Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-17-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Spring is coming up and I am looking to take a trip to do a photo shoot/article so I am trying to figure out where to go. Where are the up and coming riders, cool lakes or waterways, cool wake scene, cool peeps, and enough happening on and off the water that would keep me busy shooting for a weekend and make for a good article as well.

I am planning to do this sometime in april!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Come to NZ, we will hook you up
Old     (x_rated)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-17-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Arun, Colorado would be a killer place! People are trying to push the sport I have a some guys I ride with that could put on a good show for you! You could get some killer shoots here!! Rocky Mountians! maybe wakeboard and snowboard in the sameday! I have!
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-17-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Darren, I was looking to do a 2-3 day trip... but I might have to re-consider that. By the way, my buddy Dave from DPC Films just arrived in NZ today. Shooting for his new wake vid.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-17-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Poonjab. Long time. Hope the shop is doing well. Buffy said we lost you to surfing awhile back.

Colorado is cool as JD mentioned. Kinda like Disco 10 years ago (with limited water). Lot's of up and coming riders that are starting to push it. Try to make it out for a contest - we'll keep you busy. We haven't released the dates yet but PM me and I'll give the skinny on dates and visitors. Maybe we could get you to put on a demo!!
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-17-2009, 1:38 PM Reply   
Come up to Sacramento, i can get a few guys rounded up that all rip. We always have place for you to stay as well.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Arun like Brodie said. Come to Sac town and we wont let you down. We have some sick winch spots not also.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-17-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Dallas, TX! GREAT wakeboarding scene with a huge local following and some sick up and coming riders. There are some nice local riding spots, and of course there are tons of off-lake activities to do here as well.

And if you're looking for a good story, there is a brother duo here that would make a great story. They are both sick riders but even better people. Here is a video from this past summer of Kyle and Luke Thompson: http://www.kyleswakeboarding.com/SpinToWin.mov

Visit our discussion boards to see all the love of wakeboarding in our area.
www.dallaswakeboarding.com
www.wakeboardchurch.com

(Message edited by eubanks01 on February 17, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardmatt)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-17-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Come to shasta.
So many up and coming rippers!
I'd say nor cal is where it's at.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-17-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Perrysville Ohio - you wanted up and coming right?
Old     (jayroe65)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-17-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
The Thompson Brothers are sick riders and they are great people to hang around. The Dallas/Fort Worth area is a great place to ride and has a great community.

(Message edited by jayroe65 on February 17, 2009)
Old     (mtnsun)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
The wake scene here in Colorado has exploded over the past few years. Some good core riders, great contests and big names coming to do clinics. The nice thing about being here is that one day you can be up in the mtn's rippin up the slopes and the next day you are out on the lake throwing down a phat session. (ABasin is open until June-July for skiing & snowboarding).
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-17-2009, 2:20 PM Reply   
Dude look no further. Minnesota is the Place to be in the summer time! Cant put a price on 10,000 Lakes. Colin Ryan and I can show you a good time, some sick water, and sick riding!

I wish I had shots of the butter on this lake, I was taking shots of the storm coming in. My wifes parents backyard, only 15 houses on the whole lake, its 160 feet deep 20 feet from shore so the wake is boosting. Just one example in the "Land of Sky Blue Waters." 1 of 10,000 imagine what the other 9,999 lakes can offer up.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-17-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
http://slingshotsports.wordpress.com/

read the second post by Jeff McKee entitled show us your scene. He wrote the article about our crew in Texas. We have some videos up, and have things planned pretty much til summer. Come down, and we'll show you some of the Texas scene, and what we're doing to change the sport!

Shredtown.blogspot.com
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
DFW,TX and its pretty big ,getting near cali big :-)

although IMO its getting too big as it was cool to "spread the stoke "with promoting this great sport but now the lakes are getting way too crowded and hard to find good water consistently..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
BTW Jarett that would be cool to have a photo shoot and other stuff here but im going to be "that guy"(im a selfish SOB ") who says id rather not see it ,go to austin and shoot their favorite spots and riders and dont publish our for all to see,its been done in TBKS and wakeboard mag ,we dont neeed that kind of exposure IMO.. :-)

stay away from my spots ! :-)
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-17-2009, 3:06 PM Reply   
bill, i will make sure to stay away from your spots no problem at all.
Old     (jhilltn)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-17-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
knoxville- a lot going on
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
Southwestern VA. Smith Mountain Lake/Virginia Tech wakeboard club. SML especially though. Although it might not be classified as "up and coming" anymore... There are a ton of sick riders from that lake though.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
DFW,TX area should definitely be on your short list. Great area and great wakeboard community. Don't let Bill scare you away, he has a big bark but is really a great guy. If you can drive an older Supra 22 without perfect pass he may even offer you a pull,LOL. Plenty to shoot at Lake Lewisville party cove as well each weekend!!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       02-17-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
Costa Rica for the most amazing scenery. Bring some pro's though; just a handful of riders here. Which also means no other boats around...
Old    wiz            02-17-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
j hill----you're funny!!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-17-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Chattanooga may surprise you. The scene is growing and riding the TN through downtown would probably provide you with some great photos.
Old     (coyotesexual)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-17-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
Wilmington North Carolina, two shots have been published in Alliance this year from one trip of TP and Jeff House to Wilmington, check www.telepromptedanthems.com videos of the crew, the scene and to get a feel for what we have going.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-17-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
Great Idea...Arun take me to Costa Rica.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
Not to de-thrown MN, but Wisconsin has more lakes.... Wisco is awesome in the summer, you could do a thing on the "midwest" in general
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-17-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
Knoxville TN has a huge scene checkout knoxwake.com sometime. In the summer we have a rail contest every thursday night at wild wings and contest about every month somewhere different throughout the year. Also this year in June the PWT tour is coming here. The scene is getting bigger and bigger all the time. With supra moomba and malibu being made here its been great.we were told buy a wakeboard rep (want metnion who) that we are doing more than anyone on the east coast take that for what its worth. If you would like anyother info feel free to email me jbaggett@tnrmt.com
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
*I just heard that MN WI fact on the news.... i looked it up...
MN has more lakes over 10 acres
WI has more total lakes but like 3,000 that are 4-9 acres so they don't count.

Sorry!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
Hi Arun, is Dave here for the Global Warning shoot?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-17-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
Central Oregon,

Upload
Old     (tan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-17-2009, 6:18 PM Reply   
What up Arun, come up to Portland Or
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-17-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
One place that I garuntee you that you havn't thought of is Arkansas. We have some sick riders on boards and skates, waterways, and progressive shops. All in a totally unknown enviorment.

The water way's are pretty sick, the people are better than you will find in any other part of the country, and the rider's (Though not as vast in number) are young, and bursting with talent.

Plus we have some of the most progressive shops in the biz.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2009, 6:57 PM Reply   
Bakersfield, CA baby!! We have nothing but glass.....all day, everyday!
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-17-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Another Tx from me! Come on down I'll show ya some sick riding spots and sick winching spots as well
Old     (kylepower8)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-17-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Hit up New England.
Old    alloydadams            02-17-2009, 7:11 PM Reply   
Arun, we'll be shredding for a week straight march 16 - 22 in Athens, Texas. You should come down and we'll ride boat, rails, and build somethin thats never been done before.

www.shredtown.blogspot.com
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2009, 8:51 PM Reply   
Here are a few reason's why Wilmington, NC is the best place to shoot some pics...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Like nick said TP and Jeff House both had printed photo's here. We have a great fun crew that wants to do nothing but ride all day everyday. Definitly check us out.
PS, Just a bonus but right next to that dock is a few awesome bars. One which you can buy 40's. Brown bag it in the bar.
www.telepromptedanthems.com

(Message edited by eyekahn on February 17, 2009)
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-17-2009, 10:19 PM Reply   
what wake scene?

chicago -- only really have one group of people running meets
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2009, 10:23 PM Reply   
You can stay at my house.... this is the view 5 days a week... then the weekend comes because everyone who isn't riding in Chicago/Milwaukee/Madison is at their vacation home up here.
Upload

(Message edited by sidekicknicholas on February 17, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2009, 10:25 PM Reply   
nm, april is still freezing here.
Old     (bcnumber1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-18-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
NY, tons of lakes in the adirondacks and finger lakes. Not too many riders but you cant beat the background
Old     (x_rated)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-18-2009, 9:13 AM Reply   
Arun-
Hope you can make it out Jeff and Steve and I can Show you around! August should be awesome!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-18-2009, 9:36 AM Reply   
I propose an Houston aka htown trip for the texas run and you can ride in a heater in march and skin it in april .I heard the trinity in htown is similar to the delta ,maybe not as long but some of the best water in texas plus great riders and a good scene being near the coast,

id be willing to come join that trip from dfw maybe with dfw riders road tripping it down there for this event .we have the talent ,weather and the water so lets do it..
?
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-19-2009, 12:32 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread. I would love to shoot and do an article on all of the places mentioned but obviously the budgets I have would not cover it so I am trying to narrow it down. I also received quite a few emails in regards to this so I am trying to catch up with responses. I will respond just give me a couple of days. Thanks again to everyone! I really, really, appreciate it. I love the wake community!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-19-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
Spring Ride, Arun... Come on out. Second weekend in May. Bass Lake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Arun, I think you inadvertently created the happiest post in recent WW history. Everyone is stoked on their ride spot and stoked on wakeboarding in general!!

Central CA, we've got some great lakes and its a short jaunt.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-19-2009, 4:32 PM Reply   
There are some great up and coming riders in the central valley of CA and I think you would have a blast doing a photoshoot up here. Let me know I can put you in contact with some people.

Private lakes and great water! Upload
Old    thebiggmann            02-19-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
Northern Wisconsin=nonexistent. I'm doing my best to try and get some people out though, so we'll see how this summer goes.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
One of THE most popular places to visit and party and camp and... pretty much escape and do anything, especially wake, ("MayDay" and other great films, LF BRO-STOCK for example) ---> LAKE POWELL,

BUT... the LOCAL wake scene is pretty obscure. small tourist trap of a town with little wake-representation. few people own a boat (like myself, but that don't stop me). sad there is not more going on really