Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-17-2010, 11:33 PM Reply   
Would you still be a wakeboarder if there was no party scene involved?

Would you still be a wakeboarder if there were no girls hanging out in bikini's?

Would you still be a wakeboarder if there wasn't a boat load of girls watching you do a raley (aka... do the superman thing)?

Would you still be a wakeboarder if there was no Ski Beach?

Feel free to answer and add your own questions......
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2010, 12:54 AM Reply   
yes
yes
yes
yes
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 1:28 AM Reply   
None of them things I have maybe I need to quit
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-18-2010, 5:49 AM Reply   
Can't really say anyone in my crew is down with any of the above mentioned. Plus I prefer riding in the mornings, the beach is dead, no girl I know would get up that early to come out.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 6:22 AM Reply   
Wakeboarder till I die I will be, with or without those things. Long Live Wakeboarding!!!!!!
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
absolutly. we dont party. no beer, hardly any music. alot of time no freinds just us two. its all about the riding and progressing ourselves.
Old     (lakeguy77)      Join Date: May 2002       07-18-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
Absolutely I would. I started wakeboarding when one of the dudes I used to waterski with brought a wakeboard along. Because we were in our late 20's by that time already, we had significant others tanning on shore who didn't want to come in the boat. We sucked, and still suck, so no women want to watch anyways. My current GF came along last summer and tried it, liked it, and I got her her own board this past Xmas. But really wakeboarding for me hasn't been about women and parties, it's been about family, friends and fun on the water. That's it....and I haven't touched a waterski in about 10 years, aside from when I stashed them in the rafters of my boathouse about 5 years ago to get them out of the way.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-18-2010, 7:27 AM Reply   
no
absolutely not
nope
wuts a ski beach lulz
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-18-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
Yes, we rarely ever stayed tied up to a gang of boats all day, and riding is always the main focus of taking out the boat.

Yes, most of us are married, so the girl in bikini thing is usually our wives.

Yes, we try new stuff to push ourselves and keep everyone motivated, not to show off in front of a girl.

Yes, never heard of ski beach.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-18-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Yes to all of the above. When I started to learn to wakeboard, none of that was really a part of it at all. We were just learning how to do this "wakeboard" thing. The board got me hooked, the rest is like icing on the cake haha
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       07-18-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
When ever I have taken a girl, all they do is winge. I'm hungy, I'm thirsty, It's too hot, blah blah, so always leave the missus and her friends at home, makes for much more enjoyable day.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-18-2010, 3:50 PM Reply   
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

It's like snowboarding. I love to ride but I would not mind if I took a hot chick with me who wanted to snowboard in a bikini.

And I do not object when the lodge has a bar.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-18-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
POON i can't say yes to any of those questions. i wakeboard for the same reason i ride dirt bikes and sport bikes and raced go carts. the thrill of the event and the challenge of getting better at it .WHY DO YOU WAKEBOARD?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-18-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
Yes, screw ski beach sounds like a trash infested *expletive* hole full of posers to me. I don't need to go wakeboarding to party, and chicks come and go.
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-18-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
Yes.

Sounds like some of you guys are hanging out with the wrong girls.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-18-2010, 10:40 PM Reply   
Robert, the thrill of it... that is what its about. Awesome.

WHY DO I WAKEBOARD? I don't really wakeboard to tell you the truth...Not enough bikinis, boat loads of girls, and i can't do a raley. On a more serious note, the rush of landing a new trick or watching my friends and just pushing each other to try new stuff.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-19-2010, 2:39 AM Reply   
None of those things where ever part of wakeboarding for me, our club has the only wakeboard boat on the lake, it's too cold (even now mid summer) for bikini's and I've no idea what a ski beach is.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 4:20 AM Reply   
mmm
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-19-2010, 4:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
Plus I prefer riding in the mornings, the beach is dead, no girl I know would get up that early to come out.
I'm that girl - first one out, last one off. We do exist.

I wakeboard for the thrill of it mostly. Doesn't matter if anyone is watching, partying, wearing bikinis, etc. All I need is a boat, board, rope and body of water and I'm good.
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-19-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Yes to all the above I ride the early morning glass and then the drinking and bikinis come out in the afternoon when the water is crap. I think most people would still ride, the real question is would we still have these high dollar blinged out boats with huge stereos?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Not specifically being those things ARE what makes a wakeboarder, otherwise, it's just a boater
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-19-2010, 7:53 AM Reply   
POON i knew you were a wakeboarder! if not because your on this site. other than the boat bun and boobs for ballast thread why would you be?the only reason i know of those threads was curiosity.LOL honest i didn't look at any of those girls oops!
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-19-2010, 8:02 AM Reply   
Don't havge too much of any of these, so......YES!

Would you be a wakeboarder if you lost an arm/leg/both
YES, I'd find a way
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-19-2010, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrider92 View Post
Don't havge too much of any of these, so......YES!

Would you be a wakeboarder if you lost an arm/leg/both
YES, I'd find a way
Our neighbor at the lake likes to tell his guests that knee boarders are people without legs.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-19-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yes, but everything mentioned is just icing on the cake
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
I am curious as to why no one has said what a Ski Beach is, but a bunch of the post people are saying they don't even know what a ski beach is. Well can someone please tell me what it is?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-19-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
it's the Delta's party cove
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-19-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
this is ski beach on any given Sunday.
Attached Images

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-19-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
a true wakeboarder rides for the ride. those are bonus' though.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-19-2010, 2:21 PM Reply   
^^^ I stay as far away as I can from there...
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-19-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
if we didn't wakeboard for those things we would do something else for those things hahaha we ride on a non party lake so not much of those things anyways. we go somewhere else for that, we like glass!!!
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
wow that just looks way to freaking crowded.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-19-2010, 4:25 PM Reply   
I wakeboard for myself and no other reason.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-19-2010, 4:32 PM Reply   
EXACTLY, those are only perks.

Although a bit altered, Spicoli said it best, "Well poon I'll tell you, wakeboarding's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wake and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"
Old     (d4m0)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-19-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
yup would definatly still be a wakeboarder nothing better than just being on my board out on the water...
and me personally wouldnt wanna go near a ski beach how r you gonna get good water with a million people and there boats there lol?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-19-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, how can you ride with the boat tied up?

My "wakeboard lifestyle" is about getting on the water early and being done before most of the folks in that pic have cracked their first beer.
Old     (wakenwake)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
everything listed is above is a bonus. I ride because it makes me think only on the here and now. I don't think about anything else and my friends and I all push each other when were out. I probably would ride less if i were the only rider riding all the time though
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
lon wakeboards for himself. if he wanted any of that bs, he would just pay cash money for a hooker.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-19-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
Looks like a bunch of posers, . Don't get me wrong, if I wanted to watch half lit tight asses riding the pole I'd be parked right in the middle. That's not what riding is about in my opinion.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-19-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
My stories pretty much like Jeremy's with a bit of lakesides thrown in, so yes. and yes yes yes.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-19-2010, 9:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycejb328 View Post
Can't really say anyone in my crew is down with any of the above mentioned. Plus I prefer riding in the mornings, the beach is dead, no girl I know would get up that early to come out.
damn bro - you just threw your whole crew under the bus. trust me homey - bring out some girls in bikinis and I won't tell you to let me off on the dock!
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       07-19-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
All those things turn me off wakeboarding. "Party" scene, poser girls, Crowded boats and waterways... Couldn't turn me away more.

Like a couple of the posters-- I'm the guy with a few good mates out on the early water, riding behind a fishing boat getting amped on everyone's progression.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-19-2010, 11:11 PM Reply   
"Yes to all the above I ride the early morning glass and then the drinking and bikinis come out in the afternoon when the water is crap. I think most people would still ride, the real question is would we still have these high dollar blinged out boats with huge stereos? "

I agree Tyler!

Why is everyone being so judgemental about the people that choose to hang out at ski beach? I enjoy hanging out there its great fun, just like going to the launch ramp at the end of a holiday weekend to watch the people try getting there boats out of the water. It brings enjoyment! To each their own, just don't try pretending that your better then anybody else because you've never been to ski beach!

I know for a fact allot of people on here hang out there because I see and hang out with them there. In fact I think I see my boat in Jason's pic! lol
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 11:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
lon wakeboards for himself. if he wanted any of that bs, he would just pay cash money for a hooker.
Lon likes ski beach so much he decided to sink his boat to keep his official VIP party zone spot
Old     (thiney)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-20-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
So if everyone avoides the ski beaches and bikinis where did all of these boat bun and boobes for balast pictures come from?
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-20-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Yes to all...we have none of that where i am. In order to get to ride I drive an hour at 4:30am the an hour to work at 7am. Pretty ,uch an hour commute every time I want to ride
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-20-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
I don't have any of those things when I ride, and prefer not to deal with the aggravation. I don't drink when we're out to ride and no one else on my boat does either (though I've made it clear I don't have a problem with anyone else having drinks, just don't get stupid and whoever is driving while I ride stays sober), for the most part the boat only goes out to ride. Usually I have 3-4 people and we all take turns until we're too tired to go any more, sometimes bring sandwiches for lunch if it'll be a long day. But for the most part, just get out, ride for a few hours, get back in, after boat is put away then crack a beer and fire up the grill.

Guess I'm just not too much into the beach party scene, but I'm not into the bar/club scene either. Just seems like inviting trouble, especially so many expensive boats cluttered in a small area with fairly young and inebriated folks everywhere. I prefer to get out and ride, what keeps me going hard is when I have folks riding with me who are always looking to outgun the rest of us, talking a little trash, but gives you a fist pump or a cheer when you do something new or just do something clean, and lets you know when you're not giving it 100%. I don't have the best boat or the best equipment, but I'm up at 5:30 AM every weekend getting the boat ready and hoping my crew gets up at a decent hour so we can roll early, and damn near 100% of my time on the water is spent riding. When the water hits 55* I'm riding, and until it dips below 55* I'm riding.
Old     (rawB)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-20-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
Would you still be a wakeboarder if you had a runabout with a 50 horse outboard, no weight, an old strechy ski or tube rope and skurfer with sandle straps wearing a fishing vest and a mesh lined speedo suit?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-20-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawB View Post
Would you still be a wakeboarder if you had a runabout with a 50 horse outboard, no weight, an old strechy ski or tube rope and skurfer with sandle straps wearing a fishing vest and a mesh lined speedo suit?
only if I could wear my boy wonder ball huggers instead....
Old     (RobMuff)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-20-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
i like to wakeboard cause i can't surf or am tired of skating. if you need wakeboarding to get girls you're probably a tool. same goes for partying, thats like the easiest thing to do. ever
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
1. no, we are multitaskers, we ride and party...
2. no, my boat always has at least one hot chick that shreds...
3. no, i cant do a raley, but all of the bikini clads get stoked at progression. they cheer harder for a near miss on new steez than they do for the same old tantrum or whirly...
4. no, ski beach is the only place i feel comfortable in my speedo and clincher gloves....
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
Is there anyone out there who would realistically stop riding for those reasons? Maybe all your tricks were learned just to impress the ladies? Nothing wrong with that, in a lot of cases it helps to learn a new trick.

Honestly just curious.
Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Yes to all but I agree, having a girl on board does help me progress, or at the very least try to progress. Its all about the people and being able to take some stress out. If you need to be drinking and partying with bikini clad girls at the beach I don't see why you need to have a wakeboard on your rack either? You're not going to be using it...
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2010, 2:22 PM Reply   
Can you imagine if all those people at ski beach were actually out wakeboarding? There would be so many more rollers to deal with. Frankly i'm glad that they go and buy their 50-100K boat, outfit it with all the accessories and drive a couple miles and sit for hours. But it's definately not for me.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-21-2010, 8:03 PM Reply   
Yes across the board. I never go to ski beach anyways with my crew. We like just riding down Vics or Railroad all day long while everyone else is getting hammered at ski beach.