Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-01-2017, 5:12 AM Reply   
This past summer, every Friday after work a group of us would get out on the water to enjoy some glass on Lake Austin. Yet this time we ran across a lady on a Jet Ski that just couldn't get the message that she was riding too close to our rider. Maybe we could have handled it differently but after about 10 minutes of trying to wave her off there was no avoiding some tense words. You can watch all the way through or skip to 1:54 where it all begins. Let me know what you guys think!

Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       12-01-2017, 5:28 AM Reply   
You handled it better than I ever have and would in the future... I have no patience for ANYONE that follows my riders that close!

On an unrelated note... What's up with the vertical positioning of your mirror instead of horizontal? Seems like your field of vision would be next to nothing plus it looks to impair your forward vision some.
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-01-2017, 5:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corerider View Post
You handled it better than I ever have and would in the future... I have no patience for ANYONE that follows my riders that close!

On an unrelated note... What's up with the vertical positioning of your mirror instead of horizontal? Seems like your field of vision would be next to nothing plus it looks to impair your forward vision some.

Haha! Good catch! That mirror is so loose that the only way to get it to stay in one spot when we ride is to turn it vertical. Surprisingly you still get a wide enough view of the wake behind you that it is still functional. We just need to quit being lazy about it and tighten it up.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-01-2017, 5:40 AM Reply   
Very professional video. I would sound like a two tooth redneck if I did the commentary on a video.
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-01-2017, 6:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Very professional video. I would sound like a two tooth redneck if I did the commentary on a video.

LOL! Thank you! I'm totally stealing that! Two Toothed Red Neck! HAHA!!!

Last edited by h2oslider; 12-01-2017 at 6:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old     (whiteflashwatersports1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-01-2017, 6:55 AM Reply   
Cool video - Lake lice. I hate them. We carry an air horn for when they wont stop from just trying to wave them off. I usually slow down or stop and then blow the air horn at them to get their attention. Works every time.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2017, 7:00 AM Reply   
Well done - Super enjoyable
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-01-2017, 9:02 AM Reply   
great vid. applaud your patience with the careless folks you had to share that butter with. i'm pretty laid back but nothing gets my blood hot in a hurry like jetskiers playing too close. handled it well.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-01-2017, 9:39 AM Reply   
I really like these. Keep up the good work!
Old     (Droopington)      Join Date: Jul 2015       12-01-2017, 10:43 AM Reply   
My biggest peeve on the water...

Next time you should chase very close behind them zig zagging in the wakeboat blasting some Heavy Metal and start shooting flare at them... That should give them a good idea, of how it feels... Fucckkers
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-01-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
There's a hand sign that works really good for communication with jet skiers. Its just like the peace sign except you lower your index finger. Most jet skiers are familiar with this sign but if that does't work try doing the same thing with the other hand at the same time.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-01-2017, 11:33 AM Reply   
Enjoyed the vlog btw. good riding
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-02-2017, 6:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteflashwatersports1 View Post
Cool video - Lake lice. I hate them. We carry an air horn for when they wont stop from just trying to wave them off. I usually slow down or stop and then blow the air horn at them to get their attention. Works every time.

Hmmmmm........I think I like the idea of the airhorn. May just have to pick one of those up!
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-03-2017, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Well done - Super enjoyable

Thanks Jason!
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-03-2017, 4:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
I really like these. Keep up the good work!

Thank you!
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-03-2017, 5:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
Enjoyed the vlog btw. good riding

Thank you Stephen!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-04-2017, 8:55 AM Reply   
Great video, nice riding. Looks like a fun crew to have as regulars. The jet skier issue I think was handled well. I have done much worse under the same circumstances. In my defense the skiers were my children and I kinda sorta lost my mind for a little bit.

My poor suffering wife... LOL.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-04-2017, 9:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Great video, nice riding. Looks like a fun crew to have as regulars. The jet skier issue I think was handled well. I have done much worse under the same circumstances.
Me too, LOL. And like you not admitting the details on a public forum.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       12-04-2017, 9:46 AM Reply   
My wet sounds WS420BT intercom was super useful for this.
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-06-2017, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota4ce View Post
My wet sounds WS420BT intercom was super useful for this.
Now that would be pretty darn useful to have!
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-06-2017, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
Great video, nice riding. Looks like a fun crew to have as regulars. The jet skier issue I think was handled well. I have done much worse under the same circumstances. In my defense the skiers were my children and I kinda sorta lost my mind for a little bit.

My poor suffering wife... LOL.
Thanks! While I only have my first one on the way........I am slowly starting to understand the being protective part, so I don't blame you!
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2017, 11:32 PM Reply   
First of all, awesome riding in that video. I hope to be able to do some of that one if these days. I haven’t tried anythjng new in a looonnnnggg time (kinda switched to surf in my old age on this side of the hill), but met some new riders this past year that sparked my desire to ride again. And seeing videos like that fuel me even more, so lookin forward to getting in shape this off season and hopefully progressing next summer.

Secondly, I think you handled that with a lot of grace. I have ZERO patience for idiots on the water and that is way too close. People just don’t get it!! It literally is a glance away and not see a man down....and game over!! ....but on the flip side to that. I have had people kinda jump off my waves then even try to get my attention and make sure we are comfortable with it. For those people I invite them over, fill up my surf setup and say go at it! Have a blast! (Obviously no rider of course). But I assume it’s gotta be fun jumping off a big wake, so if they are respectful I try to offer let them have a ball and all enjoy the lake..

Unfortunately too many ignorant ones kill it for everyone because my first impression is “f’n jet skier” haha
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       12-12-2017, 9:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
First of all, awesome riding in that video. I hope to be able to do some of that one if these days. I haven’t tried anythjng new in a looonnnnggg time (kinda switched to surf in my old age on this side of the hill), but met some new riders this past year that sparked my desire to ride again. And seeing videos like that fuel me even more, so lookin forward to getting in shape this off season and hopefully progressing next summer.

Secondly, I think you handled that with a lot of grace. I have ZERO patience for idiots on the water and that is way too close. People just don’t get it!! It literally is a glance away and not see a man down....and game over!! ....but on the flip side to that. I have had people kinda jump off my waves then even try to get my attention and make sure we are comfortable with it. For those people I invite them over, fill up my surf setup and say go at it! Have a blast! (Obviously no rider of course). But I assume it’s gotta be fun jumping off a big wake, so if they are respectful I try to offer let them have a ball and all enjoy the lake..

Unfortunately too many ignorant ones kill it for everyone because my first impression is “f’n jet skier” haha

Thanks man! You're not alone in switching to the surfing game. Just about everyone we know our age on the lake have pretty much switched to wake surfing. With the youngest guy in this video being probably 36 or 37 (oldest 43) we are still clinging to our wakeboards till the knees or shoulders give out. We tend to stick to the tricks we know or just get back old ones, but there's talk in the boat of getting some new tricks next season so we'll see how that goes. Good luck riding next season and hang in there!!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-14-2017, 7:08 AM Reply   
I’ve had a Kevlar no stretch wakeboard rope for 15 or more years. Early in its career a jet skiir came within 6 -8 feet of my stern in the side the rope was on and ate it up and cut it. Ran to the doc, big confrontation as I’m holding the cut ends(one only 15 feet or less long -the part to the pylon showing how close they came to us) in the air to prove what they had done and were denying . That was my deciding days about them. Great rope that I weaved back together , still use it

In 16 Summer in friends Wakeboat, his lift boat mate who drives boats like s***, is jumping the wave while my wife is surfing I’m screeming at him to stop and then he makes a pass less than 10 yards under Power from my wife, I stop the boat and the freak out begins , dude is blind as a bat wears no correction and thinks he’s a jet ski master that can make close passes trying to tell me how he was a pro, I just lose it telling him he has no right to take risks with my wife’s life and if it ever occurs again it will get physical(least of what I really said)

Ridiculous kind of spoiled life and let live owner of boat and friends think I’m nuts. I know distance and I know risk and in both instances the pwc owner think their the gods of the water and they know best

I’ve seen lots of bad boat drivers but since they seem to realize their driving something the size of a car vs the size of a big motorcycle, they don’t seem to take same risks with others lives , and usually wave off immediately when confronted or asked
Old     (Spotless)      Join Date: May 2016       12-17-2017, 10:59 AM Reply   
Great Video, thanks for posting
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       12-17-2017, 12:52 PM Reply   
We have a big issue with lake lice jumping waves on our lake and DNR will give them big fines if they are seen...or if you get video which is good enough to show the registration #'s so they can track them down. It seems like the moment we start surfing they start showing up like they all got a text message. Most will back off once you give them a few signs to back off and if I don't have a rider I don't mind them doing some jumps and having some fun. I love to have fun and I owned jetskiis back in the day too, so I get it.... there are always a few that it takes ramping up to the next level cause they are just too stupid to realize they are endangering another human. I don't care if its a miniscual .0000001% chance of something going wrong, if I am responsible for my rider I wont allow any stupidity that could result in them getting hurt and would hope that someone pulling me would act the same way, if they don't I would not go out with them again.

So far, the only time I completely lost it over a jetski encounter was this summer. Its actually a very good think that the jetski was too fast for me to catch or I would have seriously hurt him.
My daughter was learning to ride a kneeboard so we were going fairly slow (like 12-14mph so boat was putting out a decent wake)) and we were staying well away from all other boats and traffic when this ski started buzzing around us jumping the wave. Not a respectful distance...but within 40ft of my daughter. 4 times I stopped and waited him out so he would get bored and leave but every time we started up, he would come right back. My wife finally went off on this idiot and he seemed to get the message and left the area....so finally my daughter is knee-boarding in peace having a blast when about 10mins later he suddenly cuts back into the cove and hits the wave doing 40-50mph, no less than 10-15ft behind my daughter. My vision literally went red and time seemed to slow down.... as he went past the boat maybe 20ft away with a big grin on his face, since I happened to be holding a bottle of water that was mostly full, I threw it with everything I had and by the grace of God, it hit him directly in the the head and knocked him off the side of the jetski. Lucky for him my daughter was first priority and I turned around to pick her up as she was crying since it had scared her so badly for him to be so close, going so fast. I got her in boat and he was still half in the water about 100ft away climbing back onto the jet-ski, I told everyone to hang on, aimed directly at him and put the throttle to the floor. He was watching us of course as that bottle of water surely got his attention and the look in his eyes when he saw that boat rear up and head right at him (owl eyes they got so big) still brings me joy to this day! That fool scrambled back onto the ski as I was bearing down on him and lucky for him it started right up as he pegged it and turned sharply at same time to avoid my boat. Had he not done that, I would have buzzed by within 2ft of him and let him feel what its like. I hope that he will not quickly forget that lesson and will show others a little more respect in the future. Especially when dealing with a papa bear. I am actually thankful that he escaped me cause despite what he did, I probably would have been the one going to jail had I been able to get hands on him, I was way to angry in that moment to care.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       12-19-2017, 5:52 PM Reply   
yeah, we usually wave them off...or if i am riding, i just turn and stare at them while riding until they go away. if they are unsafe we for sure wave them off.

i love the air horn idea to get their attention.

you know what? i am a dick...even if safe, i think those cheap bastards should pay me gas money if they gonna jump my wake. or give me a beer.
Old     (Kurzinator)      Join Date: Aug 2017       12-27-2017, 9:59 AM Reply   
Awesome shot with the water bottle D.