Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-06-2015, 11:27 PM Reply   
My cousin is looking at the <$20k range and wants a V drive. Amonst others, he has found a couple calabria ProV 's. I know almost nothing about these. I have never ridden behind one. Can you please tell me how the wake is, handling, surf wave? chop ride, overall quality, year/hull changes?

anything would be great. Thank you.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-06-2015, 11:30 PM Reply   
Google has some information and videos for you.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-07-2015, 5:27 AM Reply   
I had a 08 Team V. They have tons of room for everybody, decent wakeboard wake and a outstanding surf wake. If I remember right the Pro V's have 900lbs of ballast and the Teams V has 1200lbs of ballast. Fit and finish was pretty good in our boat. My only dislike was that the freeboard is low and it seemed pretty easy to take waves over the front.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-07-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
I have an 08 Team V 300+ hours. Only needed regular maintenance- the only weird one was the rudder packing but I learned that it can wear faster if the boat is heavily loaded. The glass and vinyl seem fine (middle of the road).

Jarod nailed everything.

I surf with about 2k lbs and wakeboard with the stock ballast 1100lbs.

My only major gripe with the boat is where the tower is mounted to the boat (side of the gunwale) and I always hit the trailer guide posts with the tower causing what I call a 'pinball reaction' until the boat centers on the bunks.
Old     (OneCent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-07-2015, 9:22 AM Reply   
to be honest - with 1200lbs ballast i would be surprised to get a "outstanding surf wake" - not for 2015.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-07-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
The wake is not outstanding compared to new, but for it's time it is pretty good. We have fought with the perfect pass a bunch, but think we have it close to dialed in. All in all, a big boat with lots of room and good everything else. I think for the money it is a god deal.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 9:32 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 Calabria Pro V 2. It has been a great boat. The surf wake is great. You will need to run full ballast and extra fat sacks in the rear compartment, what ever side you are surfing on. it handle really well in chop. wake boarding wake, at 65 feet back is very nice. The room in the boat is great. You will not go wrong with it. The ballast pur vert is the best, and the trim plate really works will to shape the wake. Just my two cents. if you have more questions please message me.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-07-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
I haven't seen a Calabria with a good surf wake yet, not to say they aren't out there............
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 10:14 AM Reply   
anthonyv911, I really sorry you haven't seen one, But I weigh 290 and I can surf no problem behind ours.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
Pro V 2 surf wake

Name:  IMG_2453.JPG
Views: 2500
Size:  55.2 KB
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Wow rob looks like a little guy
That's a great looking wave
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
Hey rob, what's your setup? I have an older ProV. The fit and finish are pretty decent, like others have said lots of room. Kinda low freeboard so you have to be careful to not take water over the front on rough days. The wakeboard wake with the stock is ok, gets pretty good with some extra weight. Cleans up at a relatively low speed. The pure vert ballast while not a lot of weight, fills and empties very quickly ( less than a minute 700 pounds ). And most come pretty loaded, ballast, PP, shower, heater. If you have specific questions just ask. I added 4 bags on reversibles with Y valves and its probably all the boat we'll ever need. I also made a DIY surfgate for it that does pretty well.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 1:38 PM Reply   
Bill- our set up is full ballast, trim plate all the way up, 350 pound sack in the rear compartment, 5 people sitting on the port side, One person sitting on the port side sun deck(rope person) and around 10.5-11 MPH. If you have the Pro V you want to use 500 pound sacks. I would like to see your surfgate set up. Very interested. some times I will stick another 350 pound bag one the floor leaning to the port side, it depends how may people we have.

Last edited by rbeckei; 07-07-2015 at 1:41 PM.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 2:00 PM Reply   
When you say trim plate all the way up are you meaning like having it not there? I think I need to get the adjustable trim plate. I have 750s in the rear lockers, 375 under the seats and another 300 pounder I can put on the seats. But I like having the boat mostly level, way easier to drive. I can snap a few pics of the gate I made its not that pretty but it works decent.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
I have a power trim wake plate. So when the gage show in full up position, the boats rear sits lower in the water. . when we are cruising I trim the plate all the way down, it lifts the boat out of the water. when we are wake boarding I trim it half way up. here is a picture of the gages. the middle gage is the trim plate gage. the picture is not the best.
Attached Images

Last edited by rbeckei; 07-07-2015 at 2:21 PM.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 2:35 PM Reply   
Well too bad I cant just call Calabria and get a power one, plus I'd love to get a new glove box.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-07-2015, 2:40 PM Reply   
bill- you can still call them, they are still being made. but I would call lenco actuators.(goggle them) They are the manufacture of the system. Calabria just buys them and installs them. It would be a lot cheaper.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 3:35 PM Reply   
I've tried to call them a few times. I'll get some pics of the surfgate I made attached.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
Here's the DIY gate
Attached Images

Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2015, 8:03 PM Reply   
this is the one i made last year on my pro v II
i have a new one out of alu. that is adjustable i will post pics when i get it put on
Attached Images

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-07-2015, 8:49 PM Reply   
What's your weighting Mark? And can you take a rear pic shwing positions and angles? Your wave looks a little better than mine.
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-07-2015, 9:21 PM Reply   
i can i have a new one im just finishing that i have out of alu. that i got cut on the lazer, it fits againt the swim platform brackets and im making it ajustable, i leave my boat at the lake durning the week so i will shoot some pics this weekend i have the wave a little cleaner that the last pic i posted that was from last fall. i will look and see if i have any other pic's what is everyone running for a prop, im still on the stock OJ but i have an ACME that is the same pitch that i was going to try, was thinking i might prop it down a bit. i will attach a pic of the new one im working on, i just have to finish putting the adjustable brace in place, but i need some Uchannel first.
Attached Images

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-07-2015, 10:39 PM Reply   
wow, thank you for all your responses an information. I appreciate it all. Looks like the surf wave can be very good. I have never ridden the calabria wake, what other, more common, wakes are similar/same to the pro v? fyi I have ridden the OG xstar, Air nautique, pre 2007 SAN, post 2007 SAN, tige 22v, supra 24ssv, supra 22ssv, supra 21v, malibu wake setter DD, malibu VLX pre 2005, malibu VLX post 2005, malibu VLX post 2009, 2002 moomb xlv, and a bunch of new boats... I guess what I am asking is it a steeper wake, old san 210, or more rampy wake like a malibu, and when heavily weighted how is it? Thank you.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Johnny- It is a rampy wake. with more weight it get bigger.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2015, 8:28 AM Reply   
This is the only picture I have on my computer. You can see the angle of the board, and how my knees are bending. This is 65 feet back. It can make big boys fly. LOL
Attached Images

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-08-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
Rob.b that wave looks pretty good! Just sayin all the Calabrias on my lake are having trouble..... I'll refer them to this thread!
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-08-2015, 1:51 PM Reply   
So, dumb question, but does the surfgate go on the side of the rider and does it protrude outward a little bit? I trimmed my swim platform edges a little, which helped clean up the wake for surfing, but I'd like to deepen the pocket and clean it up a little more.

I have an 06 Pro V. I switched out the fixed trim plate with an adjustable trim plate. Helped a lot. Plate full up for surfing, 25-50% for wakeboarding, full down for cruising.

Wake is great for wakeboarding, but unless I have a lot of people on the boat, I have to keep the rope pretty short. For wakeboarding, I just run the internal ballast (700lbs total) and for wake surfing, I fill the internal on the riders side, plus I have about 1000 lbs of fat sacks in the locker.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       07-08-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
The surf gate goes on the opposite side of the rider.
fill all hull ballast and 500 in back compartment and 500 on the floor leaning towards the port side or on seat. If rider is on the ports side. then play with speed and trim plate.
Old     (Tigro)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-09-2015, 4:04 PM Reply   
So does the Surfgate help that much? I have seen a lot of posts on the web where the gate didn't help. If it does help, what are the dimensions and angle that you guys have found works the best? Also, does the boat steer OK with the gate on? I've heard that can be an issue too.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-09-2015, 4:27 PM Reply   
I guess it all depends on the outward angle. Mine isn't that far out. I've experimented with several angles and shapes. My latest one seems to work pretty good. Not sure if the wave is any better or worse but depending on where you surf ( lake conditions ) a level boat is much easier to drive and keep dry. So to me it's the better way to go. The steering isn't that bad you just need to turn with the gate and not against it.
Old     (auscalabria)      Join Date: Jul 2015       07-31-2015, 3:54 AM Reply   
Hay every one good to see same recent calabria talk just brought a 09 team v month ago in Australia they dont seem to be very popular in the us and even less popular in au very few and far between. we looked at 2 tige 1 supra and a moomba i thought the calabria was the boat for us had all the goodies we needed and looks the part. only really learning so didn't need a huge wake yet. good to hear all the set ups for surfing and wake, still to cold over here so have not used the boat yet . keep the talk going keen to see what every one else has done or is doing.