Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-22-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
I ride a pair of liquid force shanes from 2011. These bindings are falling apart and I want to get something new. I like the way these ride so I am looking for something comparable. There is one problem with them. I stub my toe against the front top of the boot far too often. As a result my summers are spent with bloody looking big toenails. Any suggestions on a good boot that does not have this problem. I was considering the hyperlite team boots but I am open to other boots and brands (I have a slight discount on hyperlite). I don't know if I would have the same problem in the teams or not. Trying to stay away from systems. Thanks
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-22-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Ronix Cells or Ronix Code 55.
and sounds like you could go a size smaller too.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Everyone is loving the Josh Twelker boot by CWB.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
year after year ronix has had some of the best padding in the toe-box area. with that said you might try a weird thing i and my buddy do: We buy our boots a little big and then wear thick neoprene booties to beef-up the cush. haha.

best of all, if possible, is to go try on a few different pairs in the shop and see how they feel
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2013, 3:17 PM Reply   
Open toe boots never had that problem.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
personally i am devout slingshot . their boots are pretty good in the toebox too.
here is a cross section i dug up for ronix. the padding doesn't thin-out in the toe box as much as most brands. the tongue padding on ronix boots is pretty awesomely thick like 1/2 an inch or more, so i can imagine that the toe box is got about 1/4 inch padding i bet
Attached Images

Last edited by wakerider111; 07-22-2013 at 3:44 PM.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
Liquid Force Bob... open toes awesome boots. You won't miss the closed toe at all.
Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-23-2013, 6:16 AM Reply   
For those of you who mentioned open toe options.... does open toe reduce your board control at all? I remember the brag on them originally was that they gave you more control by allowing your toes leverage against the top of the boot. If they make no difference with control I may just go with open toe.... no chance of subbed toes there.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercorps View Post
For those of you who mentioned open toe options.... does open toe reduce your board control at all? I remember the brag on them originally was that they gave you more control by allowing your toes leverage against the top of the boot. If they make no difference with control I may just go with open toe.... no chance of subbed toes there.
In my opinion, no. I never believed that. I can't wait until everything goes back to OT
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-23-2013, 4:18 PM Reply   
I agree with J-rod, I can't wait for the closed to fad to go away... we aren't snowboarders and it doesn't give you any more control... if i thought open toes were holding me back from progressing I'd switch to closed toes but honestly I see no difference. In fact I ride better in open toes since I'm not worried about breaking my toe and being out for 4-6 weeks while it heals. I'd estimate I have about 1 landing every 6-8 weeks where I'm very thankful I have on open toe bindings. Maybe my whole crew is just old school since we are all 30+ riders but none of us ride closed toe.
Old     (TNWake)      Join Date: May 2013       07-23-2013, 6:05 PM Reply   
i would say 1 plus for the cells or code 55 boots in my opinion ronix makes the best boots
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       07-23-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Open toes are legit and I used them for years... 2 things that drew me to closed is putting my full foot through the toe and that was a bad time on the water. We ride very early and very late and open toes freeze my feet in 34 to 40 deg. Everybody has a preference and that's why they make both...
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-24-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
I went to closed toe because the boots that fit me happened to be closed toe.. not other reason. If they were open - I'd be riding open. I can't feel a difference.

They ARE a bit better in cold weather, but that's pretty minor.
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       07-24-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
I went from a pair of LF Watsons with open toe, to Ronix Ones with closed toe. I like closed toe, but I miss the support and response of the Watsons. They were a little more stiff, which I like. My next pair will be closed toe Watsons. I like the Ones though. The closed toe makes them responsive but not locked in since they're more flexible.
Old     (Kerry)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-25-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
Bought 2012 Ronix ones last year and severely jammed my toe twice. Still can't move my big toe the same. Bought Ronix Kai's for much cheaper halfway through the summer last year and the support is very much the same. Little less custom comfort than the ones but ultimately my riding is just as good and I have not hurt my toe at all....Even though I was landing scarecrows pulling to far away from the boat, at least if i accidentally do that, I'm not jamming my toe.
Old     (dhyams)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-26-2013, 9:21 AM Reply   
I've never had a stubbed toe with Liquid Force Sovens. Seems like the key is find a boot that fits your foot snugly, especially over the bridge of your foot, so that they can't slide forward.