Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (b20forlife)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-02-2016, 3:31 AM Reply   
I don't have much room in my boat. But have enough room to put 2 wetsounds xs-12s in seperate sealed enclosures. How good do they sound in a sealed box. I know ported is louder but I just don't have the room for a ported box. I will be having about 650 rms to each subwoofer.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-02-2016, 6:00 AM Reply   
The XS-12 works great in sealed. Just make sure they are 1.1-1.2 cu ft. The XS-12 in a sealed sounds really good, they play tight and low.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-02-2016, 8:20 AM Reply   
JL
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-02-2016, 1:38 PM Reply   
I had one xs-12 sealed, with 500w rms to it, now in a ported box in my current boat. It has been a great sub in both configurations and adds quite a bit of thump.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-02-2016, 6:42 PM Reply   
So, Red, tell us which JL woofer is best for this application? Or are you just bored at work again and no nothing about each brand and the given scenario?

Eric,

The SX-12 does quite well in both sealed and ported. Will your 2 woofers be side by side?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 4:46 AM Reply   
Jl 12w3 in a ported box will fit. Air space required is the same as the WS in a sealed box.I have mine powered by a WS htx2'and it pound's.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-03-2016, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Jl 12w3 in a ported box will fit. Air space required is the same as the WS in a sealed box.I have mine powered by a WS htx2'and it pound's.
Not true.
XS-12 sealed. 1.1 to 1.2 cut ft. JL W3 sealed 1.25 cut ft
XS-12 ported. 1.7 cut ft. JL WS sealed 1.75 cu ft

Both woofers require similar enclosure sizes.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 8:49 AM Reply   
My bad you are right. I would still go jl though. I love my wetsounds but quality and supply have gone down. I have had failures each year with wetsounds.
Old     (b20forlife)      Join Date: Jul 2015       08-03-2016, 9:23 AM Reply   
No they are going under the drivers area and on the opposite side on the passengers area. I actually just picked up 2 more. Need another amp now. I'll have a total of 4 wetsounds xs-12's. So hopefully with all 4 going they should sound real nice
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-03-2016, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
My bad you are right. I would still go jl though. I love my wetsounds but quality and supply have gone down. I have had failures each year with wetsounds.
You won't find a bigger fan of JL Audio than me. Not just a fan of the brand name, I'm a fan of the technical engineering that goes into the product.
At the same time, I couldn't disagree more with your comments about Wetsounds quality. For knowledgeable dealers, and I'm remain in contact with many, defects are incredibly low. Application, set-up, tuning, and other factors impact product reliability....ALL product reliability.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 12:17 PM Reply   
Dave you know I do a new system at least every other year. Did a new system this year. So far brand new rev . 10 rgb rings both strips bad at delivery and none were available had to buy another set at full price from a different dealer so I had them for vacation. Also had a crossover break in my new rev 10 all ready this year. Last year it was a 420 eq failure year before that bad crossover in my Rev 4 10's don't get me wrong I love wetsounds and will continue to use their gear but quality is not what it was.
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-03-2016, 12:53 PM Reply   
I had a Wetsounds 12 cant remember the model... whichever is the baddest they make with 1000rms running to it in a sealed box in my last boat and it was perfect. It hit tight and fast with rock music in the sealed box and still had enough power to make the deepest bass on rap tracks beat also. I couldn't recommend enough. I built my box exactly to recommendations on WS website and it was perfect.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-03-2016, 1:29 PM Reply   
H20,

Sorry to hear about your issues. I can tell you that all we do is continue to improve quality every day. We are always looking at ways to improve. Our quality is second to none. Yes, you seem to have had some bad luck, but this is not a norm. We have tooled an enormous amount of new products and updates to current products. We moved into a new larger facility little over a year ago and have just double the size of the new facility just two months ago. I have hired more technical support mangers and product managers to track any and every issue so if there is something we can improve, we do it. We have had amazing growth. But trust me, I am putting the proper things in place to make sure that quality always stays at the to.

You have my email, twhite@wetsounds.com Feel free to email any questions or concerns. Be happy to help and look into it.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2016, 2:08 PM Reply   
Thats some strange luck there HH, i havent seen that number of issues over a 4 year period of doing a system a week.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 2:13 PM Reply   
Tim we are good I love your guys stuff. Found the broken crossover right before vacation and soldered it back together. If I would have had time I would have contacted you guy's knowing you would cover it like always. I would rather have a couple problems then go with the other brand. I will remain a loyal customer. We have a supreme with not much room under the helm. I think we went jl because of woofer depth. My ported box is only 9'' deep with a 3/4 spacer ring for woofer clearance. All other gear is WS
Attached Images

Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 2:15 PM Reply   
Mike not sure why the failures. We pull our boat every time out and it lives in my climate controlled shop
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-03-2016, 4:16 PM Reply   
12w6v3. Sq is amazing and they slap too in 1.2' sealed box. Run that hd750 for the perfect combo. Don't cheat yourself,treat yourself.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-03-2016, 4:22 PM Reply   
And ya I'm always bored at work...killing times on the interwebs. If you can give me 1 reason to go wetsounds amps/speakers/subs over JL (not including customer service,Tim is top notch,as he should be in a growing company) I'll gladly tell you you're wrong.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-03-2016, 4:46 PM Reply   
Quote:
Tim we are good I love your guys stuff. Found the broken crossover right before vacation and soldered it back together. If I would have had time I would have contacted you guy's knowing you would cover it like always. I would rather have a couple problems then go with the other brand. I will remain a loyal customer. We have a supreme with not much room under the helm. I think we went jl because of woofer depth. My ported box is only 9'' deep with a 3/4 spacer ring for woofer clearance. All other gear is WS
Harold,
I see major issues with that sub enclosure. PM me. We'll chat.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2016, 4:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
Harold,
I see major issues with that sub enclosure. PM me. We'll chat.
Uh oh..... Someone's being taken to the woodshed.... Lol
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 5:04 PM Reply   
Dave the box sounds awesome.air space is correct and no port noise but if you have suggestions to make it better im open for suggestions pm sent. And red last boat I did the 12w6 in a sealed box on a arc 1000.1 it sounded great but to be honest the 12w3 in the ported box sounds better
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 5:10 PM Reply   
Dave cant seem to pull up messaging on my phone. Would love to hear your input your advice and service that you have given me through the years has always been spot on
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 5:27 PM Reply   
Box is built from 3/4 birch screwed glued and nailed. Then sealed all inside seams before sending it for rhino lining. Port is 4'' pvc. I beveled both inside and outside of port on the box side and just the inside of port on the exit side. Box is mounted to bulkhead wall with stainless L brackets and screws and elevated off the floor.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 5:56 PM Reply   
Ok Dave I gave you some bad info. Just looked at my build file port is 3''not 4. Port length is 5 5/8'' box dimensions are 22'' wide 20'' high and 9 3/4'' deep plus the 3/4'' spacer ring tuned to 38 hertz. Super happy with how it sounds and with the output. What do you suggest to make it better? ?here is a pic of the space I had to work with as you can see not much so dimension changes are out.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
Red,

Im going to let you sell me on JL over Wet Sounds, as you are dropping JL in all the Wet Sounds threads. Start with the amp setup in this thread

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=806734
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       08-03-2016, 6:44 PM Reply   
I would've stuffed it if it were mine but it looks like you did a bang up job on it.

We just did a box for our 1211 dvc. It's rough getting the right sized enclosure in a place you can maneuver under the helm unless you want to give up more storage. Can't use MDF either which blows. We used marine grade plywood and a butt load of fiberglass on ours. Ended up sounding pretty damn good.

You could even try sonotubes, which I have heard of before if you're in a super tight spot. Lots of ways to get the job done. I'd probably run one sealed one ported if I had the option
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-03-2016, 7:37 PM Reply   
I think H did a great job for what he wanted... He came from a 12w6 with more power and is very happy with his less power and driver class.

But this thread is about the XS12 which is a top notch marine woofer...

Last edited by Truekaotik; 08-03-2016 at 7:43 PM.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-03-2016, 8:00 PM Reply   
For sure sorry for the hijack. The WS sub is top shelf .I have never been anything but happy with the sound quality of any of the wetsounds gear we have owned.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-03-2016, 8:13 PM Reply   
I vote for sealed box. My set up is so cheap...but soooooooo awesome.

My setup: Sealed box, Alpine PDX-1.600M, Polk DXi124 DVC (dual voice coil). Head unit is Alpine and let's you set bandwidth, and frequency, and level...

P.S. I seriously doubt you need 2 subs. One set up and powered correctly is plenty. I don't even have mine turned all the way up.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-04-2016, 6:59 AM Reply   
^agreed. But I'm more about a balance and quality sound over the loudest most knockin setup.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-04-2016, 7:03 AM Reply   
Mike you love wetsounds more then anybody. You should get that emblem tatooed on your lower back right below the tige tat. That would be fresh AF. Go to any top shelf stereo shop and tell them you wanna run wetsounds amps/subs/inboats over JL. Every 1 of them will give you "that" look. You should wear your system boots while you're at it.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-04-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Red,

Not sure what shops your referring to. But ask earmark. They sell both brands and do well with both. Ask Ryan at Chucktronics as he is all Wet Sounds and builds some of the biggest and best systems in nor cal. Ask Tim at Scream Marine in Dallas as he is 100% Wet Sounds. Ask Trey at Hydrotunes in in Austin, they sell both and do great with both. I can go on all day. In fact many of our rep firms across the country represent both brands. Both brands are the top in marine audio. It's all based on what your goals are with your system. Also, Wet Sounds has the most market share in OEM business. The quality of our products are reasons why we are going on our 10th year as a supplier to Tige and others like Chaparral. Also the reason Malibu picked Wet Sounds to provide them with an exclusive audio line that we build just for their boats.

I love when customers have strong brand loyalty. I'm glad you are a JL fan. I have many freinds at that company. But to continue to post on these threads. To me is just out of line and not warranted.

Also, funny you mention tattoos. One of our dealers has a tatto of a wet sounds tower speaker on his arm. Oh, and he is also a JL dealer lol

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-04-2016, 7:17 AM Reply   
No offense Tim I ain't got time got me a tige fish in the line! He's a big 1!
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-04-2016, 8:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Go to any top shelf stereo shop and tell them you wanna run wetsounds amps/subs/inboats over JL.
What do you know, im at one right now, let me ask me LOL

Red, you are the one that wants to plug JL over Wet Sounds. Ive offered you the floor to do that, so sell me on JL. I dont want here what the pros will say, I want you to sell me JL based on your product knowledge of BOTH brands.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-04-2016, 10:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Mike you love wetsounds more then anybody. You should get that emblem tatooed on your lower back right below the tige tat. That would be fresh AF. Go to any top shelf stereo shop and tell them you wanna run wetsounds amps/subs/inboats over JL. Every 1 of them will give you "that" look. You should wear your system boots while you're at it.
Nice...when given the opportunity to argue your perspective you fall back to insults.......

FYI the floor is still yours Red to intelligently get your point across if your capable of doing so....

In fact, I just ordered a brand new 2017 Tige R21 that I plan to fill with my own audio set up...so, make your case to both Mike and I on why I should go with JL over Wet Sounds...
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-04-2016, 11:27 AM Reply   
The OP already expressed his preference in the first post. It wasn't an open question inviting opinions on other brands. At no time did the OP make a comparison to another brand, mention another brand, or make false statements about his brand of choice or any alternate brand. It's very hard to resist the temptation to call out BS when you read it, but the OP did nothing to spark this derailment.
I'm a fan of both brands because they both excel in certain areas. The top two brands IMO, but neither brand is the absolute best at everything and in every category. Making that assertion WOULD BE nonsense. Sure would be awful to not have choices.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-04-2016, 12:08 PM Reply   
To the OP............have a xs12 in sealed enclosure running off 2 channels of an SD6. Sounds good imo.
I'm a JL fan as well and previous boat had MHD amps and 12w3 sub. I was happy with both systems and really enjoy my current setup.
CHEERS
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-04-2016, 3:59 PM Reply   
Intelligently?? Never said I was intelligent. And of course gotta get personal with the insults it's the interwebs. But.....I do know my **** from top to bottom and anything you can do I can do better. #fact
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-04-2016, 4:00 PM Reply   
In all reality ask David when it doubt. I do!
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-04-2016, 7:09 PM Reply   
Answer the question please... You have the floor...
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-04-2016, 10:08 PM Reply   
Like everything else in life...part truth and part marketing...And you can't separate the two. No one is debating that Wetsounds makes awesome stuff.

But David says "neither brand is the absolute best at everything and in every category." But if that is true then the 2 locations that Tim mentions that are 100% Wetsounds are not in fact offering the "best" overall system. But do you think they tell there customers that if they mix up items from different categories they can have a better system? I kind of doubt it. But sure go ahead and provide a correction if you like.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-05-2016, 12:38 AM Reply   
And I'm just over here tossing JL speakers out for fish bait when the new Wet Sounds speakers go in after I get Tim's face tattooed on my buttocks.

Only because the customer heard the difference and knew he wanted loud and clear. I didn't show my tramp stamp though
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-05-2016, 9:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
But.....I do know my **** from top to bottom
Then git to $h!ten..........I have not questioned your knowledge. Simple question. Tell me what 2 JL audio amps you would use to drive 2 pair of 10" HLCD and 3 pair of 6.5" in-boats? The bench mark is 400W rms for each of the 10" HLCD and 145W rms to each 6.5 in-boat.

Next, tell me how your choice of JL amps is better than 2 Wet Sounds SD-6. Please include cost in this as well.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-05-2016, 2:31 PM Reply   
I will question his knowledge.... Let's hear it Red... You one of those internet tough guys that troll forums?? Because that's all I've seen for weeks... So far you havnt backed up one statement regarding your posts...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-05-2016, 2:40 PM Reply   
Harold for the benefit of the rest of us DIY guys, what was the mortal flaw in your box?
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-05-2016, 4:05 PM Reply   
Nothing he never replied. Flawed or not it sounds awesome
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-06-2016, 6:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
I never received a PM. I'm not surprised that a JL Audio 12W3 sounds really good. I know it can sound even better.

Today you can get on line and use any number of box building programs or calculators and you can tune any size of enclosure to any frequency you want by simply adjusting the port. However, you should be considering much more. For example, the total displacement of the woofer used (Sd times Xmax), and how that impacts the velocity in the port, and what the port surface area should be. A 3" I.D. port has a surface area of 7.07". For this 12" sub, I would suggest the port having twice that surface area. Yes, that would make the port much longer and the port displacement greater. Then the box would have to be a little larger, or perhaps a portion of the port could be external to the box.
Old     (BurnMac42)      Join Date: May 2015       08-06-2016, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
I never received a PM. I'm not surprised that a JL Audio 12W3 sounds really good. I know it can sound even better.

Today you can get on line and use any number of box building programs or calculators and you can tune any size of enclosure to any frequency you want by simply adjusting the port. However, you should be considering much more. For example, the total displacement of the woofer used (Sd times Xmax), and how that impacts the velocity in the port, and what the port surface area should be. A 3" I.D. port has a surface area of 7.07". For this 12" sub, I would suggest the port having twice that surface area. Yes, that would make the port much longer and the port displacement greater. Then the box would have to be a little larger, or perhaps a portion of the port could be external to the box.
Posts like this make my head hurt and want to just push two 10" FA's lol....

Then again I'm just a dumb business guy...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-07-2016, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:

If you ever did decide to rebuild a box, I've found that the JL customer support folks are very good about giving you a design/cut sheet if you give them your external dimensions. I did that for a 12w6 and it sounds really nice even though there design has a port dimension that seems like it should be noisy.

David can make it seem like box design is rocket science (and it kinda is) but the nice thing about JL is that you have a team of rocket scientists on the other end who will help you.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-07-2016, 7:10 AM Reply   
So here is the deal you pick the gear you cant let the boat decide. You have to work with tthe space you have. I considered doing a longer port but it would have to have been side mounted. When building the box and calculating internal air space I did Like Dave says. I subtracted woofer and port displacement from total internal air space .Wrong or right it sounds and looks great and the box is bullet proof. No plans to change it we buy a new boat every two years
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-07-2016, 7:19 AM Reply   
Also to change port length you would need to change port diameter as well. Just adding length to the 3'' port would change the boxes tuning frequency. I did consider port velocity and the measurement from the back of the box to where the port starts. The port moves tons of air that you can feel.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-07-2016, 8:59 PM Reply   
I had a sealed XS12 in my system before I did some fiberglass removal to allow enough room for a ported box. At spring ride 2008 one of the local boat stereo shops hosted a sound off. A db drag was part of the sound off, my boat did something like 128db. Good enough for 3rd beating quite a few mightier systems. That little box/sub combo was very tough to beat considering the time and effort. Highly recommended.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-09-2016, 4:57 PM Reply   
Awww where did Red go???? Lmfao...
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2016, 6:14 PM Reply   
^^^He's been at the emergency room, being treated for an infection caused by the cheap JL tattoo on his lower back, of course.