Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-25-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Hey folks. Looking at a new set of bindings. Way back in the day I rode nothing but LF ultra suctions and they were awesome if you weren't afraid of using some lube to get in After LF stopped making them I found the shane bindings to be soft enough side to side like the ultra sucs were so I've been riding those.

I was wondering if anyone has tried the reboot of the ultras which now come in a CT boot (they originally release them as only OT). I used to love ultra sucs but everywhere I go, i cannot find a review of these bindings *anywhere*.

What i have now is the 2010 shanes. They have a simple 2 lace system with no velcro straps. The newer shane bindings all have velcro straps which I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of. Also, in all my shane bindings, I've had to 3m 5200 the insole in the binding so it would stop peeling half way out every time i took my feet out. I was wondering if anyone has experienced the same issue still in the 13 or 14 shane / ultra CT bindings.

Sorry for the long post, hoping to find some real world comparison between the two.
Old     (AaronT)      Join Date: Aug 2013       09-25-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
I 've been riding the open toe Ultras since 2010 and love them. Great support, great flex, super light. The only issue I've ever had with them came after 2 full seasons when the stitching ripped. I also switched out the laces with shoe strings and really liked how tight they held throughout a whole set.

I had the Shane's as well before they brought the Ultra back, and I liked them but have liked the Ultras much more. Not as bulky and I feel more locked down. I rode a short set in the CT Ultras on a friend's setup, and they performed fine but personally I just can't stand the way CT bindings feel, so sorry I'm not much help with the CT version.

I just got a pair of Bob's B1's as a warranty from LF since they ran out of Ultras in my size, and will be riding them for the first time this weekend. So we'll see how they ride, but I will more than likely buy another pair Ultras for 2014.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-25-2013, 1:57 PM Reply   
Thank you very much for your feedback, this is better than anything else I had going forward. CT vs OT is a preference so your feedback still really helps. All your feedback should still apply to the CT version, thank you very much!

Sad to hear the stitching started ripping out on yours. Funny because that was the issue I had on my 04 ultra sucs back in the day. I guess history is bound to repeat itself. At least LF took care of you on it. They took care of me back in 04 so good to hear that. Really appreciate the feedback thank you so much. Curious to hear any other thoughts as well.
Old     (wakosaurus)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-25-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Personal preference on CT vs OT. Really need to be at high level of Wake to notice a big difference. Im sure any of the Pro's could do they same tricks in open or closed toe bindings.
The Newer Shanes are still dual lace, you can either use the upper lace system for a cranked up feel or take the laces out and use the Velcro for a looser fit, allowing more movement if preffered. Don't be shy of Velcro either, its come forward in leaps and bounds from 2010. I have ridden the Ultra CT and found them super comfy and supportive but a little stiffer than I like, but have all the trimmings of top end bindings, Gel soles etc etc... Hope this helps...
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       09-26-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
wakeosaurus, did you feel the ultras were stiffer than the shanes? I just bought a 2013 closeout pair last night so I guess I will be finding out soon enough!
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-03-2013, 1:17 PM Reply   
Well I finally got delivery of these this week and gave them a set last night. I have to echo the sentiments that they are stiffer than I thought they would be. Old school ultra's (04-05) were all about flex and really liberal side to side motion. When I saw these come out I was expecting something along those lines.

I was surprised to find that this boot is actually quite supportive / stiff. I should temper that with two facts:
1) I really do not like boots that are stiff / supportive.
2) I only rode these brand new bindings one night. To be fair they would probably have broken in a bit over time. The level of rigidity they had out of the box however was too much for my personal taste

Also a major difference in my mind is that unlike wakosaurus posted, the Ultras DO NOT have impact gel soles. They have impact eva (the normal foam in boots).

On grounds of the boot being as stiff as it was AND on the fact that the landings did not feel as cushy as they should (I'm coming from a gel sole boot so I'm used to it and expect it) I felt I had to return it. I will be getting some 2013 shane LTDs in their place (holy yellow batman).

Unless the shane's have DRASTICALLY changed since 2010, I should like them because they should be the same darn boot... Here's hoping I'm not disappointed with those too.

To be fair I still don't think the ultra's are a bad boot, in fact I really hope LF change them in the coming years to be more like they used to back in the day. I would like to see an impact gel sole in them and I would like to see them change the boot liner or do *something* to get that boot to be more pliable / flexible.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
What I like about the Ultras are that they ride the exact same the day you buy them to the last day you ride them. They dont soften up over time. That is even how the LF rep describes them.

So wakeboarder3780, unfortenatly they are not going to get softer for you. I honestly thought they were very soft boots for closed toe boots.
If you want the softest closed toe boots ever you should get the LTD Daniel Grant boots fro 2014. They are basically the LF Index boot in a closed toe. They hold your feet to the board, but provide very little support side to side.
Old     (wakeboarder3780)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-04-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
Thanks Mitch, appreciate the feedback and suggestion. I took a look on liquid force's site and I did not see the bindings you refer to, but did find a page for the rider. I had never heard of him until now. At this point I have the 13 Shane LTD's on the way and I'm pretty confident I will like them as I liked the 2010 shanes. At least with my shanes, they definitely broke in and became more pliable. Indeed the only reason I'm looking at buying another set is because the air bed started taking in water which bothers me from an aesthetic standpoint (I'm one of the most anal people I know - not a good thing, costs me a lot of money in the long run).

Let me know if you have a link to the bindings you are referencing, will certainly be looking into them if the shanes don't work out for some reason.