Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2015, 8:57 AM Reply   
So years ago, I had a buddy that wanted a board. So I contacted Nick and he said he had a used prototype laying around he would sell. Well long story short is, when he got the board I was reluctant to ride it, since I had a new one. All my buddies were raving about it, and I didn't want to believe them. The shape is so different then mine, and I had grown so used to riding mine.

So I finally tried it, the day was glass, probably 4 years ago. First run I pearled the board instantly, (my board is more for pumping and doesn't pearl easily) this always upsets me and I was slightly glad I was right! Second run I lightened my front foot up and wow, the board came to life, it was scary fast. My airs were amazing, the recovery was amazing and now I am upset that I didn't buy this "prototype". I then tried to offer my buddy cash to buy it, but he declined the offer.

I then spent the next 3 years trying to have Nick make me another one. The problem is the owner (good friend) didn't want to risk sending the board back in and having it damaged. The copies were never as good, they were close but never the same. In these 3 years everyone that rides it says the same thing, fastest board and best board they have ever ridden. Some of these guys have a very deep quiver, with all sorts of brands and models. The rocker is different, rails are different, nose is weirdly wide and longer, but somehow the board just works, and works amazing. I would almost always ride it exclusively if it was on my boat.

Well a buddy finally talked him into shipping it back; I have 6 friends ordering a copy. I couldn't be more excited for summer 2015!

Here is the blank outline. You can see it has strange stringers. I will post build pictures as I get them.

Stoked!!

Somewhere there are pictures of Chase killing it on this board.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
That's a cool story man! Can't wait to see some pics of the finished build and you guys rippin it up on them.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-12-2015, 11:59 AM Reply   
cool Nick is a good guy love the parabolic stringers been riding a soulcraft parabolic for a couple years now and just got a new one
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2015, 1:49 PM Reply   
Here are pictures of the original prototype.
Attached Images

Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-12-2015, 1:55 PM Reply   
That board has a really nice balance to it. The finished product weighed in at sub-5lbs; 5.9 ounces with traction and fins. It had two layers of 4oz S-glass on the bottom, and 3 layers of 4oz S-glass on the top. Over 5 years later, it is a bit off color, but has only 1 rail ding. Crazy. It was shaped by hand from a raw 6'8" blank with parabolic stringers set for a performance shortboard in the 6'2-6'4 range.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-12-2015, 2:24 PM Reply   
It rests in custom made padded board racks and the owner is as meticulous as they come!
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       03-12-2015, 2:31 PM Reply   
Awesome! Love the story. Can't wait to hear how it rides!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-12-2015, 2:52 PM Reply   
Cool story bro. No seriously, cool story, not just saying that. I'm happy for you that he finally decided to send it back to get reproduced. Interesting lines and shape, looks like a fun ride.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-16-2015, 2:05 PM Reply   
Builds getting underway.
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-16-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
What the specs vs weight range for the boards Nick?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-17-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
I have buddies that rip on the original from 160-210 or so. My wave is big though.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-17-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Hey A.J.
The 4'5"-4'6" will be good up to 175lbs-180.
The 4'8"-4'9" will be up to 230lbs.

Nick
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-25-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
Fresh stacks of clean canvases waiting for each rider to put their own spin on.
Attached Images

Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-25-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
this board is like a west coast legend...
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-25-2015, 4:38 PM Reply   
Very nice Nick. Update this thread with the artwork when you are done with each please.
Old     (CarbonSurf)      Join Date: Jun 2014       03-26-2015, 10:20 AM Reply   
Looks sick guys super air, hope my knees hold up.
Old     (mxvet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
I rode Chris' board while he was on my boat when they came through on endless wake tour last summer. Although the shape and feel where strange to me at first ( soulcraft honu rider) once I got used to it, I was impressed. I also met Nick there - nice guy.

Are these boards open to the public? On short or limited supply or ?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2015, 2:08 PM Reply   
All boards are open to the public and available. However, the above picture is of a group of clear white boards heading off to a dealer in partial fulfillment of their order. A couple different sized Contenders, a few Carbon Flex Pros (Chris' Board) and a couple Chaos Pros (the board the thread was started about).

The honu and Carbon Flex Pro share some similarities, both have step deck to allow for increased volume, but yes that is really about it. The CFP is an aerial machine, set up for above the lip maneuvers and surf-style rotational riding (air reverses, air 180s, etc.). The honu has a fuller/wider template for larger riders and lower rocker.

Nick
Old     (mxvet)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for that info. If I were to order CFP or the Chaos Pro, what would delivery time look like?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-26-2015, 7:24 PM Reply   
About 3-4 weeks right now.

Nick
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-27-2015, 9:28 AM Reply   
mxvet, I tried to send you a PM to keep any advertising off this thread but they were not going through.If you are looking to get a Carbon Flex Pro sooner than 3-4 weels I have one in stock at Californa Marine Sports and can have it ready to ship today or tomorrow. Nick sent me a 4'8 CFP and a 5'0 Ringer XL for the first part of my shop order to make sure I had a few boards of his here in time for the Sacramento Boat Show.

Feel free to email me Steven at calmarinesports.com or give me a call at (707) 864-4007

For those who want to get boards sooner, talk to your local shop about carrying these smaller brands. The builders can only do so much and at a certain point they do what they can but wait times increase as they try to fulfill the orders. This would also get these newcomers into the sport on better boards being built by surfers.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-27-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Any one mailing out demos? :P
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-28-2015, 4:36 PM Reply   
Yep, pretty much what Steven said. If you are in the NorCal area then Cal Marine is a great resource and they have a CFP. They of course can ship it too. Depending on where you are located I can recommend a number of local dealers to go check in with to and what they may have in stock.

Nick
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-28-2015, 4:49 PM Reply   
For future reference, what is idea for a 5'9 220lb guy? I will be looking to purchase one later in the summer. Other boat priorities come first.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-28-2015, 6:00 PM Reply   
Tim, off the shelf you will need to look at a 4'8" board or longer. You are at or near the upper end of most 4'8" boards. A shorter board would have to be wider and thicker to be optimized for your size, or flatten-out to change up its displacement merging close to a skim board.

As far as what would be ideal style wise, I would need to understand more about your style and what you hope to achieve.

Nick
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-01-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Too good not to post. A 4'6" little beauty.
Attached Images

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-01-2015, 10:02 AM Reply   
Very nice. Would love to try one behind my boat.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-01-2015, 2:41 PM Reply   
Nick will you be bringing any sticks to the WCO?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-01-2015, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hey Tony,

Yeah probably. Also, Cal Marine will have a quiver.

Nick
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-24-2015, 10:04 AM Reply   
Ok, so I finally got the board and finally had time to try it. First impression wasn't great. I ride with a lot of "gas pedal" or lots of weight on the front food and it kept pearling. I decided to not give up on the board and rode it for two more sessions, making sure to use less gas pedal. Wow is this board fast and really comes alive! Airs and recovery were great, the board is just plain silly fast. Everyone loves it. Just have to get used to not leaning forward too much (also my wave is steeper so all boards pearl more easily). Nick changed a few things from the original, but the soul of the board is the same. Overall I am very very happy and I will be retiring my chaos custom from a few years ago!.

https://youtu.be/Z0_KDy9ZQXA

Last edited by duffymahoney; 08-24-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old     (stingreye)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-24-2015, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Ok, so I finally got the board and finally had time to try it. First impression wasn't great. I ride with a lot of "gas pedal" or lots of weight on the front food and it kept pearling. I decided to not give up on the board and rode it for two more sessions, making sure to use less gas pedal. Wow is this board fast and really comes alive! Airs and recovery were great, the board is just plain silly fast. Everyone loves it. Just have to get used to not leaning forward too much (also my wave is steeper so all boards pearl more easily). Nick changed a few things from the original, but the soul of the board is the same. Overall I am very very happy and I will be retiring my chaos custom from a few years ago!.

https://youtu.be/Z0_KDy9ZQXA
Sweet video Duffy! Nice air and that video angle is above the lockers so you are boosting even higher by internet video standards (most of the swim platform pics/videos that make everything look bigger)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-24-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
Here is my wave model from yesterday, all 5'1" of her. Wave looks huge!
Attached Images

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-27-2015, 10:49 PM Reply   
Boards look sick.

What boat is that duff Wake looks real real nice.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-28-2015, 3:23 PM Reply   
Tige 24v running lots of weight. I'm surfing at 12.5 in the video. (disclaimer, my boat says 12.5mph, but I have no clue how correct that is)