Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-11-2014, 4:12 PM Reply   
What's the best thing to look for in a handle? They all kind of seem the same to me.

Also, just for a discussion question, is there anything you'd like to see in a handle that doesn't exist? Cable or boat.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-11-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
Best option is to go into your local shop and find out which feels best in your hand. Diameter, width, foam/chamios/stitched/special grip, wrap handle, etc. are all different from handle to handle. It doesn't really come to mind until you have to ride with a handle you don't like. That's when you realize how important a nice handle is. I steer clear of anything gimmicky, which means those weird One handles Ronix did with the super bumpy grip, the carbon handles that have kinks in them, and a few others. (Note: the 40/Love handle from Ronix is actually really awesome, even though it falls in the gimmicky category.)
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-11-2014, 5:50 PM Reply   
Yeah I saw those handles that had the "airbags" or whatever in them. No one really had anything good to say about them. Seems like they would just be distracting. Does anyone have suggestions of what handles are good, and why you like them?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-11-2014, 5:59 PM Reply   
Definitely go to your local shop and try some out. Find one you like. As far as ropes go, I feel like the Ronix ropes seem off to me after riding accurate or proline ropes. Ronix feels a couple of feet longer to me than what I am use to riding. Get a nice rope and handle and take care of it. It will last you a few seasons. Bring it with you like you would bring your board and vest with you to ride on friends boats. Being comfortable helps your execution.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-12-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
I've always used accurate over the years for ropes and my handle is the SL Lyman promodel, very hard to find now
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       09-12-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
Straight Line Team Pro handle is my choice, love the grip/material.
http://slsports.com/wake-team.html
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-13-2014, 9:51 AM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the info. Does anyone ride at a cable that offers night riding? Never heard of one that does but if it was lit properly it could work. And how cool would it be to have a light up or glow in the dark handle for that use?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2014, 1:17 PM Reply   
I really like the Byerly handles. Thinner diameter for my smaller hands.

You can't go wrong with a Chamios grip. It makes the handle stick to your hands. Downside is they don't last nearly as long as the EVA grips.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-13-2014, 4:09 PM Reply   
I really like the Ronix Parks handle, super grippy. I had the "one" before and the parks is even better. Some of the guys iny crew call it the "Cheese Grator" but I hate those soft handles that are kind of squishy and almost slippery. The more tacky the grip the better.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-13-2014, 4:52 PM Reply   
I dig the Proline Lg2. Ive had mine for about a year and its held up well (after adding some glue to the end caps. We got custom ones made in white if anyones interested.
Attached Images

Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-13-2014, 6:42 PM Reply   
I had this one for the last 5+ years, and its still holding strong. Looks like new still.

Straight Line Grail Carbon Handle

Last edited by kronoss; 09-13-2014 at 6:45 PM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-13-2014, 6:52 PM Reply   
I've been riding 1" hardwood dowel all summer. My handle broke ( it was 5 years old) and I had no chance to go by the shop so I strung it up for a weekend and I never bought a new one.

I have a gentle grip and I ride a bunch of cable so it suits me fine.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-14-2014, 4:24 AM Reply   
I've tried a lot of different handles in the last two years and by far my favorite is the Accurate Webb. It's cushy but still has a ton of grip. It seems hard to find that combination. I have bigger hands so the Webb is perfect for me but if you have small hands the Murray is a good bet and you'll notice a lot of pro riders using his handle that are not sponsored by accurate.
Old     (revolutionwake)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-22-2014, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely check out some of those options.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       09-22-2014, 6:56 PM Reply   
I really like the carbon handles. But pretty sure they stopped making them due to a patent infringement