Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-06-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Well, almost lake time, and I've got a couple questions i thought i'd throw out there for the Wake World experts.
I recently purchased 4 Krypt HLCD's for my boat to replace the 4 Polk audio 651's I had on my tower. Let me say, I'd much rather have wetsounds, but the wife almost killd me when I told her what they were going to cost!
Any ways, I have the 4 new speakers on their way, but have no Clue what AMp I should be running to give them the proper power. I have a Kicker 300.4 amp right now running the 4 Polk 651's but they cant handle what my new ones will . I believe the Krypt's will handle 150 Watt RMS, but I have no idea what that is. should I look at a 600 watt amp 4 channel? two channel? I'd like something that will run the crap out of my new speakers, but is not running the amp hard.
I have no clue what 2 ohm vs 4 ohm, RMS vs. watts? So I guess what i'm looking for is someone to explain what that is, or more importantly, if you had 4 krypt audio speakers for your tower, what would you use to power them, and how would you power them?
I appreciate you time, thanks for the advice in advance.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-06-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
I currently have my 2 Krypt 8" HLCDs powered by a Kicker zx350.4, bridged to 2 channels. It powers them reasonably well, but Im thinking of going bigger.
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-06-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
I assume you got the 6.5" Krypts since you mentioned 150 watts. If that's the case, I would look at running a strong 2-channel amp. I'm no professional and not as knowledgeable as a lot of the guys on here but if I had to pick something out right now I would go with one of the following. And since you mentioned being on the wife budget, these are going for a good deal right now.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GT-24...shed-P710.aspx

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/GT-28...shed-P711.aspx

There are really a lot of options out there but the GT24 would work and the GT28 would make them absolutely scream.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-06-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
Damn...that's a killer deal on those BA amps.

I'd go for that GT28...you'd have a little overhead to work with and wouldn't have to overwork it to get the full potential out of those HLCD's
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-06-2011, 4:24 PM Reply   
I run the Arc Audio KS 300.2

It is a 2 channel amp that puts out around 180 watts to each speaker. 180 x 4 at 2 ohms.

It is an very efficient amp.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-06-2011, 4:41 PM Reply   
that is a KILLER deal on the GT-28.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-06-2011, 8:53 PM Reply   
THose are awseome deals, any thing on a mono sub amp like that?
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-06-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
Haven't done my research but I am not familiar with a mono amp from boston. I'm curious to hear from someone with Vibe Audio Litebox series amps... big power, small size, priced right, and class g or h or g/h...?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-07-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
From my research - they are re badged Arc Audio "mini" amps.

I have heard that Arc's are good.

Why not look at the KS series - they aren't that much bigger?

Dimensions: 5-1/4"D x 11-3/4"W x 2"H

Dimensions: 11.25"(L) x 8.0"(W) x 2 3/8"(H)
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-07-2011, 9:41 AM Reply   
another vote for KS300.2 or run an Exile Xi1K, both great amps. ARC costs alittle less, but you also get less power as well.

Either of these 2 amps would do you just fine, what ever you do stay away from low cost amps, if you pay $200 for an 800 watt amp you are going to regret it. When it comes to good power you get what you pay for, or negotiate.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-07-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
I am running 4 krypt 6.5's on the hifonics zeus 150.4. its rated at 150x4 rms and its affordable. I did a little research on it and people only had good things to say about them.

http://www.hifonics.com/Hifonics_Zeus_ZXi_Amps.html
Old     (canadian_waterboy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-11-2011, 12:21 AM Reply   
I'm an amateur in the audio world, so please excuse my profound lack of knowledge, but how exactly would you run 4 speakers on a 2 channel amp? Wouldn't you need a channel for every speaker? or would you have to buy two 2 channel amps?
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-11-2011, 2:26 AM Reply   
2 speakers run in parallel on each channel. Assuming they are 4-ohm speakers and the power ratings match up. Here is a great site that explains almost anything one would need to know about car audio systems. (or marine audio)

http://www.bcae1.com/

Last edited by whelchel86; 03-11-2011 at 2:28 AM. Reason: just cause