Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-24-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
I've been involved with varying degrees of organizing grassroots competitions for 12 years. As I was getting involved wakeboard was well into a shift of less contest riders. I spent 4-5 years prior to getting involved in organizing attending a few contests where there would be 80-100 grassroots riders that would show up.

One could describe our local timeline that I've been involved as:

2001-2005 - contests could attract 80-100 riders (don't know the average)
2006-2012 - contests could attract 50-60 riders (average being 30)
2012-2016 - contests could attract 40-50 riders (average being 20-25)
2017 - our biggest contest featured 21 wakeboarders (average being 10)

Canadian Nationals participation has also been on a decline in wakeboard boat from highs of 120-140 riders to lows of 60 (from 2006-2016) but numbers do fluctuate depending on the year and location of nationals.

Our Alberta Tour started as a Wakeboard tour and has evolved with changing demographics. It's a tough balance because adding different disciplines does alienate some people and they leave as a result but as an event organizer we need a baseline participation number to continue to provide the event.

We had an event for 4-5 years that included a recreational water ski contest in addition to wakeboard.

For the last 5 years we have included hydrofoil, we get 5-10 hydrofoilers but their participation has waned this year.

2015 - we added wakesurf at 1 of 5 events and had 8-10 surfers show up with half being crossover wakeboarders.
2016 we had wakesurf at 3 of 5 events and had 15-20 wakesurfers show up with half being crossover athletes.
2017 we had wakesurf at 4 of 4 events and had 30-40 wakesurfers with about 25% being crossover from wakeboard to surf or surf to wakeboard

(crossover being athletes that competed in both wakeboard and wakesurf).

With all of that I'm wondering how your local contests are doing and what changes they've made to remain viable events?