Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-14-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
I am looking to add a pair of Rev10's to my tower. I already have a Rev410 on it.. The problem is how to power the Rev10's. The boat already has 4 amps as listed:
JL Audio XD400/4 powering 2 pair of JL Audio 7.7 components
JL Audio XD600/1 powering a pair of JL audio 10 inch free air marine subs
JL Audio XD600/1 powering a JL 10 w6 sub in a bandpass enclosure: This thing rocks.
Wetsounds Syn2 powering my Rev410. And this thing rocks.

With 4 amps I am worried about adding a 5th. Ideally I would add the Syn4 bridged to power the REV10's. The other option is to remove the Syn2 and replace with an SD6 to power the pair of REV10's and the Rev410. The concern with that is now the Rev410 has a little less going to it and I really love how it is dialed in right now. Also the SD6 is much more expensive than just buying a Syn 4.

What recommendations do you all have? Cost is definitely a huge factor so the SD6 really looks unappealing. I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks all.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2013, 11:40 AM Reply   
I don't think you will hear much of a difference between a Syn2/4 combo and an SD2 on a 3-Some. It's really a matter of the footprint versus the cost.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-14-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Dave,

Thanks. I always highly value your advice. What about power draw? If I had the 5th amp I will probably drain my batteries much faster. Right now I seem to have a pretty great reserve. What do you think? GF
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2013, 4:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorx4 View Post
Dave,

Thanks. I always highly value your advice. What about power draw? If I had the 5th amp I will probably drain my batteries much faster. Right now I seem to have a pretty great reserve. What do you think? GF
The actual number of amplifiers will have no real impact on current draw as there is only several amps difference at idle as you add an amplifier. The current draw will be from the total power regardless of the number of amplifiers, the efficiency of the topology (whether Class AB, H or D for example), and the efficiency resulting from the load (as you lower the load impedance all amplifiers will operate less efficiently).

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-14-2013, 5:39 PM Reply   
Dave,

Thanks. I always highly value your advice. What about power draw? If I add the 5th amp I will probably drain my batteries much faster. Right now I seem to have a pretty great reserve. What do you think? GF
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-14-2013, 5:49 PM Reply   
Dave,

Couple more questions. Are the SD amps a lot more efficient and would that help? Or not worth it at this point since I already have a Syn2 so buying a Syn4 now would be much more cost effective?
Also, if SYN4 is the best option at this point should I consider JL HD750/1? Thanks for all of your help. I will be calling Odin in the next few weeks.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-14-2013, 6:58 PM Reply   
George,

I recently switched from the Syn-4/Syn-2 Rev 3-Some to the SD-6 as you are contemplating. I did not detect a difference in output from the Rev-410 going from 700W rms to 585 RMS. There is a difference in out put on the rev-10's going from the Syn-4 to the SD-6, but is dialed back in order to balance the 3-Some.

Space: a single SD-6 will take up less space then a Syn-2 and Syn-4.
Current draw: A single SD-6 is more total watts RMS then the Syn-4/Syn-2 and more efficient.

Not a huge difference between the 2 setups current draw wise. If you can either sell or reuse the current Syn-2, then go with the SD-6. If not, just add a Syn-4
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-16-2013, 7:15 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave and TigeMike. I really appreciate the responses and advice.

I am leaning toward adding the extra amp with all the info that has been provided. Now I am wondering can an argument be made to add the JL HD750/1 over the Syn4 or vice versa? I really like my JL amps and since the JL HD750/1 is a class D instead of a class H does that mean it will be more efficient?

I would appreciate more advice. Thanks GF
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2013, 9:35 AM Reply   
Well the Syn4, being Class H is going to be a big improvement over Class AB. Class D is certainly more efficent than Class H. But the Class D to Class H comparison is a much smaller gap than between H and AB which is a big one.
The HD750/1 is a little more power and the HD750/1 is strictly regulated so it maintains its full power even with a voltage supply reduction.
So now you have introduced three scenarios in order of power and cost.
SD6. Class D.
Syn4/2 combo. Class H.
Two HD750/1s. Class D. (and strictly regulated).
Each one becomes progressively more powerful and progressively more expensive.
Comaparable values considering the power and cost differences.
Since you haven't doubled you power with any choice, it's not going to be a 'WOW' difference.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (floorx4)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-17-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
Dave,

Once again you always have the most informative posts. The option missed is that of me keeping my Syn2 for the Rev410 and just buying 1 more amp. Either the Syn4 or the JL HD750/1.

Is there a draw back to running a Syn2 to Rev410 and a JL HD750/1 to a pair of Rev10's type setup?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-17-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by floorx4 View Post
Dave,

Once again you always have the most informative posts. The option missed is that of me keeping my Syn2 for the Rev410 and just buying 1 more amp. Either the Syn4 or the JL HD750/1.

Is there a draw back to running a Syn2 to Rev410 and a JL HD750/1 to a pair of Rev10's type setup?
No serious draw back. One amplifier would change power from a 13.5 supply (maximum voltage when underway) to 12.0 volt supply (minimum voltage when at rest) while the other would not. And it's a difference that is on the threshold of audibility at rest but not audible when underway. So you would be setting the gains in the middle at 12.7 volts as to cut any differential in half.
If I started with the Syn amplifier I might stay with the Syn line just for cosmetic uniformity. It may not be a technical reason but it would weigh in for me.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (DEMENTEch)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-23-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
David,

Which would be the BEST amps set up to running (1) Rev410 and (6) Rev10 ?...
(2) SD6 ??...

Thanks in advance!