Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-08-2015, 7:03 PM Reply   
Well I have been lurking on the surf side. Mainly surfed as a last resort. However I find myself grabbing a surf a little more these days. Been doing a little searching and I am in the market for a surf style board. Riding an 08 210 so pretty decent surf, but on the shorter steeper side.

I have ridden
-Ronix Parks Thruster
-ShredStixx Thresher
-Byerly Hazard
-Walker F18

I really liked the way the Thresher performed in its aspects except for speed. It just seemed like I really had to pump the crap out of it to get any performance.

Liked the F18 as well a Walker is just a little more than I want to spend

I also liked the speed of the Ronix Thruster, but its surf carves and pearling were an issue when you pushed it.. Great "boat" board you don't have to really work.

I don't surf nearly enough to justify an 800 custom deck so the Triple X Line kind of caught my eye. Really like the looks and they seem like a legit board. So now I need to decide on which model. they Slayer Pro X or the Nitro Pro X. I just like to carve, catch a little air and do an occasional 3. Looking for a faster board I don't have to pump the entire ride. Lots of older reviews but no current ones to help on the Triple X line

I was also tossing around a Byerly Buzz or Hyperlite Shim ....... if anyone has any comments on those as well they are more than welcomed
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-08-2015, 8:04 PM Reply   
If you liked the Thresher and Walker Project you will be disappointing with a Triple X or one of the Byerly/Hyperlite boards.

Like the Ronix, those boards have a flatter rocker which makes them fast, but when you start riding them hard they do not respond well. They are easy riders

More rocker makes the board a bit slower, but you get more response and can carve a lot harder.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-08-2015, 10:21 PM Reply   
I liked them in the essence of the way they rode. It was more liking them for their surf style feel. I don't think I have been on enough boards to actually say those two were for me. So what would be a good blend then of speed and carves for the steeper wake?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-09-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Much like Mitch said, the old thresher and the F18 lean towards ocean surfboards, they are designed for constant movement/carving. I don't really make the thresher any more. I make a high performance board similar to it in basic looks.

The boards you mention are all economical, and if economy is the main factor then you will likely be happy with a sub $500 board.

Knowing your height and weight will help with recommending a board model, but in general if looking for more speed, I usually recommend a Chaos Sixer or Ringer.

Nick
Old     (03suprassv)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-09-2015, 4:14 PM Reply   
I just purchased a nitro pro x and a composite pro x that were used at the surfest in Georgia a couple weeks ago. They were only demoed for the weekend. I picked them up together for $500. The nitro is great compared to the cwb ride and another shorter cwb that we have. I'm not a pro so these new boards are good for me. The composite is a little hard to get used to as it is a skim style board with a very small removable center fin. For the money they are great boards. I'm not a pro and don't see spending 500+ on 1 board. They are local to me and sometimes they have scratch and dents also. Give them a call before you buy and see if they have anything.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-10-2015, 3:12 AM Reply   
Adam, pick up a larger fin for the Composite pro x and you should notice a difference in how it rides.