Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (redm1496)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
i appreciate your help. would that change how i wire them? why is it better to be at 4 ohm?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-02-2010, 3:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by redm1496 View Post
i appreciate your help. would that change how i wire them? why is it better to be at 4 ohm?
How are they wired now You have one pair, correct? If they are already wired on the tower in parallel at the speakers and you only have one speaker wire running down to where the amp will be, then your choices are: a full-range mono or rewire them.

I'm referring to keeping the amp at 4 Ohm by having one speaker p/chnl. Bridging a 4 chnl amp down to 2 chnls with a pair of 4 ohm speakers will have the amp "seeing" 2 ohms on all 4 chnls. This equals more heat being generated and more power consumption. The 30 watts x 2 diggerence between the 650.4 bridged and the 850.2 @ 4 Ohm, IMO, is not worth it.
Old     (redm1496)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
they are still sitting in the box. i'm just trying to think ahead.
Old     (redm1496)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
so i can get the kicker zx850.2 for $300. unless someone can suggest something better for a similar price or something just as good for cheaper i think i may have to buy it in the next couple days. i'm trying to get everything together and ready for the 4th.
Old     (redm1496)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
and i guess i will ask the question if the zx850.2 for $300 is worth it over the hifonics zxi-1010 for $185? i know what duffy would say
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
lol There are tons of great amps out there.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-03-2010, 4:54 AM Reply   
the speaker can issue I was referring to earlier in the thread was taken care of by Ken before the Memorial Day Holiday! I just sent him an email, and he got new cans shipped out to me ASAP and I was able to use the new cans for this past weekend!

New cans looks great, and I dont foresee an issues with this set. Im guessing I just happened to get a bad set because he had never heard of the issue I was having.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-04-2010, 7:52 AM Reply   
I am ruining three power acoustics amps they were cheap but put out lots of power I am very happy with them I am ruining all three at 4 ohms and have had zero problems and my system sounds amazing and with the cash I saved I was able to do other mods that made the boat perform better
Attached Images

Old     (redm1496)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-04-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
well bought the zx850.2 so hopefully they will have a good sound to them. next step, wiring!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-06-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
Got em up. They sound great.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2010, 7:03 PM Reply   
why can I see some of the pics posted in threads and not others....damn it!! Any other close ups of those cans AJ? I'm "browsing" (loose term) for a tower speaker set up and cannot afford WS or NVS so I was looking at the Krypt 8" HLCD's just based off some threads I found on WW to see if I could do it for a reasonable cost. I really like the black cans I found while browsing onlyinboards. I'd like to see some more of these setups. cans and amp setups.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-17-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I'll try to get some more pics.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2010, 7:31 AM Reply   
I'm trying to post pics of mine but I keep getting 'Upload failed' message. They are sized to 800x600, 125kb file sizes...
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-18-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
I'm trying to post pics of mine but I keep getting 'Upload failed' message. They are sized to 800x600, 125kb file sizes...
The easiest way is to upload them to photobucket.com, and then copy the image code. No resizing needed then.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-18-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
If you have xp or windows 7 just download microsoft image resizer. Then you can right click on any picture or group of pictures and resize quickly and easily.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Not sure if this will work, but I uploaded them on the Moomba forum. I can't get to Photobucket while at work.

Instead of using the standard clamps I decided to try something different; I drilled and tapped the horizontal cross-bar on my tower, and bolted the can bracket directly to the tower. I have a star washer between the tower and the can, and a lock waster on the head of the Grade 8 bolt. So far they seem really stable, actually alot more than I expected.

1 up, about to mount the other side:

SpeakerSox'd up!

Last edited by ian_ashton; 06-18-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-13-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
Ian, those photos should load fine. Send them to me and I'll take a look and figure out the problem.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-13-2010, 2:31 PM Reply   
I see the 8" Krypts going for really reasonable prices on eBay ($200-250) but I never see the 6.5" ones up there. I'd rather not have to deal with 8" cans if avoidable being that the 6.5s are so much easier to find or build out of PVC.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
For those of you who are running the krypt 6.5s are you pointing them directly back or slightly turned off to the sides? I have mine pointed straight back and I loose all sound when I"m in the flats and I can barely here them when I'm right behind the boat. Do you think this is a wattage problem? I know I'm not running a ton of power to them but I'm not sure if I can stand them being any louder while I'm in the boat! I'm planning on putting some sound deadening material inside the cans to help deaden the sound directly down to the driver and maybe direct it back to the guy on the rope.

I'm a bit baffled on why everyone loves these speakers but I can't seem to hear them very well. Whey the volume is up high enough to hear on the end of the rope how loud is in in the boat??
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-13-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Hmmm..... That's the biggest appeal of the HLCDs for me. I'm not into painfully loud music. I was hoping to make the sound audible at wakeboarding distance without deafening everyone in the boat. If that's not what these are capable of doing for me then I might just not have tower speakers.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Jeff,
I would seriously consider riding with someone that has towe speakers. I literally have to yell to the guy sitting next to me in the boat when I have the volume turned up loud enough for the rider to hear.

anyone else care to chime in?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-13-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
Jeff,
I would seriously consider riding with someone that has towe speakers. I literally have to yell to the guy sitting next to me in the boat when I have the volume turned up loud enough for the rider to hear.

And that's with HLCDs?

And do you have independent volume control for your tower speakers?
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-13-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Jeff,

same for me. I have the ws-420 as well. The HLCDs are LOUD!
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Jeff,

See my pics above. My 8" krypts are mounted on the rear bar of my tower and above my Bimini. When I fade the music to the tower speakers the rider can hear them perfectly and it is very mild to the people in the boat.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2010, 9:27 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Yes I have independant volume control in two ways. The first is they are on thier own amp so I can turn the amp gain to whatever level I want. The second is that my tower speakers are running off of the front set of preamp out puts and my boat speakers are running off of the rear set of amp speakers. Typically I just turn the fade so that it is all tower speakers because with just a little signal to the boat speakers when it is turned up it's too loud in the boat. I just simply use the tower speakers for all of the sound.

This is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I am thinking that putting some sound deadening material inside of the cans might help reduce the music inside of the boat coming from the tower speakers and allow me to listen to the boat speakers at a normal level.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-13-2010, 9:29 PM Reply   
ajholt-
How high are your tower speakers? Do you fade everytime a rider is on the line, or do you keep the fade somewhere centerline so that the boat passengers listen to the boat's speakers while the boarder listens to the tower speakers?
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-13-2010, 10:16 PM Reply   
You can see in my pic above they are pretty high. When someone is riding I usually have them faded about 3/4 to the tower. If I have people in the boat that are not into loud music I fade them fully to the tower. I find that I really don't have to turn them up all that loud for the rider to hear them. Maybe that is the big difference between the 8" and the 6.5".
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-14-2010, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have the 6.5 hlcd's and they rock they require lots of power I am pushing mine with 150 watts RMS each line the bottom of the cans with deadbeat this will help keep the sound up and out of the cabin
Attached Images

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-14-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
harold,
I saw your pics in another thread and have been looking for a few days trying to find "deadbeat." Do you know where I can find it? Is it the same thing as Dynamat?

Is there an off brand to Dynamat that would work in this application, that might be a little cheaper or work better? Essentially I want to eliminate as much sound in the boat coming from the tower speakers.
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-14-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
What do y'all think of Soundstream? I have one of their amps in my truck and I like it but it is running a sub so I can't really speak the sound quality...
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-16-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Corbin the dead beat is something I had lying around at the shop from old car installs but works great in keeping the sound up where it belongs.I think dynamat is quite similar and should work just as well
Old     (01centurion)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2010, 3:19 PM Reply   
Where are u getting the cans for the 8in speakers? Looked but I can't find them
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2010, 4:40 PM Reply   
They used to sell them on boardersmall. Also sometimes on ebay. Or from Krypt.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Also samson sports sells a swivel 8" can.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-16-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
Also samson sports sells a swivel 8" can.
They work but you have to drill out new holes, no biggie.