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
If you can afford the boat after you have taken into account childcare keep it. Currently my childcare costs more than my mortgage it's very expensive but we managed to keep the boat and my youngest is now 2. Both my girls love the boat and I am glad we were able to keep it while the girls where small.
Old     (Ewok01)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-28-2014, 9:12 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of my youngest first trip on the boat, he was 3 weeks old.

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-28-2014, 9:31 AM Reply   
If you special lady breastfeeds and you have close group of friends and family, the first year isn't that expensive. We had more clothes and diapers than we knew what to do with.

As for the boat, you might have to make a tough decision. Do what you think is right. If you can swing it, a boat is a great way to get the family out of the house and keep everyone together.

Congrats on the kiddo. You have a lot of fun to look forward boat or no boat!
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-28-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
They get a lot more expensive when they get older! I have 3 boys 10 8 and 5 and I couldn't imagine a Summer without the boat. All three were on boats as newborns and started skiing when they were 2 and the oldest two wakeboard and surf. The youngest will start wakeboarding this year. It's a great way to make memories for our family and actually gets us all out together.

What you didn't mention was if you were married, or living with this lady and how much time you will be together. If you have a traditional relationship I see absolutely no reason to sell the boat as long as you and her are already spending time on the water together...your beer money just turns into diaper money! Now if you plan on going out with buddies and leaving her at home with the kid that may be a different story!

Life shouldn't completely revolve around having a child, its seems to certainly with your first one, but to keep your sanity you have to keep doing some of the things you love and you will find out your kids will love those things as well.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-28-2014, 9:49 AM Reply   
I see you mentioned spouse above now that I re-read...oops. So, are you saying she has no interest in going out on the boat, but only does so because you like to? That may be more difficult as she may use the having the kid part to stay off of it and then you will feel guilty..blah blah blah. But if she truly enjoys being on it and hanging out cruising than keep it and have fun teaching your little ripper. Mom's get real proud watching little Johnny...I can't begin to tell you how many hours I have of videos of them on training skis...real exciting to watch
Old     (pctarmor)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-28-2014, 9:50 AM Reply   
Keep the boat. My oldest daughter took her first steps on our Moomba, now she is throwing down behind the Supra. She was able to ride at 5 due to growing up on the boat. Its like taking a family vacation every weekend and weeknight we can get out.
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-28-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
If you can afford it, why get rid of it? I initially thought the same thing as you.. I now have 3 kids and still have all my toys. The boat will be a great bonding experience between you and your new family. Congrats on becoming a father!
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-28-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
Kids don't get really expensive until they're teenagers. Hopefully you'll be making more money by then. Don't get divorced and don't have a whole pile more kids and you should be fine financially. It costs a LOT more money to raise a kid in two homes than it does to raise your kid in just one home.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-28-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
Don't sell. You love the boat. Boats don't make financial sense anyway, under almost any analysis. Some things in life are priceless just because they are. (This goes for kids too. If your really knew the cost in advance, and I'm not talking about toddler years, you wouldn't do it.) If the time comes when you absolutely must sell, do it then. But no need to do it in anticipation of some scenario that hasn't even arrived yet.

That said, I would expect to have less time to spend on the boat during the toddler years. But, as the kids get a bit older 5-6+, it will be their favorite thing to do and one of the best family activities you could dream up.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2014, 10:31 AM Reply   
I guess I should have been more grammatically correct when using spouse. We do not have the traditional relationship. I have known this girl my whole life and she finally gave me a chance a year ago. We live together and spend quite a bit of time together. She loves the water but could care less if I own a boat. She isn't exactly into wakeboarding but enjoys watching. I tell her I would like to try to keep the boat for the kid. She is iffy about it lol. You guys are making me feel a lot better about it though.
Old     (jbkriss)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-28-2014, 10:35 AM Reply   
I would wait and see. If you can continue to afford AND USE the boat, keep making payments . If you find yourself not using it frequently, try to downsize to a less expensive boat or none at all for a while. No sense in financing an asset that is depreciating while you're not even using it. My personal situation- it was usually just my wife and me going out; so when the baby came, we couldn't go much because no one in the boat could watch the baby (one rider, one driver). Then we had another child and we were going even less. I sold the boat and bought a less expensive one (no payments). I hardly used that one at all but I didn't mind much because I wasn't paying principal and interest and it wasn't losing much value. However, it was always there when I wanted it. Now my kids are 3, 5, and 7 and are ready and willing to ride. So now we're upgrading. Something to think about is how long your wife will be on maternity leave. Childcare could be as much as someone's income in some cases. I think you mentioned splitting rent. Eventually , you'll have to weigh rent vs. purchasing a residence. So for the time being, I wouldn't rush into a decision. Wait and see how it works out after the baby in born then decide what's best for you and the family. Congratulations and best of luck!
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-28-2014, 10:48 AM Reply   
Our family loves the boat. Some of our best memories are our times spent out on the lake with friends and family. My girls are both stoked that they got their own wakeboards this year. I can’t wait to my little groms out there ripping it up on gear that fits them. When we were younger and first starting our family I had to take care of other necessities such as a home purchase. We did sell our boat at the time. It was necessary and the right thing to do but I regretted it every summer until we were able to buy another one. I don’t ever see us being without one unless some catastrophic event forces its sale. There is lots of good advice from different perspectives here. You need to decide what’s best for your family and work towards the goals you have set out. I like to put things down on paper. Run the numbers of your future expected expenses. Write up a pros and cons list. You will know the right decision once you have done this and then it is up to you to do what’s right for your situation.

Look at that smile after the first time surfing!!!

Congratulations to you and your wife on the new baby
Attached Images

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-28-2014, 10:56 AM Reply   
An all-time favorite pic of mine (2007). These moments pass... They grow up. Take all the opportunity while you can.
Attached Images

Old     (0klahoma_Breakdown)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Given the spouses iffy feelings on you keeping a boat you already have, what do you think the chances are of you ever getting another one after the kids come around? I had one of those freak out moments after our first one was on the way and almost sold our boat. Thankfully I didn't, we only made it out five times the first summer but it was five times introducing a new member of our family to a passion. Keep it, get the kids into boating and the spouse will follow.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       03-28-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
I hope you realize asking us for boat advice is like asking a surgeon if you need surgery
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-28-2014, 11:45 AM Reply   
Having a boat always kept me from doing the super dumb stuff growing up
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-28-2014, 11:57 AM Reply   
You guys are awesome! Exactly the motivation I needed. Needless to say in scared to death to be having a child.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-28-2014, 12:23 PM Reply   
Keep the boat, move back in with mom and dad. Put rent money away for kids college fund. This also solves the daycare expense. Live life.
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-28-2014, 12:55 PM Reply   
If you cant afford the boat and the kid your job may be good but it is not good enough. Dont save for college save for retirement there are no retirement loans or scholarships but plenty of college loans and scholarships.

Boats are all about families and yours is about to grow. We had our daughter in the boat when she was a baby and tubing with us when she was two. Started wakeboaring at 5 and has not looked back. Now she is a 14 year old girl who still wants to hang out with dad - gotta love that.
Attached Images

Last edited by whiteflashwatersports1; 03-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old     (retoxtony)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-28-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
Having a baby will definitely make it harder to get out on the water but its worth it. We actually use to have a spot set up under the helm for our son to sleep in while my wife would pull me. We're expecting our second now and decided to upgrade to a newer and bigger boat. My wife always says that as long as we can afford it, we may as well enjoy it and we can always sell down the road if we have to. Neither of us grew up boating but we enjoy it enough that we want our kids to be able to do it, even if it means cutting back on a few other things.
Old     (naptownwake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2014, 1:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
You guys are awesome! Exactly the motivation I needed. Needless to say in scared to death to be having a child.
keep the boat, sell the baby! ok, I'm sorry...here's my real answer from a proud papa:

If you have your priorities in line, nothing is more important than family...ever. That said, everyone on these forums probably will tell you that some of their fondest memories with their families have all taken place on the water. To me and my wife 'family' is almost synonymous with 'boating'

if your wife (or girlfriend) shares your love of the water, or understands how important it is to you...the two of you will eventually find a way to share your love of boating with your children. passion will beat 'logic' every time.

whether or not to sell the boat or not...there's no easy answer, and it will take some serious number crunching. you also need to ask yourself though...what's more important to you...boating? or your boat? maybe you can't afford your boat payment + simlilac. if you can't, you can't. but you will eventually find a way back on the water. the experience is more important than the boat and the gear. you'll get there either way.

and don't be scared, bro. believe it or not...there will come a time when seeing your baby smile for the first time...or crawl...or whater milestone they hit...will feel better than the time you stomped your first big trick! trust me on this!

hope this helps!
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-28-2014, 6:19 PM Reply   
if you can break even or make money, i say sell the boat. you will be so busy with family, focus on that for a handful of years, save money, on the misc boat insurance, gas, etc. then when wife and child are committed to get back on the water it will be that much sweeter.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-28-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
I say keep it, I got my first due in Sept. I can't wait to have my kid go out on the lake. I thought about selling very briefly but wife said we can afford it so no need to sell. Even if I don't get to use it as much the first year I'm stoked to have my kids grow up with this lifestyle. I wasn't fortunate enough to have a boat growing up so no way I wanna give it up now...only way I'd sell is if I was thinking of upgrading soon anyways, then I'd just wait and buy a new one when the youngin is ready. Didn't you say your worried the "spouse" would let you get another one? May be tough to convince her to get back into another one after it's gone. Keep it unless you have to sell.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-28-2014, 9:40 PM Reply   
Stick with the girl and make it work or the decision to sell the boat will be made for you. Be a good husband and a good dad and you'll have a better boat in no time. Screw it up and you may never have a boat again. I'm not the bitter guy who hates his ex-wife even though I may come off that way. I'm the guy with a successful marriage and on his 4th boat upgrade with a great wife and two kids who love wakeboarding.
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2014, 9:51 PM Reply   
I was in your situation a little over a year ago. We had our first baby at the beginning of last year and I didn't think I would have enough time to take the boat out with a new baby around so I sold our boat in april. It was a bummer being without a boat. But honestly if I had kept it I wouldn't have found much time to take it out. I would've felt pretty bad leaving my wife at home all the time with a newborn. Once we got past the newborn phase though I was ready to be a boat owner again. So in October I bought another boat. I figured our baby would be old enough to hang out on the boat by this summer and we could get back out on the water.

…..then in November we found out we were pregnant with our second due in July. Now I'm back to where I started. I have a boat but will have a newborn in July. I will probably use the boat all I can until the baby comes and then I have to make a decision whether to sell it or not. I will probably keep it though since it's paid for and won't hurt us financially.

If keeping the boat will make things tight then sell it. If not, keep it. Having a newborn around can be stressful and the last thing you want to do is compound the stress by making things tight financially.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-28-2014, 10:33 PM Reply   
I bought my boat because I have kids. If you are comfortable with the financial load then keep it. If it's paid for then keep it.
Life is different when you have kids, better in many ways, but mostly different. You get to start on a grand adventure now.

If you are tight on money and are no going to regret a lifestyle change too much, then sell the boat and get your future started instead of delaying.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-28-2014, 11:11 PM Reply   
First, I say read all these replies as though they're givin by a NASCAR driver in the winner's circle with that same accent. Then, when you're done laughing, realize that you need to marry this girl once and for all so she's not some ghetto baby mama. She's now, the mother of your child. Gotta respect that. After that, you can decide together as partners whether to sell or keep the boat. Regardless, there's many memories coming your way with kids. Don't forget to smell the roses along the way. My fourth is near to flying the coop and I'm only 46. Seriously, they're only young once. I can't lie. I love that my kids now ask me to take them and their friends out on the boat. That would have never happened if they didn't already have a known source of fun with their dad. Good luck creating memories for your kids.

Last edited by markj; 03-28-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old     (bigkid33)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-29-2014, 5:14 AM Reply   
My best advise for you is to have a serious talk with your significant other about your future life together. The most important issues are you, her and the baby. You need to discuss your plans, hopes and dreams for your future together. You will explain to her how important boating is to you and how happy it makes you. Then you have to listen to everything she sees for your future and when you both know each others visions of what will make you happy your decision won't be as difficult as you think. Without a talk like this there will likely be resentment between you over the boat one way or another.

Just 2 cents from a guy with 16yrs and 4 kids with great woman. Good luck and congrats on the baby!
Old     (230Nick)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-29-2014, 5:59 AM Reply   
If you can afford the payments, I would keep it, I've been dang near born and raised in boats. My dad bought a 79 ski nautique in 1984, I was born in 88, and that same 79 SN was given to me 4 years ago.

In the picture is me out in the 79 SN with my dad
Attached Images

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-29-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
Like many have said if you are comfortable with the payment and can afford the child with your boat payment keep it. But what are you figuring the kid adds to your budget? If you are planning to use child care a new child can easily cost you $1000-$1500 a month!!! Thats a healthy baby with no complications. I can tell you from having 3 your not going to use the boat much for at least a year. If you think you can leave the wife home and take the boat out with your buddies….well we all know that goes over real well. So if you can handle the payment with the new costs and are OK with it sitting a lot for the next 1-2 years then keep it. If you can sell it and break even or make money I can tell you from experience you will be money ahead. Otherwise you may end up hating the payment while you are sitting in it in the garage!!
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-29-2014, 6:21 AM Reply   
Scroll back up and look at the pictures. Show the pictures to your spouse.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2014, 6:38 AM Reply   
Like many others I was on a boat at a very early age. My parents asked if we should have traveled more or done different things for vacation growing up. I told them I wouldn't be raising my kids the same way if I didn't absolutely love my childhood.

Here is a picture of our daughter last year. We have another one on the way and look forward to getting them both on the water.
Attached Images

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-29-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Sell the boat, lol. We sold our I/O and BOUGHT our Malibu when our daughter was 6 months old. The only times our daughter hasn't been on the boat is a week last year when the wife and I took a lake house vacation without her, 2 work outings, and 2 days last year in NC. She hasn't reduced our use much (went up a lot last year, actually...she was 2.5 years old last summer).
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-30-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
My mom was pregnant with me being pulled behind the boat. I grew up on the boat my whole life and had a great childhood. I couldn't imagine growing up without a boat in our family. My family still has the I/O that I grew up on but I'm looking to get our own boat in the next few years.
I used to just wakeboard and was content with the I/O with pylon, but after starting wakesurfing last year, I know I need to buy an inboard. I started saving up so I can buy a decent used inboard cash out so I can have my kids (3 yo son, 3 mo old daughter) grow up on the boat like I did and make those everlasting memories. By my calculations I should be able to buy one by the time they are about 6-7 and 3-4.
The great times I had growing up are ones that need to be passed on and shared with my kids, I don't want to deprive them of that. You shouldn't either if you can afford not to.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       03-31-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
I don't have pictures to post, but our girls started going boating when they were very young.. probably 18months to 2 years old.

We had a tube that had a bottom in it and would basically idle around with them in the tube. They loved it and now that they are teenagers, they wakeboard, ski, tube and soon to be surfing.

Unless you have to sell it for financial reasons, just keep it and they will want to go sooner than you realize.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-31-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
How bout for the next year and/or in the winters, you grab a part time job or other source of income, to save some money for safety net. Than if something goes wrong or you have to sell the boat, you wont have to do it in an emergency and take less for it. I agree with most here in that the family memories on the lake will be greater than just about any other time and worth the hassles and expenses of owning a boat. For me, we not let the kids bring their electronic devices on the phone, so it's just quality time with family and friends. Something that is almost impossible to do anywhere else without a fight. Child and healthcare are the critical costs here, if you have that dialed, than you should be ok. Good luck ad congratulations.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       03-31-2014, 8:18 AM Reply   
Been in your shoes man and there has been a lot of good advice, but no one knows your situation better than yourself. Talk about it with your sig. other and make a joint decission. My wife didn't grow up on the water so she didn't have the love for it like most of us do. i did and was in the boat at a month old. That being said we had our first/and only son in Novemember and i can't wait to get him out on the boat. We have been joking about how long till we get him on skis and i want him to enjoy the same things i did as a child. If he likes it once he is old enough to actually enjoy it we will keep it around. if he doesn't then we will be doing baseball, basketball, dirtbikes, whatever it is he wants to do. It's time to man up buddy, your gonna be a daddy and i'm not sure there is anything better!!! Enjoy the ride!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-31-2014, 8:37 AM Reply   
Traded in our 05 for a 2013 Supra. Ordered the boat in Feb. of 2013 and my wife and I found out she was pregnant with twins in March. We talked about it and both decided to keep the boat and make it work. The babies were born December and are on the lake in March. Best decision ever. Here are pics of our twins on the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2014, 8:42 AM Reply   
There is actually a fair bit of good advice on here. I'd say find a way to keep A boat. Childcare is really expensive, plan on that. Otherwise, it doesn't need to be the nicest boat, your kid is not going to care about what year or brand it is, they are going to think its cool no matter what. I think I actually go out more now that I have kids. Its much less riding, but much more "boating." They absolutely love it and it keeps them happy to be on it. All winter long, I've been asked atleast twice a week "Dad, when are we going to get the blue boat out?" As far as going when they are young...it hasn't stopped us at all. Here is a pic of my youngest, 16 days old out on the boat.
Attached Images

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-31-2014, 8:45 AM Reply   
BTW, that picture was more than 2 years ago. They are now 4 and 2, going to be 5 and 3 this summer. Time goes fast.....
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       04-01-2014, 8:29 AM Reply   
Baby life jackets are the best - I forgot how funny they look stuffed in there.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-01-2014, 8:41 AM Reply   
Actually, believe it or not, my wife corrected me last night. That picture was taken when my youngest was 9 days old.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-01-2014, 12:59 PM Reply   
I won't have to worry about childcare. My insurance at work will cover him/her as well. One amazing thing about my job.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-01-2014, 3:03 PM Reply   
My kids absolutely love the boat. It's like getting to go on vacation 2-3 times a month for 8-9 months here in Texas.

Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-01-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
Do your finances, add it all up and see if you NEED to sell it. If you don't, then keep it because if being on the water means what it does to most of us it will bring you a lot more happy times than not having it.

Plus, kids love boats and love being on the water. Our 2 are absolutely nuts over it.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-01-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
First off, congratulations on your new child. How exciting, my kids are the greatest thing that ever happened to us. There is nothing better in life than being a father, it's an amazing experience and goes by quick... Enjoy it! I now have two in college... soon only one left at home.

I say give it a try with your new baby, it might work out great, and if does not you can always sell the boat and purchase again later in life.
Old     (Mattjmc)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-01-2014, 7:15 PM Reply   
Hi first congrats! Kids are the best thing in the world. With that my advise is don't change a thing, make your kids a part of what you and your spruce love to do. My wife and I have lived with that in mind since we had our first boy. Before our first and only we spent every weekend on the lake boating camping and enjoying days in the sun. We had our boy on the water when he was three months old, we actually spent his first bday at the lake with all of our friends and their families. We usually just took him out in his car seat and the vibration of the boat made him sleep and he was always so relaxed when he was on the water. As he grew up he ended up loving to sleep under my feet as I drove the boat, and enjoying playing on the boat and in the water. Now this year he will be four and I plan on trying to get him behind the boat with me on the wakeboard and surf board. He started snowboarding this winter and loved it. So when I talk about wake boarding he seems very excited about trying that. My boy has molded into part of our life and is an amazing child, so just be yourselves and love the water with your kid and you all will enjoy!
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-02-2014, 5:17 AM Reply   
If you plan on taking a break from the water, let the boat got and upgrade next year, or keep it like i did!
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       04-02-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
I wouldnt sell it at the moment. Some of my best memories are on the boat as a kid and with my kid. He is 22 now. I say keep it, even if you have to take a break, take it out for quick runs and clean her up. It will be no time and you will be back out htere.
Old     (swell_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-12-2014, 7:17 PM Reply   
Keep you boat. We bought our first boat when my daughter was a few months old. Boating is one of the few rec sport/activities the whole family can do. I'll admit you won't use it as much as you do now but in a few years it will be part of your best memories!
Old     (dccd45)      Join Date: May 2012       04-13-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
My wife is 5 months pregnant right now. We both grew up on a boat and on the lake. To us there is no better family bonding sport than being on the water. We can't wait to get our daughter out there. I joke with my wife about breaking Parks record, especially since we re having a girl. We actually just sold our 04 Sanger v210 and got a 14 A20. Call us crazy but it was the right decision for us knowing this is going to be our family activity. We re not big on going on big vacations and partying all the time so we would rather put our money into a new boat. The taller freeboard on the A20 was a big plus in convincing my wife (safer for the baby . Keep the boat if you can financially afford it and make them memories your child will never forget.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-13-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
Though I totally agree with a lot of what is said above about it being a great family sport and a great way to help the family spend time together, I pulled something out of your original post. You said you are still renting. Financially, I think owning a home at this point is much smarter than owning a boat as your bring a person into the world. As others have said, there is also other expenses that will come up in the future that you need to think about. You also need to think about getting a life insurance policy. Most 22 year olds don't think about this, but if you are having a kid, this is something that should be extremely important to set them up if something happens to you in the future. You're really young and can always afford another boat, but there are plenty of things that you need to think about on building your families financial foundation. Making payments and having "some left over" won't always cut it.

With that being said, I have no idea what kind of boat we are talking about. If it's an old used boat with a low nut, it wouldn't be as much of a deal as throwing down $1000+ a month on something newer. In the end, you must do what feels right for you, but you have to understand that this is a huge change. I am also expecting my first, but at 34 had already started making life changes that would set up my future family much better.
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       04-14-2014, 4:38 PM Reply   
What boat do you have now? If you cant swing it, or want more financial freedom, down grade the boat. Get a old DD or v drive that is paid off. Im also 22, but I have a 5 year old daughter, and she loves being out on the boat. There's no way I could go without a boat! With the exception of daycare, children really arent that expensive IMO.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-15-2014, 4:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce2320 View Post
What boat do you have now? If you cant swing it, or want more financial freedom, down grade the boat. Get a old DD or v drive that is paid off. Im also 22, but I have a 5 year old daughter, and she loves being out on the boat. There's no way I could go without a boat! With the exception of daycare, children really arent that expensive IMO.
I have a 07 23LSV now. I lucked out!! We have a place at our farm that is open. I'm moving in rent free. All we have to pay is utilities. That doesn't happen often lol.
Old    Paxdad            04-15-2014, 4:34 AM Reply   
Tn rider,
Quit thinking with your dipstick!!! If you sell that boat now you will never ever get another one. EVER!!

Do you see only one child in the photos that other posters put up?? Nope...... So expect one or two more further reiterating my advise to not sell the boat. Its kind of like having a Lab puppy, one will destroy your house but two Lab puppies will entertain one another thus saving your home.

Congrats by the way!!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-15-2014, 11:16 AM Reply   
Chase- That is awesome. I would take that opportunity of living rent free and dump as much money as you can into savings, 401k, college fund for the kid, etc. Not many opportunities come by in your life like that.
If I were to do it over again, I would have saved as much money as I could when I was a teenager living at home to put a nice downpayment on my house and have a much lower monthly nut instead of dumping in tens of thousands of dollars modding my car(s). It's a better plan to save money when you have it than hope you'll get more later.

And yes, two kids, while hard at first, does tend to pay off later. I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old now at 29. The 3 year old can be a handful, but loves his baby sister and helps out around the house with stuff that needs done and taking care of her. Have them somewhat close in age (1.5-3 years apart) to make sure they will still play together, but not so close that you have 2 babies at once.