Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-16-2011, 10:30 PM Reply   
Trying to compare a couple different boats here... I am beginning to entertain the idea of purchasing a boat more for surfing than wakeboarding. But I would also like the boat to produce a quality wake for wakeboarding as well.

The RZ2 is rated very high for off the showroom floor performance for wakesurfing. Does anyone here have experience riding/surfing behind both the VLX and RZ2 boats to see the comparison and which boat will produce a better wake?

How is the wakeboarding wake for the RZ2?

And lastly, who is the Tige dealer for the Sacramento area???? I cant seem to find anything on the web for a local dealer in the sac area. Even tried searching the Tiger website and no luck there.

Thanks for any input....
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-17-2011, 6:17 AM Reply   
Talk to the guys at Wake9.com about how they like the RZ2. They have a lot of video on the surf wave it produces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0f6t...ayer_embedded#!

I have not seen many pics of the VLX surf wave, but here is a video of a slammed Bu 247

Not trying to move you away from the RZ2 or Bu VLX, both are great boats. But here are a few more boats that have great surf waves and solid wakeboard wakes
Centurion: Enzo 230/240 and Avalanche
Sanger V237 Surf Edition
Supreme 226 Surf Edition
MC X25

Good Luck

Note: any boat you buy (even the RZ2) will need the ballast system upgraded. A lot of guys now are running nearly 2,500lbs on the surf side. The Bu 247 in that video is running nearly 4,000lbs. Guys are accomplishing this by running custom sacs that fill the entire back locker and area under the seats up to the windshield. The custom sacs are generally around 1,500lbs.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 01-17-2011 at 6:24 AM.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
Go check out the wakesurfing forum as there are a few riders behind the Malibu and the RZ2. I personally have an RZ2 and love it since I put in a custom surf sac that is just over 1,000 lbs.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-17-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
The Tige with the Pro-Ballast option will give you 600# on your rear surf side and up to 800# in the bow. With the new Tige ballast, that 350# Surf/Pro sac can easily be swapped out for a custom that will hold 1000+. It's a simple plug and play swap.

I surfed an 09 VLX with the factory hard tank filled and a partially filled 750 sac on top and the wake was more then enough for my beer-drinking rec-surfing butt.

I think either would do want you want, but the key is to get a pull behind each properly weighted $.02.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
I agree with Mike in that you definitely want to ride behind both first because some people like a steep ramp and a tall wave and others might like a more gradual ramp and longer wave, etc.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-17-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
I am going to be scheduling some demos over the next few weeks to get a true idea of what they offer. I watched the Wake 9 video on the RZ2, according the "ragboy" with the upgraded pro-pack ballast option the surf wake is dialed in off the showroom floor. Have not seen much video on the VLX I will need to hunt some down. Hopefully the test drives will help out.

I did find out today Tige only has one dealership in California right now! and its down in Southern California. This is a big red flag for me living in Nor-cal, what a PIA to get your boat serviced and worked on! I cant believe they do not have a Nor-cal dealership right now..... Unless they tow the boat up to me, probably wont be able to test drive it.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.... appreciate it.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-17-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
Hit up Ragboy and see if he will take you out for a test drive as he is in Norcal.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-17-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
I watched the Wake 9 video on the RZ2, according the "ragboy" with the upgraded pro-pack ballast option the surf wake is dialed in off the showroom floor.
I am not knocking the Tige, I think it is a great (and its made in TX). But just keep in mind that Ragboy rides with a lot of people ballast. I dont believe any manufacturer makes a boat with enough ballast on one side to make a great surf wake (can you ride it yes, will you want to up grade quickly yes). This is not a big deal since all the new boats come with plug in play. All you would need to do with the Tige is swap out the 350lbs bag the comes with the Tige Surf ballast with a 750/1,000/or custom sac (I believe Ragboy has upgrades his RZ2 with 1,200lbs custom sacs). Honestly, if I was to order a Tige, I would order their 2,000lbs ballast system. This system comes with 2x400lbs sacs in the bow (one on each side). This way I could just fill up the side I was surfing on. For some reason the Tige Surf ballast system comes with 1x400lbs sac that fills up under the entire bow.

In reality, you put enough weight in any boat on one side and you will get a good surfable wave. I just lean towards the boats that can put most of it under the seats and both Tige and Bu can do that. Both those boats are so great that it would come down to $ and dealer for me.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 01-17-2011 at 2:36 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-17-2011, 2:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
I am not knocking the Tige, I think it is a great (and its made in TX). But just keep in mind that Ragboy rides with a lot of people ballast. I dont believe any manufacturer makes a boat with enough ballast on one side to make a great surf wake (can you ride it yes, will you want to up grade quickly yes). This is not a big deal since all the new boats come with plug in play. All you would need to do with the Tige is swap out the 350lbs bag the comes with the Tige Surf ballast with a 750/1,000/or custom sac (I believe Ragboy has upgrades his RZ2 with 1,200lbs custom sacs). Honestly, if I was to order a Tige, I would order their 2,000lbs ballast system. This system comes with 2x400lbs sacs in the bow (one on each side). This way I could just fill up the side I was surfing on. For some reason the Tige Surf ballast system comes with 1x400lbs sac that fills up under the entire bow.

In reality, you put enough weight in any boat on one side and you will get a good surfable wave. I just lean towards the boats that can put most of it under the seats and both Tige and Bu can do that. Both those boats are so great that it would come down to $ and dealer for me.
The Tige bow sac is actually the Fly High W711 Integrated Bow sac and holds 600+ in the bow of the RZ boats and about 500+ in the Ve boats.

And yes, Ragboy is using a couple of my Custom Plug'n-Play sacs in his. They are a simple and direct swap-out for the factory 350# sac that comes with Surf/Pro ballast. The starboard side is a little shorter, but is right at about 1000# and the port comes in close to 1200#. And thats all stowed away.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-18-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
I am going to be scheduling some demos over the next few weeks to get a true idea of what they offer. I watched the Wake 9 video on the RZ2, according the "ragboy" with the upgraded pro-pack ballast option the surf wake is dialed in off the showroom floor. Have not seen much video on the VLX I will need to hunt some down. Hopefully the test drives will help out.

I did find out today Tige only has one dealership in California right now! and its down in Southern California. This is a big red flag for me living in Nor-cal, what a PIA to get your boat serviced and worked on! I cant believe they do not have a Nor-cal dealership right now..... Unless they tow the boat up to me, probably wont be able to test drive it.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.... appreciate it.
Living in NorCal isn't a problem with a Tige. Before the Tige dealership closed their doors here, I got the service managers phone number and he performs the services to my RZ2 from my house now.

You just have to know people and WW is a great start. Then there is tigeowners also.